Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 01:31 AM

42 posts, read 85,882 times

Advertisements

I think this is an interesting topic. There does seem to be some bias from people wanting their region represented though. If I can add my 2 cents with much respect to the original poster's criteria of 20 major metro areas and 18-30 year old who party demographic, I present the following.

First, there are the cities everyone seems to agree on:

1. New York City. 2. Los Angeles. 3. Chicago. 4. Washington DC. 5. Miami 6. Seattle 7. Atlanta 8. Dallas 9. Denver 10. San Francisco. 11. Minneapolis.

That leaves 9 cities. I suggest:

12. Boston. Unlike Philadelphia which is midway between NYC and DC, I think Boston is far enough from NYC to be included. Plus it's the major city in a highly populated area (New England) and is well known for it's many colleges/universities. Plus it's known as a drinking town. Lots of pubs and taverns.

13. Columbus Ohio. Center of a heavily populated state. More likely to influence Cleveland and Cincinnati than picking one of the cities on the edge of the state. Home to Ohio State University, one of the largest universities in the country. One of the largest LGBT populations in the country. Attracts a large number of young professionals.

14. Raleigh NC. Charlotte may be bigger but when you consider the Raleigh-Durham metro area, things even out more. Major universities in the area. Research Triangle is a major magnet for young professionals.

15. Nashville TN. Major university and several smaller colleges. City is well known for it's live music scene. City attracts both young professionals plus young artists trying to break into the music industry.

16. Phoenix. Major universities plus marketing can attract nearby Tucson and Flagstaff. Heavy population area but isolated relatively speaking so it should be included.

17 and 18. Houston and Austin. I think Texas is large enough to support 3 cities in your campaign. Houston has such a large population and many colleges/universities. Austin is a major city as well. Attracts young professionals. Known for night life. And politically known to be more liberal than the rest of Texas.

19. Detroit. I reluctantly chose the city because of it's poor economic state but many major universities and colleges nearby that could be influenced by Detroit marketing.

20 is more a wild card but I will lean towards another Florida city like Tampa or Orlando. Due to Miami being so far south and central and northern Florida is heavily populated and many colleges/universities.

I think Portland is too small and too close to Seattle to be considered although I could possibly swap it in and drop Detroit. Las Vegas is a party town but its mainly tourists. No major schools in the area and not a major city for young people to relocate. A large number of those people who party there will be coming from metros you have already included like LA, SF and Phoenix.

So for me, I think the perfect list of 20 metros to market towards 18-30 year olds who like to party would be (going west to east):

1. Los Angeles 2. San Francisco 3. Seattle 4. Phoenix 5. Denver 6. Dallas 7. Houston 8. Austin 9. Minneapolis 10. Chicago 11. Detroit (or Portland Or) 12. Columbus 13. Nashville 14. Raleigh-Durham 15. Atlanta 16. Orlando 17. Miami 18. Washington DC 19. New York City 20. Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 09:24 AM

54 posts, read 113,765 times
^ Good detailed response, thanks.

What about Philly? You don't think that metro suits the market?

Old 08-07-2011, 10:54 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,800,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCapital View Post
^ Good detailed response, thanks.

What about Philly? You don't think that metro suits the market?
nope. that is over kill for that area.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:45 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,126,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roythe13th View Post
I think this is an interesting topic. There does seem to be some bias from people wanting their region represented though. If I can add my 2 cents with much respect to the original poster's criteria of 20 major metro areas and 18-30 year old who party demographic, I present the following.

First, there are the cities everyone seems to agree on:

1. New York City. 2. Los Angeles. 3. Chicago. 4. Washington DC. 5. Miami 6. Seattle 7. Atlanta 8. Dallas 9. Denver 10. San Francisco. 11. Minneapolis.

That leaves 9 cities. I suggest:

12. Boston. Unlike Philadelphia which is midway between NYC and DC, I think Boston is far enough from NYC to be included. Plus it's the major city in a highly populated area (New England) and is well known for it's many colleges/universities. Plus it's known as a drinking town. Lots of pubs and taverns.

13. Columbus Ohio. Center of a heavily populated state. More likely to influence Cleveland and Cincinnati than picking one of the cities on the edge of the state. Home to Ohio State University, one of the largest universities in the country. One of the largest LGBT populations in the country. Attracts a large number of young professionals.

14. Raleigh NC. Charlotte may be bigger but when you consider the Raleigh-Durham metro area, things even out more. Major universities in the area. Research Triangle is a major magnet for young professionals.

15. Nashville TN. Major university and several smaller colleges. City is well known for it's live music scene. City attracts both young professionals plus young artists trying to break into the music industry.

16. Phoenix. Major universities plus marketing can attract nearby Tucson and Flagstaff. Heavy population area but isolated relatively speaking so it should be included.

17 and 18. Houston and Austin. I think Texas is large enough to support 3 cities in your campaign. Houston has such a large population and many colleges/universities. Austin is a major city as well. Attracts young professionals. Known for night life. And politically known to be more liberal than the rest of Texas.

19. Detroit. I reluctantly chose the city because of it's poor economic state but many major universities and colleges nearby that could be influenced by Detroit marketing.

20 is more a wild card but I will lean towards another Florida city like Tampa or Orlando. Due to Miami being so far south and central and northern Florida is heavily populated and many colleges/universities.

I think Portland is too small and too close to Seattle to be considered although I could possibly swap it in and drop Detroit. Las Vegas is a party town but its mainly tourists. No major schools in the area and not a major city for young people to relocate. A large number of those people who party there will be coming from metros you have already included like LA, SF and Phoenix.

So for me, I think the perfect list of 20 metros to market towards 18-30 year olds who like to party would be (going west to east):

1. Los Angeles 2. San Francisco 3. Seattle 4. Phoenix 5. Denver 6. Dallas 7. Houston 8. Austin 9. Minneapolis 10. Chicago 11. Detroit (or Portland Or) 12. Columbus 13. Nashville 14. Raleigh-Durham 15. Atlanta 16. Orlando 17. Miami 18. Washington DC 19. New York City 20. Boston.
Columbus? Don't know much about this city to say it needs to be excluded, vice versa as well.
What about NOLA? People come from the FL panhandle, MS, AL, and TX to visit, huge crowds of young tourists, and slowly growing young professionals. I know the population doesn't match but its influence and tourism should make up.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:52 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,720,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
nope. that is over kill for that area.

Yep the 4th largest media market in the country is overkill not to mention one of the best drinking and cities for nightlife in the country...

I think the combined RDU/Orlando/Austin/Columbus/Nashville media markets are smaller than the single Philly market, makes sense to me...

Old 08-07-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yep the 4th largest media market in the country is overkill not to mention one of the best drinking and cities for nightlife in the country...

I think the combined RDU/Orlando/Austin/Columbus/Nashville media markets are smaller than the single Philly market, makes sense to me...
nope, overkill in relation to all the markets around it. Don't need to worry, NY and DC have you guys covered. They will share you.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
nope, overkill in relation to all the markets around it. Don't need to worry, NY and DC have you guys covered. They will share you.

Philly is a bigger market than is DC

Old 08-07-2011, 02:09 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,126,445 times
Quote:
Just saying, DC NYC and Boston should have that covered. Especially with Philly being so close to NYC. It seems like a better spread for regional marketing with the edges of the NE corridor and the center of the population being NYC.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Again, I am not talking about single markets, i am talking about distance from coverage. Having Boston, New York and Philly and leaving out DC would mean that Baltimore, DC, and the rest of Virginia would have to be covered by Philly.

It is easier to split Philly between NY and Dc than take all of DC and Baltimore into Philly.

Again it is overkill to have 4 in the NE. I know you are going to tell me that 40M people live up there, but half of that is the NY market.

NY, DC and Maybe Boston (Because of the States to the North) can handle the area. Adding one in Philly is just overkill. Not needed at all. It would be like having two markets in one CSA

Old 08-07-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Just saying, DC NYC and Boston should have that covered. Especially with Philly being so close to NYC. It seems like a better spread for regional marketing with the edges of the NE corridor and the center of the population being NYC.

Well on reach and as a marketer it makes no sense regardless of the spread, also regional concentration is typically preferred in marketing not spreading thin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.