Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 06:36 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times

Advertisements

It was my first day of classes Freshman year of high school. The first announcement came at 2nd period and by 3rd Period we were watching footage online in History class. We were sent home after 3rd Period and had off the next day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 07:14 AM

838 posts, read 1,353,175 times
I was in my 10th grade earth science class. A teacher from another class came in and told our teacher to turn on the TV and we watched the news the entire day.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:58 AM

39 posts, read 118,273 times
I was in 4th Grade. I had no idea anything happened until school let out at 2:43, and I was puzzled by the few kids that had cellphones talking into them with panic in their voices. Some were crying. Students had been getting called out of school throughout the day. I live in Ramsey, NJ, which is close enough for many of their parents to commute to the city to work.

My mom broke the news, rather anti-climatically, by saying the the "Twin Towers weren't there anymore". And I just laughed it off, like where would they go? We stopped at a convenience store on the way back and I saw the footage of the plane hitting the tower, and thought to myself, that movie trailer looks awesome.

Travelling south on NJ Rt 17 in Ramsey, there is usually a beautiful view of the New York City Skyline. But not today. The entire thing was just smothered in this dark dust cloud, it looked extremely ominous. Once we got home, my grandmother was there, crying. That was when it hit me that this was something serious. One of my uncles was in one of the towers, being an executive in the Port Authority, and she was awaiting a call from him. My father was also in the Port Authority, and went to help the cleanup effort. Another uncle was a sergeant in the PAPD and was also sent to assist. We eventually received a call from my one uncle, he made it out, but I'll never forget that day.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:44 AM

13 posts, read 46,001 times
school

Old 11-07-2013, 10:54 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,058 times
I heard the news when I arrived at my 8:00am Sociology class at the University of Findlay. We discussed it for a few minutes and were then released. Classes were canceled for the rest of the day so my friends and I gathered together in a dorm room and watched the nonstop coverage all day. If I remember correctly we were watching MTV. I remember seeing a girl in the hallway crying because her father worked in one of the towers. I didn't know her and never heard whether her father made it out or not.

My sister was a student at Bluffton College just down I-75 and she was supposed to have a soccer game that evening. I told her I'd come to watch. I couldn't get a hold of her all day to see if her game was canceled or not so I just made the drive down. Of course their classes and games had been canceled as well. I remember one of her friends was so surprised to see me because she thought all the major highways had been shut down. I had no issues on the road but I remember passing gas stations that had long lines of cars.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:02 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
On a flight to Boston during all of it (well the first two plane hits) for a meeting in Waltham

Ended up driving back in a rental car to Philly and could see the plumes of smoke all the way on 287 in Jersey (also the weird part was it was about 7PM when I finally got back to the airport in Philly and upon entering the rental car return there were no cars and people standing waiting for my car, i got out they got in then to get my car from a desolate airport with police following me to my car)

Remember seeing the towers (yes am a city and building geek so was looking) in their glory out the window as we flew up the coast from Philly, thinking it had to be just few minutes before the first impact - sadly I now associate perfect early fall days with 911 - truly was perfect weather that day

I did not know anything was up until in my rental car leaving Logan that the toll taker told me and to put my radio on - life has really never been the same since, not all that different but that day was a changer

Old 11-07-2013, 02:10 PM

281 posts, read 472,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
On a flight to Boston during all of it (well the first two plane hits) for a meeting in Waltham

Ended up driving back in a rental car to Philly and could see the plumes of smoke all the way on 287 in Jersey (also the weird part was it was about 7PM when I finally got back to the airport in Philly and upon entering the rental car return there were no cars and people standing waiting for my car, i got out they got in then to get my car from a desolate airport with police following me to my car)

Remember seeing the towers (yes am a city and building geek so was looking) in their glory out the window as we flew up the coast from Philly, thinking it had to be just few minutes before the first impact - sadly I now associate perfect early fall days with 911 - truly was perfect weather that day

I did not know anything was up until in my rental car leaving Logan that the toll taker told me and to put my radio on - life has really never been the same since, not all that different but that day was a changer
In what way did it change your life?

Old 11-07-2013, 04:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
My neighbor across the hall (who religiously watched Fox and Friends) came over and told me to turn on my TV. I got it on just in time to see the second plane fly into the second tower, which occurred in a live camera shot being aired by MSNBC. The viewers saw it, but the commentators who were on live at the time did not.

By the way, the world did not stop turning. And the number of Americans killed by drunk Americans in cars and sober ones with guns during that same month of September 2001 was larger than the number killed by terrorists.

Since then, the count is :

Terrorists: 0
Guns and Drunk drivers: 250,000

Last edited by jtur88; 11-07-2013 at 04:36 PM..

Old 11-07-2013, 04:16 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,420,859 times
Automotive class, Junior year. The world didn't stop turning though. Otherwise I probably would've fell over.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:24 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,823,755 times
I remember getting ready for school in 6th grade and my parents were watching the news on it. I had assumed it was an accident and didn't think much of it. Then I remember getting on the bus and more rumors were flying around that it was no accident and that our country was being attacked. My bus driver had on the radio and I remember her shaking her head and hearing about one of the towers collapsing and the pentagon being hit. That is when it hit me that it was something serious. We ended up watching the news at school, but weren't sent home early or anything(lived all the way on the west coast in Washington). I actually don't remember anybody crying-maybe it was because we were so far away. People were more angry and confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.