Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 02:01 PM

163 posts, read 376,662 times

Advertisements

When I saw this thread, the first thing I thought was that there was nowhere in the Midwest I'd actively like to live, but some of the responses have jogged my memory. The Midwest does have some gems.

1- Columbus.
2- Twin Cities.
3- Ann Arbor.
4- Chicago.
5- Milwaukee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 02:04 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
1- Chicago
2- Twin Cities
3- Milwaukee

Old 08-08-2011, 02:52 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
1. Chicagoland
2. Metro Detroit (incl. Ann Arbor)
3. City of Cincinnati
4. Honorable mention: Cleveland area.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:54 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,285,962 times
1) Chicago -- capital of the Midwest
2) Cleveland -- most underrated city in the Midwest
3) Cincinnati -- cool neighborhoods, architecture, and culture
4) St. Louis -- cool neighborhoods, architecture, culture, and food
5) Columbus -- growing, huge college town feel, bars

Old 08-08-2011, 10:13 PM

765 posts, read 2,129,128 times
1) Cleveland
2) Twin Cities
3) Indianapolis
4) Iowa City
5) Northfield, MN

Old 08-08-2011, 11:48 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
1. Mankato, MN -- It's my adopted home. It's an exciting New England-style college town with a booming economy and tons of diversity and cultural activities. It's also in a beautiful setting in the Minnesota River Valley.

2. Iowa City -- Iowa City is the perfect Midwestern college town, and one of the best Big "Ten" cities. Iowa City's progressive atmosphere, cultural diversity and good economy make it a great place to live.

3. Kalamazoo -- It's home, so I'm biased. However, it is a forward-looking college town with a really unique downtown.

4. Dubuque -- Nice small city on the bluffs of the Mississippi River. Another New England-style college town with historic architecture and a really good economy. Basically a warmer version of Mankato.

5. Ann Arbor -- Can you tell I really like college towns?!?! Home of The University of Michigan and one of the best Big "Ten" towns. Features U of M sports and tons of cultural opportunities. However, A2's proximity to Detroit is a major downside for me.

Honorable mentions: Marshall, MN; Madison, WI; Holland, MI; Champaign, IL; Ames, IA; Grand Rapids, MI and Winona, MN.

Last edited by northstar22; 08-08-2011 at 11:56 PM.. Reason: Moved Iowa City up

Old 08-08-2011, 11:54 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,486 times
1. Cleveland
2. Columbus
3. Twin Cities
4. Chicago
5. Indianapolis

The Midwest has a lot of great cities!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:27 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,932 times
1. Chicago - One of the greatest cities in the world, imo.
Minneapolis - Extremely underrated; fast growing density which I like.
Ann Arbor - Amazing atmosphere
Milwaukee - Underrated; very nice and convenient location
Cleveland - Seen better days but is a classic urban city

Old 08-09-2011, 09:25 AM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
1. Chicagoland
2. Metro Detroit (incl. Ann Arbor)
3. City of Cincinnati
4. Honorable mention: Cleveland area.
I should give my reasons.

1. Chicagoland: Downtown Chicago is one of the best downtown areas in the country to visit. One of the most convenient and accessible for tourists and visitors. Many of the suburbs (Especially most of the west suburbs which have a very strong sense of community and a few of the city neighborhoods on the fringes of the city (IE: Beverly) are great places to grow up.

2. Metro Detroit. Huge metro area, and still so many great areas to live. Oakland County is not only among the wealthiest counties in the country but also has lots of diversity including huge Jewish population, one of the largest black middle class populations (especially in Southfield) in the country, middle easterners. The suburbs along Woodward (Royal Oak, Ferndale, Birmingham) are just as vibrant as any city neighborhoods with great shopping and entertainment.

The Wayne and Macomb county suburbs generally are not as interesting as Oakland but many are still good suburbs. Access to great educational opportunities in Ann Arbor area.

Downtown and Midtown Detroit is full of cultural instititions, entertainment and has seen a rebirth due to urban pioneers/starving artists. However apart from these areas, and some upscale neighborhoods on the far northwest side, much of the city is somewhat scary looking.

3. Cincinnati. A truly underrated gem. People have no idea. It really has one of the most vibrant and dense urban cores outside Chicago. Its huge globally important corporations like Procter and Gamble are still located downtown and haven't moved to suburbs unlike other midwest metros. Over The Rhine is the closest thing to neighborhoods of Manhattan in terms of a historic architectural sense. Although the neighborhood is still a pattern of revitalized/ghetto street by street is full of cultural institutions such as the countries first comprehensive creative and performing arts high schools that has given rise to celebrities. The large University of Cincinnati is only 2 miles from downtown and the housing stock within that radius is mostly east coast style rowhouses. To the east of downtown are some upscale neighborhoods with breathtaking views of the city such as Mt. Adams and east Walnut Hills. Despite the cities reputation for being conservative and racially segregated, there are very diverse and integrated neighborhoods and suburbs to the north along I-75 and between I-75 and I-71.

Cleveland: Probably the closest thing to a mini-Chicago. Cleveland has capitalized on its ethnic diversity by promoting its ethnic neighborhoods (Asian Village, Little Italy, Slavic Village) more than other midwestern cities, and it has light rail transportation infrastructure. Something that lacks in the midwest outside Chicago.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:35 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,723 times
I would want a large metro area and in the Great Lakes vicinity as opposed to the Plains or elsewhere.
Thus my top two would be;

Chicago
Detroit

After that;

Cleveland
Milwaukee

I know they are not large, but they are still good size and on the Great Lakes.

Rounding out the top five is tough. There are no large enough metros on the Great Lakes. I suppose I would go with;

Minneapolis/St. Paul

Honorable mention to;

Cincinnati, Columbus, and Indianapolis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.