Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 11:52 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,349 times

Advertisements

If I were starting from square one (not being a native here) I'd choose Seattle. To me it has just the right urban density (somewhat more along the lines of Oakland/Berkeley), its a bit cleaner, has slightly less of a homeless/street crazies element (still there of course, just not as bad as here), is just as environmentally conscious and is in just as beautiful (if not more) physical location. To me Seattle still feels up-and-coming while San Francisco feels more static or on a slight decline. I know that's a vague sentence, but subjectively speaking Seattle feels "younger" with a more dynamic future ahead of it while San Francisco is kind of an old Baby Boomer.

Just looked over that paragraph and its a mess. It does sum up how I feel though so I'll leave its clumsiness alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 01:53 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
If I were starting from square one (not being a native here) I'd choose Seattle. To me it has just the right urban density (somewhat more along the lines of Oakland/Berkeley), its a bit cleaner, has slightly less of a homeless/street crazies element (still there of course, just not as bad as here), is just as environmentally conscious and is in just as beautiful (if not more) physical location. To me Seattle still feels up-and-coming while San Francisco feels more static or on a slight decline. I know that's a vague sentence, but subjectively speaking Seattle feels "younger" with a more dynamic future ahead of it while San Francisco is kind of an old Baby Boomer.

Just looked over that paragraph and its a mess. It does sum up how I feel though so I'll leave its clumsiness alone.
My experience was a complete 180 from this.

I found Seattle to be drastically sleepier, quieter, and more sedate than SF, and there's nothing about San Francisco that's in decline - there was nearly three billion and a quarter in venture capital invested in the first half of 2011 while Seattle got a mere $212 million (see this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/calif...s-venture.html)

Old 08-10-2011, 12:33 PM

5 posts, read 6,876 times
San francisco

Old 08-10-2011, 12:51 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
I like Seattle a lot, its downtown is wonderful and has great amenities, its natural setting is sublime, Seattle is a classy city and I love how similar its summer weather is to the Bay Area. That said, San Francisco has an better downtown with even more amenities(IMHO), has an equally striking natural setting right on the ocean at that, and the Bay Area generally has better weather imo. SF feels worldlier, more cosmopolitan and I think SF has a social scene that is more to my liking.

All of that aside, Seattle is a wonderful city and metro area and I know I would be very happy there.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:03 PM

292 posts, read 752,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I like Seattle a lot, its downtown is wonderful and has great amenities, its natural setting is sublime, Seattle is a classy city and I love how similar its summer weather is to the Bay Area. That said, San Francisco has an better downtown with even more amenities(IMHO), has an equally striking natural setting right on the ocean at that, and the Bay Area generally has better weather imo. SF feels worldlier, more cosmopolitan and I think SF has a social scene that is more to my liking.

All of that aside, Seattle is a wonderful city and metro area and I know I would be very happy there.
This sounds about right.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:49 PM

54 posts, read 69,209 times
Seattle. Your dollar not only gets further, but its economic picture is brighter for the future than San Francisco.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:49 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
I remember I had the opportunity to move to San Francisco in the late 90s. I was excited! I looked at apts on Craigslist. When I went to check them out there were always 10-15 other people looking at them too. And many of the apts were tiny and somewhat shappy for $1500 a mnth. As for salaries mine was actually a little higher in Seattle so of course I chose Seattle. San Francisco is a great city but in Seattle I lived in a beautiful 1907 apt close to downtown. I even purchased my first home in Seattle which I would never be able to do in San Francisco. Plus Seattle is a great city too.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:08 PM

8 posts, read 15,305 times
Seattle is great city. Public transportation is better and cheaper than in SF. Seattle is not for somebody who doesn't like rain. It rains a lot.
A weather in SF a little bit better. Lots of fog. Weather depends on neighborhood.
I don't like a weather of both cities but I would choose SF over Seattle

Old 08-10-2011, 10:46 PM

291 posts, read 688,599 times
Do yourself a favor and move to San Francisco. I currently live in Seattle and I have lived in San Francisco. SF is the better choice. The main reason is because SF has way better weather. I regret leaving San Francisco and moving to Seattle. Seattle would be a much better city if it had San Francisco's weather. Plus, if there is any fog you can always drive to the East Bay and hangout in Walnut Creek if you want some warm sunshine if the fog is looming.

Last edited by FantasyFootballGuy; 08-10-2011 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: Had to finish it.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:10 AM

413 posts, read 789,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
My experience was a complete 180 from this.

there's nothing about San Francisco that's in decline - there was nearly three billion and a quarter in venture capital invested in the first half of 2011 while Seattle got a mere $212 million (see this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/calif...s-venture.html)
Portraying venture capital investment as an indicator of a city's fiscal well-being is silly. And it's hardly proof that SF is not in decline. I'm not saying it is in decline, but a factoid about VC funding is irrelevant.

How about looking at some actual economic indicators from the Brookings Institution's MetroMonitor program? It factors in changes in employment growth, unemployment rate, gross metropolitan product and housing prices.

Overall Performance - MetroMonitor - Brookings Institution

When you do that, Seattle's economy looks substantially better than San Francisco's. Factor in the lower tax burden and lower cost of living and from a dollar and cents sense standpoint, Seattle is a better choice than SF. SF is a great city, a world city, and more cosmopolitan than Seattle, but you pay for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.