Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:43 AM

45 posts, read 117,921 times

Advertisements

There are a few lists that have already come out with why these cities have started to turn around so well. Milwaukee, where I now reside, is bursting with potential. The east side is hip, fun, but still laid back and friendly. Commuting is the 2nd lowest in the country and streetcars were recently approved to help supplement the city bus/shuttle system which is outstanding in the Summer festival season. Jobs/employment ranks 8th and Wisconsin ingeneral moved up 17 spots in business climate. Two new buildings are planeed for downtown Milwaukee. And though some snobby Chicagoans will want to label Milwaukee a suburb of Chicago, three are far too many Milwaukee originals, things that make the city have its own tremendous city pride....summerfest, the other large ethnic fests, German architecture still in tact, distinct neighborhoods, ethic foods, incredible variety of food options in general. Plenty of scenery too for outdoor activities. The lakefront here is stunning...look for the bluffs! Milwaukee truly is a bigger city of ammenities, with the feel and function of a small town. Magical combination. Pittsburgh is also amazing in scenery and business creation. IMO these types of cities are better overall to reside and build a family. Overall a lot safer, and with Milwaukee, you literally have a global city 80 miles away to go visit. But there is always something fun to do here if you poke around. And in many ways, the people are more fun, hence all events are more fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 10:51 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,489,373 times
Both are underrated. I loved Milwaukee. Summerfest is great

Old 08-02-2011, 10:53 AM

8,940 posts, read 17,162,269 times
Milwaukee is one of my all time favorite cities.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:58 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,315,647 times
I agree. Both are tops. And why shouldn't they be? They've got good bones. These old "rust belt" cities were built to last, and now that they're seeing some key revitalization, they're showing how a little new effort can shine up old gold in a way that you can't duplicate with all the strip malls and tract housing in the world.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:13 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,835,148 times
I'm overdue to re-visit Milwaukee; maybe this winter I'll take in a Bucks game, along with a visit to Mader's for some good German food...

And, as I've mentioned before, the views of Lake Michigan from the shore are fantastic

Old 08-02-2011, 11:43 AM

16 posts, read 42,727 times
Moving there in a month, loved my visit! Just graduated college and got a job offer for the Milwaukee market. We are doing enormous growth in that city!

Old 08-02-2011, 12:45 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,032,881 times
Absolutely agree.

You can easily throw Cincinnati on the list too. People have no idea what that city has going for it.

And I know people might throw up a

because they just don't know when you consider the WHOLE metro area, metro Detroit is up there too. There may be a lack of nice areas to live in the city, but the city has a lot to see and do, and a lot of awesome vibrant suburbs to the northwest.

The smaller midwestern metro areas between 2 and 4 million people stretching from Pittsburgh to STL and the twin cities all scream underrated.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:07 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,938,775 times
Pittsburgh is an awesome city.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:07 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,449,485 times
Perhaps some cities go through a down-period and that lingers in their image even after their downtime is done. Also I don't really see much PR for Milwaukee. I'm not sure a popular, or even middle-rung, TV show has been set there since "Laverne & Shirley" and I think that was set in the past. So any changes are likely unknown to much of the country. (Although I guess it was a city where American Idol had auditions)

Old 08-02-2011, 08:46 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,947,025 times
I like both cities, they are definitely cool and very underrated. The whole Midwest/Rust Belt, aside from popular places like Chicago, Minneapolis, Madison, and Ann Arbor, seems to have unfavorable reputations among the general population. Milwaukee and Pittsburgh seem to be gaining more recognition though, and they aren't suffering the same fate as places like Cleveland, Detroit, and Buffalo which have been unfairly written off as dumps by the masses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.