Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best U.S. region climate overall?
New England & Upstate New York area 15 8.06%
Tri-state & D.C. area (rest of the Northeast) 13 6.99%
Midwest 16 8.60%
Southeast 7 3.76%
Florida 8 4.30%
Southwest 15 8.06%
Coastal & Southern California 80 43.01%
Pacific Northwest 17 9.14%
Hawaii 14 7.53%
Alaska 1 0.54%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 04:34 PM

477 posts, read 802,825 times

Advertisements

I like...

New England, VT NH

Coastal California

and SW (only higher elevation locations above 4000 feet)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 04:49 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apple View Post
New England & Upstate New York area: Generally warm summers, with occasionally hot & humid weather. Cold to very cold & snowy winters.
Chilly to mild spring/fall. 4 distinct seasons with no "wet or dry" season.

Tri-state & D.C. area (Rest of Northeast): Very warm to hot & humid summers. Chilly to cold winters - with both rain and some snow, with occasionally snowstorms not lasting too long. Mild to somewhat warm spring/fall. 4 distinct seasons with no "wet or dry" season.

Southeast: Hot & Humid summers. Chilly to mild winters with rain more common than occasionally snow. Mild to warm spring/fall. Summers tends to be slightly wetter than winter. Not really 4 disctict seasons, especially towards the south.

Florida: Hot & Humid summers with short-lived T-storms very common on more than half of summer days. Mild to warm winters with much less rainfall and lower humidity; with occasionally few days with cold spells. Usually "wet" and "somewhat dry" season. Tropical weather in South Florida, while subtropical in central and north. Plenty of sunshine.

Midwest: Warm to occasionally hot & somewhat humid summers. Cold to very cold & snowy winters. Chilly to mild spring/fall. 4 distinct seasons.

Southwest: Hot to Very Hot & Mostly Dry summers. Chilly to mild winters with mostly rain as precipitation, except in higher elevation with snow common. Plenty of sunshine.

Coastal & S. California: Mediterreanean with mild to warm and occasionally hot & dry summers. Chilly to warm winters, with rainfall very common. Snow could fall in mountains during storms. Plenty of sunshine.

Pacific Northwest: Mild to warm & mostly dry summers. Chilly to mild & rainy winters with occasionally light snowfall. Chilly to mild spring/fall.

Alaska: Cool to mild, and occasionally warm summers. Chilly to very cold & snowy winters.

Hawaii: Tropical with warm to hot weather year-round with little temperature variation between summer and winter. Moderate rainfall year-round & plenty of sunshine.

****PS! Please notice that the description is not 100% correct and could be some slight different, but for most part it is well described****
There could be some thread previous about this topic, but is not well explained like I did with poll.
Funny how every summer as soon as it finally warms up and they get nice weather up North they start these threads where they bash the South East for being too hot and humid but during those long seasons that take up most of the year where the South East is often having near perfect weather and the North having miserable weather nobody starts a weather thread then. Funny.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:21 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,802 times
I haven't seen that at all, in the winter everyone's talking about how "horrible" it is up north, and in the summer how "horrible" it is in the south. That's human nature.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:30 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I generally like a variety of GOOD THINGS. Humid, sticky summers and freezing winters do not fall under that category.

The 4 season boosters are essentially arguing that they'd prefer sex with two supermodels + Roseanne/Rosie O'Donnell over 4 supermodels. Not buying.
You've never heard "too much of a good thing?" Why do you think guys constantly cheat on supermodel wives? To extend your absurd and off-target metaphor.

That's taking into account your assertion that hot weather or snow is considered BAD across the board. You're a typical K.I.A. who extends your personal preferences across all of humanity. I've known people who are only happy when it's 90-110 and humid. There are places on the planet for those people. Some people live for winter. It's a good thing they live up north, no? I like a mixture, and while it gets too hot for my liking at times during summer and colder than I like during parts of winter, I enjoy watching nature regenerate and being an active part of this process. It certainly isn't boring. It's my preference. Just like the woman who wants to live in 100 degree heat or the guy who wants to snowmobile year-round. There's a place for all of us, except maybe loudmouths who think wherever they are is the center of the universe.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:05 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Voted for Coastal & Southern California, although I suppose it must get a little boring after a while (which I like 4 seasons). Still I think most honest people will admit California has the wrap on this.

California Dreamin' California Dreamin' - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Every year in the late fall-early winter they play this old Mamas and the Papas song on the radio in New York. They may play at other times but I only notice it when it starts getting cold and "gray". LoL

All the leaves are brown and the sky is gray
I've been for a walk on a winter's day
I'd be safe and warm if I was in LA
California dreamin' on such a winter's day

Btw to the OP, another good choice might have been Upper South if you had it.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:55 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018 View Post
Given those choices, I'll take the Midwest. But you didn't include the Mountain West, which is between the Midwest and Southwest. That would be my #1 choice.
Agreed. Very strange that the actual best climate zone was not included in the poll. Dry air but plenty precipitation, four seasons, lots of sun and lots of snow. Denver wins, in my opinion. The others all have significant tradeoffs.

SoCal doesn't have four seasons.
Southwestern deserts are too hot in the summer, and too dry in the winter.
The Humid Subtropical southeast has horrid, oppressive humidity during the summer.
Southern Florida is tropical and lacks a real winter.
The Northeast is humid all the time and dark in the winter. Lots of bugs also.
The Midwest has Siberian winters.
The PNW is cloudy most of the time.

I think the best climates to be found are either at the base of the Rocky Mountains or above 3000 feet in the Southern Appalachians. Southern latitudes with higher altitudes - you get more northern temperatures but with southern amounts of sunlight, and the thinner air reduces the humidity.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:33 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
Hawaii, as it is tropical. It's 80F during the winter days, 85F during the summer days. Nights are 66-75F year-round. Humidity is pleasant and comfortable, thanks to trade winds preventing it from being unbearable. No cold snaps like South Florida, not many hot days either. Rainfall is good. And 77-82F SSTs all-year long. Wonderful. The only thing missing is thunderstorms like in Florida, but at least the rain is still a warm, tropical rain.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:31 PM

42 posts, read 112,207 times
Mid-Atlantic

Old 06-22-2013, 07:10 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,387,320 times
If there was an option for southern California only, I would vote for that. Don't like the upper coastal California weather. Thus I went for the sunny and dry american southwest!

Old 06-22-2013, 04:31 PM

42 posts, read 68,093 times
I can't get past the Pacific Northwest weather. I spent high school in Washington and probably felt the most comfortable there. I can see why most people wouldn't like it though as it rains so often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.