U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 11:53 AM

345 posts, read 749,510 times

Advertisements

Ok, first off, World-Class: to me it means having global notoriety with unique features that separates it fom other cities.

That being said I thnk the US has around 5 cities that can be considered world-class. These are the cities I think most people outside of North America know of. My list:

New York: duh... largest city in America, tied with London in global city index, loads of Fortune 500's, Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Times Square. The most visited American city by foreigners.

Chicago: in my opinion, #2 in America. Large and urban. You can argue that Chicago has the best skyline in America, and even the world. 6th in GDP in the world. Huge transportation hub within America. Willis Tower, O'Hare, Millenium Park, Wrigley, and the Chicago Art Institute.

San Francisco: I think it's more known outside the US than Los Angeles, sorry LA lovers. It just has more history and more unique things to it. 7th largest international transportation hub in the US (ahead of Washington). I think most of Asia is very familiar with SF, given the history. And I'm sure well educated Europeans know of it to. (Most controversial of my list).

Lastly... Washington D.C.: it's our nation's capital. Most people know countries' capitals. The US is a very well-known country, therefore its capital is well-known. High GDP, great history, Smithsonian, governement...

Borderline Cities: LA and Atlanta. LA major international hub, entertainment. Atlanta hosted the Olympics, headquarters of Delta Airlines and Coke (two of the most well known companies in the world). Also has the busiest airport in the world.

Just my opinion. I think there should be probably 5 world class cities total. For instance I can name 5 well-known cities in China: Beijing, SHanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, and Hong Kong. If I can name 5 in China, people in China can probably list at least 5 American cities. Anyway, agree or disagree? Your list please.

Last edited by jaxontwinz; 08-10-2011 at 12:49 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 11:56 AM

27 posts, read 41,098 times
NYC
chi
La
Miami
Philly
Dc
Boston
Sf

Old 08-10-2011, 12:15 PM

403 posts, read 567,194 times
The only two "real" world class are New York and Los Angeles.
Chicago is behind, very important in the country but not in the entire world.
San Francisco is very well know but it's more because of its beauty, like Venice in Italy (and you wouldn't say Venice is World class, except for tourism). But the Silicon Valley is world class so if by SF you include the SV then SF is world class.
And Washington DC is world class only because the gov is there.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:17 PM

23,017 posts, read 34,270,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforced View Post
NYC
chi
La
Miami
Philly
Dc
Boston
Sf
Philly?

Old 08-10-2011, 01:11 PM

18,509 posts, read 29,650,897 times
How many World class threads do we need?

Old 08-10-2011, 01:14 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,482,448 times
NYC, LA, and Chicago

Old 08-10-2011, 02:18 PM

345 posts, read 749,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
How many World class threads do we need?
As many as we like to post

Just wanted to see the reaction of my opinion on this subject, and let others express their's. I know there's a lot, but oh well.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:20 PM

27 posts, read 41,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Philly?
yes ....

Old 08-10-2011, 02:20 PM

18,509 posts, read 29,650,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
As many as we like to post

Just wanted to see the reaction of my opinion on this subject, and let others express their's. I know there's a lot, but oh well.
well, you could see who agreed with your opinion in one of the existing threads such as this one:

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...rld-class.html

or this gem:

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ies-where.html

or this one which started ridiculously:
//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ss-cities.html

or this one:
//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...rld-class.html

Old 08-10-2011, 02:23 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,535,483 times
Umm, NYC and L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.