Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:02 PM

659 posts, read 895,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Pittsburgh also has one of the largest Italian populations in the country. And with the exception of NYC metro, has the largest concentration of Italians of any major U.S. city.

In addition, when it comes to row housing, I don't understand how some people won't accept that that style of housing is dominant on the East Coast. Now with the exception of San Francisco, there is no city in the U.S. that has a substantial row house presence. Period. So quit showing us Butte, Montana. At Pittsburgh's peak, one third of our population was concentrated in the row house neighborhoods. Hey a similarity to the East Coast! Yet, even beyond this, the actual layout of the city--the narrowness of the roads, row housing along alleyways, is so similar to the East Coast it is, in my mind, undeniable.
Now, obviously there are parts of the city that may not "feel" like the East Coast...so what! Boston doesn't feel like Philly to me. The truth is that Pittsburgh is both the East Coast and Appalachia. Or as hillside put it perfectly--East Coast-Appalachia.

Pittsburgh = 50% East Coast; 50% Appalachia; 100% Northeastern.

Downtown looks like the East:

South Oakland looks Eastern:

So does East Allegheny:

And Manchester:

And Central Northside:

Allegheny West:

Even Shadyside and Bloomfield:

What more do you want? Old Georgian architecture? Yeah we got that too?

Lawrenceville looks Eastern:

Uptown looks Eastern:

The South Side looks Eastern:

The Strip District looks like the East:

The remnant of the Hill District looks Eastern:

That's crazy. I've been to Pittsburgh a few times but I guess I missed some areas. I few of those pictures look just like Boston.

And I have to say honestly, Pittsburgh had a midwestern feel to me. More than Cleveland, which had the same feel as Buffalo and even Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 12:51 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,176,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowing Mindspin View Post
That's crazy. I've been to Pittsburgh a few times but I guess I missed some areas. I few of those pictures look just like Boston.
And I have to say honestly, Pittsburgh had a midwestern feel to me. More than Cleveland, which had the same feel as Buffalo and even Chicago.
Well, the heart is the most deceptive part of the body! Pittsburgh feels like East Coast-Appalachia to me. Now Pittsburgh certainly doesn't have neighborhoods that are nearly so spectacular as Boston, but I think people underestimate how much certain blue collar areas of both Pittsburgh and Boston look similar.
As for Cleveland, Buffalo and Chicago...those are Great Lakes cities (with Buffalo having a significant Northeastern influence), so it's no surprise to me that they'd feel similar.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:30 PM

5,543 posts, read 9,461,474 times
Default The Census' Map Settles It....

MissyMom already noted this map in the thread. It is by far the most accurate map based on geographical and cultural traits making up the given regional groupings by the Census. The only change (at least culturally) that is probably necessary is the exclusion of Maryland and Delaware (and DC) in the South. I think the Midwest as it is delineated by the Census is dead on. Here ya go...it's settled Image:Census Regions and Divisions.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:51 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,348,173 times
Quote:
If you work with someone who keeps getting your name wrong you might be irritated by it. It's not that you don't like the name they're calling you, it's that they've missed who you are.
People from Pittsburgh never considered themselves Midwestern...it is not even a thought that goes through our minds, so when we hear misinformed people on this site calling us Midwestern, it is a tad bit annoying.
Very well said!

Old 11-13-2008, 04:30 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,729,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
MissyMom already noted this map in the thread. It is by far the most accurate map based on geographical and cultural traits making up the given regional groupings by the Census. The only change (at least culturally) that is probably necessary is the exclusion of Maryland and Delaware (and DC) in the South. I think the Midwest as it is delineated by the Census is dead on. Here ya go...it's settled Image:Census Regions and Divisions.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
totally agree

Old 11-13-2008, 06:27 PM

463 posts, read 1,560,937 times
If you are from New England, Ohio is part of the Midwest. If you are from Minnesota, Ohio is part of the East. To me, East/Midwest isn't too much of a distinction. Even moreso than north/south, there isn't a true "dividing line" that passes between Northeast and Midwest. If anything, there is a sliding scale of grey that starts in the center of Pennsylvania and goes clear to the far side of Indiana where there is a blend of Northeast and Midwestern charictaristics (Western PA still being overwhelmingly Eastern and Indiana still being overwhelmingly Midwestern, but with Midwestern and Eastern influences, respectively). I've even tended to think western Pennsylvania and the eastern Midwest (more or less those parts of the Midwest on the Eastern Time Zone) are part of their own region distinct from either the East or Midwest.

In any rate, it's all the North to me. Both the Northeast and Midwest fought and bled on the same side of the Civil War and both areas are jointly responsible for the United States' industrial, commercial, and agrigultural might.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:19 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,541,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post
If you are from New England, Ohio is part of the Midwest. If you are from Minnesota, Ohio is part of the East. To me, East/Midwest isn't too much of a distinction. Even moreso than north/south, there isn't a true "dividing line" that passes between Northeast and Midwest. If anything, there is a sliding scale of grey that starts in the center of Pennsylvania and goes clear to the far side of Indiana where there is a blend of Northeast and Midwestern charictaristics (Western PA still being overwhelmingly Eastern and Indiana still being overwhelmingly Midwestern, but with Midwestern and Eastern influences, respectively). I've even tended to think western Pennsylvania and the eastern Midwest (more or less those parts of the Midwest on the Eastern Time Zone) are part of their own region distinct from either the East or Midwest.

In any rate, it's all the North to me. Both the Northeast and Midwest fought and bled on the same side of the Civil War and both areas are jointly responsible for the United States' industrial, commercial, and agrigultural might.
Couldn't agree more. Is it weird that I am still proud of the Minnesota 1st contribution at Gettysburg?

Old 04-08-2010, 07:03 AM

66 posts, read 125,714 times
Quote:
Well, the heart is the most deceptive part of the body! Pittsburgh feels like East Coast-Appalachia to me. Now Pittsburgh certainly doesn't have neighborhoods that are nearly so spectacular as Boston, but I think people underestimate how much certain blue collar areas of both Pittsburgh and Boston look similar.
As for Cleveland, Buffalo and Chicago...those are Great Lakes cities (with Buffalo having a significant Northeastern influence), so it's no surprise to me that they'd feel similar.

Pittsburgh is neither "East Cost" nor "Mid-west." Pittsburgh is the capital of northern Appalachia. It's Morgantown, WV and Wheeling, WV writ large.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:00 AM

2,812 posts, read 5,607,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, what Denver "is" is a subject of some debate. It's not in the mtns. In fact, central Denver is probably 20 miles from the foothills. One of its nicknames is "Queen City of the Plains". It is not midwestern in character, though there are a lot of midwesterners here.

Omaha, Neb is another one that can't quite be pinned down. Is it the midwest, or the great plains? It is very midwestern in character, but geographically, I'd say the great plains.
Omaha is absolutely Midwest, as is all of Nebraska. That is a fact, all you have to do is look at the place. Everything there is labeled Midwest- from business names- countless businesses are named "Midwest xx", to advertising- "biggest xx dealer in the Midwest". I lived in that area for many years, and without a doubt it is Midwest.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:04 PM

26,399 posts, read 46,333,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Omaha is absolutely Midwest, as is all of Nebraska. That is a fact, all you have to do is look at the place. Everything there is labeled Midwest- from business names- countless businesses are named "Midwest xx", to advertising- "biggest xx dealer in the Midwest". I lived in that area for many years, and without a doubt it is Midwest.
Western Nebraska doesn't share much in common at all with the Midwest core and Great Lakes. Western Nebraska is the High Plains or Frontier West and has a semi-arid climate. Center pivot irrigators are common in Nebraska. They are quite scarce in the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.