Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2008, 05:52 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
I'm from South Carolina and I always say "please" and "thank you". I usually say "I'm gonna get the sandwich, please."

You may not think it's a big deal but those kids who say "sir" and "ma'am" are probably going to get a job over someone who says "yeah".
I didn't say "yeah" was proper; I believe I said "yes" would be better, but "yes ma'am" is not needed in my opinion. I agree that answering with "yeah" on a job interview or any time is bad, but so is not being able to speak the English language properly. That is far worse than not saying "ma'am" and "sir".

No, sir. I ain't never worked in management before, but I worked in one of them stores." How would that sound in an interview?

Also, I didn't say that everyone doesn't say "please" and "thank you" either. I did say it was a rarity; maybe that was too strong a word. It isn't said like it should be anymore though.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:52 PM

23 posts, read 116,760 times
I just have to clarify. In my experience, and I am a native Southerner, there are two distinct and opposite uses for the phrase 'bless ____ heart'. If you are having a conversation where you are discussing someone who is not present, then 'bless his heart' can be loosely translated as: He made a pretty stupid decision. What a fool. However, if someone says it to YOU-- and I'm assuming you are reasonably accurate at reading tone and body language-- then they are more than likely really trying to offer some support. it loosely translates to: I feel sorry for you. Not necessarily what I like to hear, but not vicious either.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1size2smll View Post
I just have to clarify. In my experience, and I am a native Southerner, there are two distinct and opposite uses for the phrase 'bless ____ heart'. If you are having a conversation where you are discussing someone who is not present, then 'bless his heart' can be loosely translated as: He made a pretty stupid decision. What a fool. However, if someone says it to YOU-- and I'm assuming you are reasonably accurate at reading tone and body language-- then they are more than likely really trying to offer some support. it loosely translates to: I feel sorry for you. Not necessarily what I like to hear, but not vicious either.
Actually, when it is being said to me, I take it the way you do.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:52 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1size2smll View Post
This is exactly right.
More often that not, I use it as an expression of sympathy and/or commiseration.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:23 PM

I just got this email from a Texan ex co-worker of mine so for what it's worth regarding "bless your heart"........

A very gentle Texas lady was driving across a high bridge in Texas one day. As she neared the top of the bridge, she noticed a young man fixin' (getting ready) to jump. She stopped her car, rolled down the window and said,

"Please don't jump; think of your dear mother and father."

He replied, "Mom and Dad are both dead; I'm going to jump."

She said, "Well, think of your wife and children."

He replied, "I'm not married and I don't have any kids."

She said, "Well, remember the Alamo ."

He replied, ''What's the Alamo?''

She replied, ''Well bless your heart, just go ahead and jump, you dumb (I removed this word) Yankee''.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:14 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I just got this email from a Texan ex co-worker of mine so for what it's worth regarding "bless your heart"........

A very gentle Texas lady was driving across a high bridge in Texas one day. As she neared the top of the bridge, she noticed a young man fixin' (getting ready) to jump. She stopped her car, rolled down the window and said,

"Please don't jump; think of your dear mother and father."

He replied, "Mom and Dad are both dead; I'm going to jump."

She said, "Well, think of your wife and children."

He replied, "I'm not married and I don't have any kids."

She said, "Well, remember the Alamo ."

He replied, ''What's the Alamo?''

She replied, ''Well bless your heart, just go ahead and jump, you dumb (I removed this word) Yankee''.
How funny!

Old 08-21-2008, 12:12 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I don't recall ever getting a negative reaction to that. The other day I did have a teenager address me as "dude". I about blew a gasket.
You wouldn't happen to be a security cop from Baltimore? I'm just curious, that's all.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:53 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I didn't say "yeah" was proper; I believe I said "yes" would be better, but "yes ma'am" is not needed in my opinion. I agree that answering with "yeah" on a job interview or any time is bad, but so is not being able to speak the English language properly. That is far worse than not saying "ma'am" and "sir".

No, sir. I ain't never worked in management before, but I worked in one of them stores." How would that sound in an interview?

Also, I didn't say that everyone doesn't say "please" and "thank you" either. I did say it was a rarity; maybe that was too strong a word. It isn't said like it should be anymore though.
On a personal level, I disagree. There are rude people who speak English properly and there are also nice, polite people who butcher the English language.

I'm not sure why teachers making your children say "yes ma'am" would make you angry. Would you be angry if she made them say "thank you"? No, because in America and the world in general it is the polite thing to say in our culture. It's the same with "sir/ma'am". You were in The South and that is part of what the community expects.

Earlier you mentioned parents reprimanding their children and then saying "what do we say?". I'm not sure how this is worse than a parent yelling at their crying kid and the child not saying "yes sir/ma'am".

I don't know why you would be offended by being called "ma'am". It's just being polite.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,781 times
Its the same everywhere, they are still screwing you but you dont think so much about it because they are courteous.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:31 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolutionday View Post
Its the same everywhere, they are still screwing you but you dont think so much about it because they are courteous.
Well, wasn't that profound?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.