Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 01:39 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That's rural old school Black Southern speech. The younger new school Black speech throughout the country does emphasize the "sh" in street, strong, and straight. I honestly thought it was common.
Well, Shpade, I've honestly never heard anyone do that. Maybe it's regional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 08:55 PM

18 posts, read 23,758 times
Just chiming in to say that my recent ex (White young male from Lousiana) has this inflection. When I told him, he seemed puzzled/unaware.

I think its a sort of spotty language drift throughout the south.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:31 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Another African-American pronunciation that's creeping into general usage among all young people is using an "sh" sound when saying words that start with an "st" such as street ("sh-treet"), strong (sh-trong") and straight (sh-traight). I just started noticing it in the last 10-20 years - probably from the huge popularity of Hip-Hop and Rap culture spreading to the mainstream.
That's a very common trait among white people too, especially in areas with lots of people of Irish, German, Yiddish speaking descent. I'd wager most white people in the Philly, NJ, NY regions do this.

Edit: I'm listening to Bernie Sanders speak now (Brooklyn native) talking about the "shtruggle" gay people and their "shtraight" allies took on to get gay marriage.

Last edited by lammius; 03-25-2016 at 09:43 PM..

Old 03-25-2016, 09:35 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, Shpade, I've honestly never heard anyone do that. Maybe it's regional.
Sp is not really like St. Maybe it's the added "r" after st that brings in the confusion. Because now that I think about it, I pronounce strong, straddle, strength the same way as straight and street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.