Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:36 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times

Advertisements

What is the best and worst suburb you've ever lived in or seen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 10:53 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Subburbs like cities can have drastically diffent areas right next to one another. For example Camden NJ ir right next to Haddonfield NJ which in most ways couldnt be more different.

Bad areas many times have many issues that cause the environment today. to me i hate these worst threads as they somehow seem to sensationalize and make it seem like a good thing; or just give cause to pile on certain areas.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:45 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
What is the best and worst suburb you've ever lived in or seen?
Best suburb: Tie between Chesapeake, VA (Norfolk/VA Beach) and Columbia, MD (DC/Baltimore.)

Worst: Temple Hills, MD (Washington, DC)

Ugliest: West Point, KY (Ft. Knox/Louisville, KY)

Old 08-18-2011, 01:23 PM

291 posts, read 688,599 times
The best suburb by far that I have ever seen is Walnut Creek, California. It's a suburb located east of San Francisco.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:28 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post

Ugliest: West Point, KY (Ft. Knox/Louisville, KY)
Hard to argue with that, West Point KY is the scariest hillbilly town I've ever seen. Kosmosdale, which was a Census Designated Place before the Louisville/ Jefferson Co merger, is not much better, although Valley Station is nice.

In addition I would vote Elmwood Place Ohio (Cincinnati) as worst. Very low income, tons of sex offenders, tons of abandoned houses. Its an independent town but is just as nasty as the neighboring places in the City of Cincinnati.

As for best... I haven't traveled as much as most of you so these are in cities I have lived in or visited a lot.
St Matthews (Louisville KY) - Safe, tons of shopping, mix of suburban & urban
Versailles (Lexington KY)
- All American town of 8,000 10 miles from downtown Lex, surrounded by horse farms, extremely low poverty rate (very middle class, not just home to the super wealthy)
Mariemont (Cincinnati OH) - pre WW2 planned community, great Tudor architecture in town center, great residential architecture throughout.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:34 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
Best suburbs I've lived in are my hometown of Simsbury, CT followed by West Hartford. Best I've seen or would at least consider living in would be Wilton and and Ridgefield, CT (distant NYC suburbs).

Worst I've seen would be Gary, IN and East St. Louis. I've never really lived in a bad suburb but have lived in some very bad inner city neighborhoods.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:43 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Live in Shaker Heights, OH right now (suburb of Cleveland), and it's quite an amazing place in many ways! City Planning-wise, it's a planner's dream (literally). Planned to be an oasis for Cleveland: it has beautiful Art Decco single family homes criss-crossed by major thoroughfares, which are often lined with apartments and mid-rises. Town squares dot the area as well and it's pretty diverse (non-white, anyways). The school system is pretty strong also.

Ahhhhhh....the worst may be one of those "exurbs" in some Southern or Midwestern cities, with rambler houses acres apart, with no sidewalks, terrible landscaping and maintenance, and trash strewn everywhere. I've seen this, but I can't remember where, specifically.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:39 PM

635 posts, read 1,509,184 times
Worst suburb: Bremerton Washington, not sketchy or ghetto but boring and in the pacnorwest (grey, depressing, rainy, and cold).
Best suburb: McDonough Georgia awesome little city that is just far enough and close enough from Atlanta that you can enjoy atlanta life when you want and live a suburban life when wanted growing very quick and has everything you need in my opinion.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:53 AM

4 posts, read 4,511 times
U guys obviously aint been to robbins phoenix or ford heights il. Bad as it gets

Old 07-23-2012, 05:40 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Best suburb: Arlington, Virginia.... Well planned commercial districts with every business/store imaginable plus great restaurants. Excellent public transit options including subway access. Relatively safe, clean and has some beautiful established neighborhoods in walking distance of mass transit and commerce.

Worst suburb: Orlando, Florida.... I know, technically it's a city but is actually a medium sized suburb...sprawl, no zoning, nothing "downtown" worthy of making a special trip, lack of adequate infrastructure, ****-poor transit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.