Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 06:03 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,889,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
Actually a new edition came out this spring. I practically have mine memorized. Places Rated Almanac - The Classic Guide for Finding Your Best Places to Live in America by David Savageau!
Beautiful. Thank you, Marat. I've been waiting for 7-yrs for the new edition to come out & word was that it was now defunct after the millenium edition. We definitely needed a new one. I agree, it's a great resource. Placing my amazon order now... VV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 10:39 AM

84 posts, read 428,494 times
It sounds like you're more worried about avoiding humidity than avoiding cold, so that seems to cut off a lot of the southeast. Cost of living will make a lot of the northeast and northwest difficult.

100,000 is actually a pretty small city, and might not help support your desire for an active social life.

If you like the Midwest/Great Lakes region but Chicago is too expensive, maybe look at Milwaukee or Madison, WI. Ann Arbor, MI and some of the other Detroit suburbs are actually very nice and pretty well insulated from the problems of the city of Detroit. Jobs may be harder to come by in MI right now, but you didn't sound worried about your employability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsfdg View Post
It seems like the more I think about moving, the more I change my mind about what I want. I'm still considering the cities I mentioned in my last post, but I'm changing my criteria a bit.

I'm willing to live almost anywhere in the 48 contingent states that:

- Isn't extremely humid (~80% humidity or higher for more than a few weeks a year).

- Has a population of over 100,000 (in the city).

- The cost of living isn't higher than 20% of Tucson, Arizona's (if a place exists that actually would have a lower cost of living than Tucson, Arizona that matches my criteria, that would be awesome).

- Isn't racist.

- Isn't TOO conservative or religious (I don't consider religion to be a bad thing, but I wouldn't want to be ostracized for something like cohabitation or premarital sex).

- Has a good young single scene.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:01 PM

942 posts, read 1,391,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
FDS -

Since natural disasters seem to be driving your list of places not to live, why don't you research places based on that criteria alone & come up with your own list, rather than discount advice given, as it seems you've awful dissatisfaction with it? It seems you've a large list of where not to go, but I've lived all over the country & natural disasters are aplenty yet only differ in each region. Pick your poison, more or less.

Goodness, they had a tornado touch down in Brooklyn this week. We've had tornadoes just outside of Boston this year, north & south of the city. Floods have ruined several NH towns several times this year. My friend in London mentioned several tornadoes there a few months ago & 5 in York/Yorkshire this month, which is almost unheard of. Hurricanes, floods & tornadoes in the southeast; nor'easters, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods & blizzards in the northeast; tornadoes in the midwest; wildfires & earthquakes on the westcoast. You can't escape nor live your life around impending doom. You can, but it makes for a fear-based life, yeah?

Perhaps addressing your fear of such disasters is in your best interest. Your house can burn down in any state. A drunk driver can crash through your living room in any state. A bridge can collapse in any state, like recently MN. A tunnel can collapse on you like here in Boston recently. When your time comes, my dear, you will leave this earthplane no matter where you live or what you do. Live where you feel you'll have quality of life. If you can't have that at this time without pulling out a disaster chart, then do your own natural disaster research & find the perfect place where there's no flooding or any natural disasters. It doesn't exist, so find places with the least amount of disasters that you can handle.

Sounds like you have a lot of soul searching to do. It's possible, but be reasonable with what you're searching for. Utopia doesn't exist. Being happy where you are & making the best of it is as close as we get.

Good luck... VV
This is good advice, With a degree in Dental Hygiene you can go anywhere you want, anywhere. Use it as your ticket to do just that, don't spend all of your time on the disaster end of it. However if I had to choose disaster areas to avoid, I would probably delete from my places list the regions that are the most tornado prone. Those are a disaster that are yearly, and one should consider that when moving to the tornado alley area of the USA. Move to a place that has what you are interested in, activities and social aspects to it. At your age you don't want to move to some area that has little to do for someone so young. Actually Denver might be a good place for you, away from Tucson, but still in the western USA, a region of the country that is home to you. I would sit down with your family and really talk this over, With them moving so far away to another country and your 19, I wonder what they feel about all of this. Let us know how you are doing on this decision.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:42 PM

49 posts, read 146,807 times
After some lengthy discussions with my family I've decided that I'm going to eventually join them in Auckland, but I'm going to stay here in America for college. They seem to think that I can obtain dual citizenship and just stroll into NZ whenever I please, but I'm sure I'll have to look deeper into it, is it possible to keep citizenship for another country for 5-6 years without actually LIVING in the country?

Even if I can't obtain dual citizenship for the time being, after taking the Expression of Interest test on their immigration site, assuming I stick with my current master plan I'd have at least 125 points, which is more than enough (at least as of August, 2007) to submit a EoI. Of course, this is assuming that things don't change for me in the next 5-6 years. Sure, I have what I consider to be a great plan mapped out, but I'm still in college so who knows? Maybe I'll move closer to them whenever I graduate. Maybe I'll stay, spend my youth in America and settle down near my family in Auckland. Maybe I'll run away and join the circus. I can't say for sure what'll transpire between now and then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.