Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 10:40 PM

212 posts, read 791,630 times

Advertisements

On 9/11 I was up getting my kids ready for school. I normaly didn't have the TV on (too distracting for the kids), but on this day I did. I turned it to the news, (not sure what channel) and saw the first report about the first plane that had hit the towers. I was surprised, and interested. Then the second plane flew into the building on LIVE TV. I WAS SHOCKED, and found it hard to believe. I was glued to the TV for the rest of the day, and would call my husband with updates. I wanted to know any information available. All that was on TV was news coverage. I remember feeling anxiety and was weepy. I was unsure of what the future of America held. They were closing government buildings and sending people home. There was alot of speculation of other targets. The images of the buildings colapsing was unbelievable and heartbreaking.
On a positive note, I remember the patriotism, and how flags were hung everywhere. I tied ribbon on my car. Signs were hung that said GOD BLESS AMERICA, THESE COLORS DON'T RUN and FALLEN, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN. I cried as I watched the American flag be hung on the pentagon.
The world changed for me on that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2006, 07:06 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,746 times
At the time I worked about two miles straight up the island from the Twin Towers. We watched the whole thing from in front of our building.
Still gives me chills.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:13 AM

480 posts, read 2,829,353 times
Madison Avenue and 23rd. It was a very long day.

Old 09-10-2006, 11:17 AM

371 posts, read 2,030,034 times
Default No one will forget their whereabouts on 9/11

I was driving to work and heard on the radio. I entered the office and people we're sitting stunned at their desks. My husband called me and was crying uncontrollably because he was suppose to fly that day. He traveled A LOT for work, but after that made a concerted effort to get a desk job and did. We're from New York and have a lot of family back there. We could only think of them for that day and all the lives changed forever.

As the week went on we just seemed to be in a state of shock as the rest of America was also. The empty, noiseless sky loomed over us and we never will be able to look at planes the same way again. We still travel by air to see our family, but we haven't been upset by delays through security and never will be. I want delays through security. I want to be sure everything is safe.

I would say, in my personal opinion, America woke up to the world we live in and nothing will every be the same.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:20 AM

338 posts, read 1,445,670 times
Unhappy Now what? Please tell me I'm wrong...

What can we do about the workers and those "left behind" that are suffering? God bless the souls of those that are gone because of that horrible day- but what about all the workers and volunteers that are now suffering? What about the families? I always ALWAYS feel horrible for the one's left behind--what about my young neighbor in Bahgdad? He's 19! He was just playing catch football in my back yard a few years back, he still blushes and giggles when he's nervous! I just don't foresee any good ending...Please tell me I'm wrong.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:31 AM

246 posts, read 329,274 times
I was riding the London Underground and heard about it coming out of Warren Street Station -- one of the places that was attacked four years later on 7/21.

Friggin' uncivilized fanatics.

Magpies

Old 09-11-2006, 09:49 AM

183 posts, read 1,263,572 times
I had come home a couple of days before 9/11 with my new born son. I was watching the news and called my sister-in-law to see if my brother-in-law was ok. He works in NY at a different building but a lot of his colleagues worked in the World Trade Center. He made it home ok. They were supposed to visit us in Florida to see the baby but could not due to what happened. Then I called my girlfriend who lives here in Florida I remembered that her husband had a meeting in the Trade Center and flew out the night before and he had a hotel room in the Trade Center also. When I called she had not received any phone calls from him. A couple of hours later she called me and said that she had received a phone call from him and that he was ok. He was on the 3rd floor when the alarms went off and they started to evacuate. He had walked to the Brooklyn Bridge and was not able to rent a car until the next day to head home. He told us of the horrible experience and the things that he witnessed (people jumping out of buildings and such) and it is something he will never forget.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:55 PM

571 posts, read 2,530,037 times
I was on my way to work and hear the intitial, sketchy reports on the radio. Got to work (I'm a school counselor) and turned the TV on in my room when the reality of what was happening really hit home. I was brand new to my job then so you can imagine how hard it was to try to comfort the kids who came to my office when I wasn't sure how to deal with it myself.

I lived in Colroado Springs at the time, which is a big military town. And of course the rumors got going as to how they were going to bomb Colorado Springs next becasue of military bases and NORAD. I'm not an alarmist by nature...but I think everyone felt pretty uncretain that day. Everything we knew and took for granted was being challenged.

They decided to keep school open but a lot of kids went home early with their parents. I remember stepping outside with a co-worker later that afternoon for a much-needed coffee break and we both commented on how eerily quiet the sky was. Our school wasn't far from the airport but there were no planes in the sky. An occassional military jet and that was all...and of course we couldn't help but wonder where THEY were going!

My cousin worked at the Pentagon at the time and I couldn't get through to him all day. I finally got his cell phone and had to leave him a message. What kind of message do you leave someone who might be dead? "Oh, hi, it's your cousin, I hope you're alive...please call me back if you are!" He couldn't get through to me until later that evening. Thank God he was OK, but I had no way of knowing. He asked me to pass the message along to other relatives since he wasn't sure how long the lines would be open.

My heart goes out to all of you today who weren't as lucky as me and my family were. God bless and take care.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:25 PM

10 posts, read 34,782 times
Default Peaceful Muslims...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I have to admit with all the subsequent terror incidents around the world and the apparent acceptance of violence by Muslims in general, I have come to view them as the enemy.
Yah, me too. I understand some Muslims are supposedly peaceful, but I just feel anger toward them, no matter who. At first after 9/11 I wasn't like this, but in 2002 I visited a city called Brisbane, Australia, and there were hundreds of Muslims. I saw at least three moms slap their little baby, like 3 year-old kids across the face for saying something they apparently didn't like, or crying about something random, etc. I just thought, none of these people are peaceful. They've been commiting terror attacks since 1960's, and they seem to abuse their kids! Does anyone know some peaceful Muslims, and disagrees with me, because I would love to hear your stories!

Well, I was asleep. My parents were in New York City for some board meeting, and had plane tickets for THAT night (the red eye from NYC to PHX, AZ). People started calling at 7ish saying, "How are your parents? Are they okay? Are they home?" To the first call I just yes, can you call back (obviously not knowing what was going on). Then I got a phone call from my mom crying, saying to turn on the TV. I saw the building where my second cousin worked, the North WTC building) on fire. It was very traumatizing, and I was concerned. I said, "How is he?" She said, "He's fine, but some of his friends are not." It was scary. It turned out ALL his friends, him, his boss, etc, were very lucky and and just fine. But that day scared me and made me closer to my family, especially to my cousin. Thank goodness everyone was okay, but it just made me realize how precious a life can be, so cherish it, and the people close to you! I just hope nothing like this ever happens, anywhere in the world again. Pray for no more terror attacks!

Last edited by MattAZ; 09-11-2006 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: Got off original topic...where were you on 9/11

Old 11-07-2013, 05:46 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I was at home in Queens, NYC getting ready to go to work and received a call from overseas to turn on the TV. This was after the first plane hit. I continued to watch as the second plane and to my horror saw both buildings collapse. Needless to say, I never went to work that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.