U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 07:12 PM

292 posts, read 662,187 times

Advertisements

What is the worst or most untrue stereotype about the city, town, or state that you live in?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 07:33 PM

8,236 posts, read 22,056,857 times
Milwaukee: Fat and a bunch of hicks.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:35 PM

Milwaukee is one of the most under-rated cities in the country!

Old 08-18-2011, 07:48 PM

5,530 posts, read 11,360,513 times
Minneapolis: lilly-white/always cold

It's definitely no LA/Chicago/NYC, but it's also far from white only, and getting relatively diverse compared to its historical roots. And in terms of weather, I feel that winter gets pretty overblown at times, and there are a large number of people who actually think it's cold all/most of the year (it's almost "hot" in July!).

Old 08-18-2011, 07:48 PM

18,509 posts, read 31,574,548 times
That it is covered in Oil refineries.

The refineries are clustered to the east side of the Metropolitan area.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:50 PM

8,236 posts, read 22,056,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
Milwaukee is one of the most under-rated cities in the country!
Thanks FFG, I would like to piggy back that by saying Seattle seems to get forgotten about a lot of the times since it's way up there, kind like the twin cities. You don't get a lot of passer by's. I never thought of anything when I thought about Seattle, then streetview came along and now it's definitely one of my fav's.

People still think of Milwaukee as fat despite all the non-fat rankings out there. People still think Milwaukee is dirty despite never have been here. People still think Laverne and Shirley/Happy Days was an accurate portrayal of the city, as if everyone here has a Brooklyn Accent.

Last edited by Milwaukee City; 08-18-2011 at 08:09 PM..

Old 08-18-2011, 07:56 PM

I was in Minneapolis in the middle of October once and the weather was warm and beautiful. Also, is Minneapolis more white than Seattle or less white? I think that both cities are a good comparison for racial diversity.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Thanks FFG, I would like to piggy back that by saying Seattle get forgotten about a lot of the times since it's way up there, kind like the twin cities. You don't get a lot of passer by's. I never thought of anything when I thought about Seattle, then streetview came along and now it's definitely one of my fav's.

People still think of Milwaukee as fat despite all the non-fat rankings out there. People still think Milwaukee is dirty despite never have been here. People still think Laverne and Shirley/Happy Days was an accurate portrayal of the city, as if everyone here has a Brooklyn Accent.
Milwaukee is no less "out there" than Minneapolis. In fact, it's sort of out of the way if you are criss-crossing the country (going from MPLS to CHI we go through Rockford on I-90 because it's quicker most of the time). Minneapolis isn't a major East-West thoroughfare (not minor either) but it IS a relatively major North-South thoroughfare, or any freight coming from Chicago or East to Western Canada (or vice versa).

Sorry for the mini rant, but I just felt it was hypocritical to say that considering Milwaukee exhibits more of what you describe than Minneapolis (they are also very close to eachother, and both pretty far "up there").

Old 08-18-2011, 08:08 PM

870 posts, read 1,507,785 times
Utah: Boring, white, Mormon. There's actually a lot to do here, such as outside recreation. A lot of tourists come here because of that. It is fairly white, but I've noticed it has become more diverse in recent years. The cities have more minorities than might be expected. There is less racism in Utah than in other places I've been to. People here don't care about it that much. I've heard it's only about 60% Mormon now, which is still a lot, but it isn't completely Mormon dominated.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
I was in Minneapolis in the middle of October once and the weather was warm and beautiful. Also, is Minneapolis more white than Seattle or less white? I think that both cities are a good comparison for racial diversity.
I think Seattle is more diverse, in both city AND metro, but the metros are both pretty close. Seattle has a much higher Hispanic and Asian population than Minneapolis, while Minneapolis is SLIGHTLY more African-American. Both cities are very Scandanavian and I know MPLS is relatively German, Polish and Irish as well.

Both cities are often underrated for their diversity (both racial and ethnic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.