Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2019, 03:02 PM

5,014 posts, read 3,908,934 times

Advertisements

Been to:

Washington
Oregon
California
Nevada
Arizona
Texas
Colorado
Idaho
Missouri
Oklahoma
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Michigan
Illinois
Tennessee
Lousiana
Mississippi
Alabama
Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
North Carolina
West Virginia
Kentucky
Ohio
Indiana
Virginia
Maryland
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
New York
Connecticut
Rhode Island
Massachusetts
Vermont
New Hampshire
Maine

Favorites:

1. California- More diverse topography/cities/culture than some Countries can claim. How can any state top that?
2. Vermont- Just go get lost.. The charm is hard to describe. Chase waterfalls in the summer, foliage in the fall, ski towns in the winter, do a brewery tour around Burlington in the summer, find the best farm to table restaurant you can in the most remote town possible. Something just special about it
3. Massachusetts- Boston to Concord to Newburyport to Northampton to Nantucket, all within 90 miles of each other. The history, the costal towns, the town centers, the sports, the islands. No state feels more like what home should feel like, to me, than MA
4. Washington- The islands, Seattle, the mountains.. Colorado would be the direct competitor, but there is something hard to describe about the PNW vs. the mountain west. It just feels homier, more authentic (not you, Portland)
5. Virginia- Northern Virginia is truly wonderful, as are part of Maryland.. But, for some reason, driving through central VA to the blue mountains is awesome. You go from liberal, buzzing, old cities like Alexandria and Arlington, to southern, open, remote southern Virginia. It's the crossroads of the East Coast

Last edited by mwj119; 03-20-2019 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 03:23 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,296,053 times
I've been to 30 states. Most of the remaining 20 are in the Central and Mountain time zones, plus AK and HI. I'd love to hit all of them, but Alaska is probably top of the list.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:33 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,747,345 times
Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, Idaho, and Oregon are the 5 I've yet to see. Flew to Washington state once, to explain the gap. Would like to see all of those. Roadtrip to Alaska would be fun.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:49 PM

10,204 posts, read 15,907,585 times
I've visited over 30 states. There are many of these that I'd love to visit again and see more stuff that I didn't see particularly California, Tennessee, Florida, Colorado, Alaska, and Hawaii.

The only states I haven't been to but think would be cool to visit are Oregon and Vermont.

States I haven't been to and have no real interest in visiting -

Connecticut
New Hampshire
Maine
Rhode Island
Massachusetts
Minnesota
Michigan
Wisconsin
North Dakota
South Dakota
Iowa
Nebraska

I've lived in Louisiana, Maryland, and West Virginia.
My favorite states to visit are Florida, Colorado, South Carolina, Alaska, Hawaii, and California.

Specific places on my list I want to visit include Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Glenwood Springs CO, Clearwater FL, Maui, Smoky Mountains National Park, Gatlinburg, the Ozarks, and Chicago.

The states I dislike the most/found most depressing are New Jersey and Delaware. New Jersey doesn't have a single redeeming quality in my opinion. New York was cool to visit but will never live there. I also would never live in California despite the natural beauty there.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:32 PM

6,705 posts, read 6,707,372 times
all 50

California is the best

my native Mass. is good too, for six months of the year anyway

Great college towns everywhere - Missoula, Auburn, Chapel Hill, Boulder, Athens, Charlottesville, Amherst, New Haven (ok in a few parts), Princeton, Austin, Madison, Ann Arbor, Lawrence

Old 03-20-2019, 04:36 PM

6,705 posts, read 6,707,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmrtt View Post
I been to 47 states. The 3 states I haven't been to I'll love to go to, they are Maine, Alaska, and Hawaii. Hawaii especially, how long is that flight, from LA how long is it?
about 5 hours

super cheap flights now from Oakland since Southwest picked up the route

Old 03-20-2019, 04:57 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,892,628 times
Visited : Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, Ohio, Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Arkansas, Arizona.

Ones that I want to visit: Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, California. The one that I want to visit the most would be Alaska. I also would like to see North Dakota & South Dakota. Definitely the temperate rainforests out west.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:02 PM

434 posts, read 1,040,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
about 5 hours

super cheap flights now from Oakland since Southwest picked up the route
Good to know, thanks!!

Old 03-20-2019, 07:05 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,861,256 times
States I have visited moving west to east:

Hawaii
Alaska
Washington (current resident)
Oregon
California
Arizona
Nevada
Utah
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
Colorado
New Mexico
Texas
Oklahoma
Kansas
Nebraska
South Dakota
North Dakota
Minnesota
Iowa
Missouri
Arkansas
Louisiana
Mississippi
Tennessee
Kentucky
Illinois
Wisconsin
Michigan
Indiana
Ohio
Georgia
Florida
North Carolina
Virginia
Maryland
D.C.
Delaware
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
New York
Connecticut
Rhode Island
Massachusetts

States that I have not visited:

Alabama
South Carolina
West Virgina
New Hampshire
Vermont
Maine

I have more desire to visit Alabama and South Carolina than New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine, probably because the latter are somewhat similar to my native Washington State in some ways.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:27 PM

4,596 posts, read 2,986,126 times
Default New England

Have made short trips to MA/NH/VT, but would like to see more of each,
and also ME, CT, RI (have never visited those three).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.