U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:26 PM

166 posts, read 582,754 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever been raised in an area where they did not fit, especially within the larger local community?. Meaning that you aren't relgious but grew up in the Bible Belt (or vice versa), like country music but live someplace where it is not widely loved (i.e. Northeast), did not speak the same local accent as your fellow townspeople, you had totally different hobbies/interests than people around you, etc.

I've lived in Tennessee virtually all of my place, but never felt I fit in with a lot of people in my hometown. My slightly younger sister, however, almost fancies herself as a Southerner (something I would never consider myself to be).

Anyone with this type of upbringing? If so, did you do something to change it (i.e. move or try to blend in more as you got older)?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 01:32 PM

15,385 posts, read 22,908,483 times
I'm not religious at all, despite being raised in the unconventional Bible Belt of South Louisiana. Baptized and raised in Catholicism.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:46 PM

2,594 posts, read 5,554,360 times
We're all just products of our environment.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:02 PM

23,872 posts, read 36,924,161 times
I grew up in suburban Florida and always felt out of place with not liking the stereotypical white-bread/plastic characteristics that largely came along with it. I finally moved out of the state in my late twenties which in retrospect was far too long to wait. I lived in NC, DC and PA before having to move back to FL late last year due to family health issues. It has really highlighted the differences and made me realize I need to leave once it's a viable option again. Once you experience that "ah-ha moment" of finding somewhere else that fits who you are as a person, you'll be hard pressed to ever go back again. I'd recommend you start researching where that place is and plan your exit strategy. Life's too short for self-imposed misery. Good luck!

Old 08-03-2011, 02:16 PM

3,376 posts, read 5,564,122 times
It's not that I'm not fitting in with where I currently live, but the area I live in is no longer fitting to me.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:22 PM

12,823 posts, read 22,410,055 times
When I was raised in the Bay Area, it was still a place where the majority of people were middle class. That has really changed. Now, there are poor and rich and not many in the middle. I realize this has happened in many other areas to an extent, but here it has been extreme. So, from the standpoint of having been raised "middle class" I no longer fit in. I have however adapted but some days it feels pretty strange to look at my area and have it feel unfamiliar.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:25 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,765,399 times
After leaving NYC I "came out" as a country music fan. I also shifted from moderate republican to conservative. I'm proud to be from NYC, but I love the South more. I still miss NYC though.

My sister, is 100% New Yorker in everything... especially ATTITUDE! Haha

Old 08-03-2011, 03:50 PM

23,872 posts, read 36,924,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
When I was raised in the Bay Area, it was still a place where the majority of people were middle class. That has really changed. Now, there are poor and rich and not many in the middle. I realize this has happened in many other areas to an extent, but here it has been extreme. So, from the standpoint of having been raised "middle class" I no longer fit in. I have however adapted but some days it feels pretty strange to look at my area and have it feel unfamiliar.
Excellent post. I think that's why I really dislike Florida so much more this time around as the gulf between rich and poor is even more magnified. The predominate demographic now is one that worships anything Fox News says as gospel and enjoys primarily as recreational/cultural pursuits TV-watching, video gaming, strip mall shopping and chain restaurant "dining". I realize for many that sounds like Shangri-La but for me it's downright suffocating.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:08 PM

378 posts, read 660,649 times
I spent my early childhood in one place and my later childhood + teenage years in another. I had trouble adjusting to the second location.

Now I'm in a third place which is different again. I think it's a better fit than where I was last but still not quite as much like "home" as the first.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:19 PM

13,856 posts, read 24,873,258 times
I was born in Arkansas, but raised in the town I live now. I tend to play-up "Arkansas" online because I liked it more and because I don't like saying where I live online. I haven't lived in Arkansas since I was 5 though.

Still I'd say I probably wouldn't fit in there that much either. I'm Catholic, but my home county was just 5% Catholic and most of those were likely in Van Buren. Although I never lived there long enough to know if I'd fit or not.

The town I was raised in I didn't fit. It's traditionally a "beer and football" kind of town, I knew a parent who was concerned her High-School age daughter wasn't going to keggers, I'm interested in neither one. It's conservative Democrats, which could be okay, but not my kind of conservative Democrat. (I'm more conservative Independent who traditionally leaned Republican) Musically they're into hard-rock and country. Odd mix, but a common denominator for the two genres is "few black people" and I don't think that's entirely a coincidence. I like various kinds of music, but particularly some I like Jazz, Celtic, World, some 80s Rock or New Wave, Classic Rock, 50s-80s R&B, Folk, and Folk-Rock.

But on some level I don't think I'm a "fitting in" kind of guy. I'm under four-feet-tall, I use a wheelchair, I listen to jazz, I read science fiction, and there are things about both Margaret Thatcher and Dorothy Day I like. College is the closest I came to "fitting in" but even then I didn't fit in with that many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.