Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 07:43 AM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Northern Florida is like Alabama and its overall Florida is the deep South. Florida usually as a state votes Red. Even many Latinos PR and Cubans vote GOP.
Overall Florida is solidly purple and is a true swing state; Obama picked it up in '08 and '12 though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 11:07 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,099,782 times
Quote:
Northern Florida is like Alabama and its overall Florida is the deep South. Florida usually as a state votes Red. Even many Latinos PR and Cubans vote GOP.
No they don't. Puerto Ricans are one of the most solidly democratic groups in America. And Cubans have been trending democrat as well for decades. Cubans never cared much more social conservatism in the first place.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:36 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,361,184 times
There's a distinction between rural south and rural north. Also between rural southwest and such.

Rural south (dixie) is a culture based among crops like cotton, tobacco, and livestock like chickens, pigs and horses. Very much farming and small towns. Religiously, heavily baptist or Catholic. Northern as in New England is more small farms, grow apples, pumpkins, dairy farms too. Small town culture but very different from the southeast. Religiously, it's the least religious. Mostly Anglican protestant or Catholic. Not so churchy. In the Middle Atlantic, it's a whole mix of southern, New England and Midwestern rural culture. There's also the whole Amish culture as well. The Rural Midwest is more of a mix of dairy farms, lots of cornfields, small towns with a huge influence from farm life, a mix of Catholics and many of the protestants are Lutheran. In the southwest, mostly Texas and Oklahoma as well as the plains Midwest, it's more ranching, and more of an independent rural feeling than further east. It's cattle country, too. Wheat but also some corn.

There's definitely a difference between the rural south and north. But there's a whole connections that rural folk have. I bet a rural Pennsylvanian will have way more in common with a rural Tennesseean than with someone from Philadelphia. North or south, rural people tend to appreciate the outdoors, things like hunting and fishing, tend to have lots of family values, be a bit old fashioned and general disdain for the federal government. The rural north is mostly more liberal/democratic, but it's a more moderate type of liberalism, not really anything like in San Francisco or Los Angeles. The deep south is more likely to be very far right wing though. West of the Missouri river, the rural Midwest is not really liberal at all. Also, rural people tend to have some really admirable characteristics, north or south of the Mason-Dixon line. They are the least pretentious people in this country. The least self absorbed.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:37 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,421,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
No they don't. Puerto Ricans are one of the most solidly democratic groups in America. And Cubans have been trending democrat as well for decades. Cubans never cared much more social conservatism in the first place.
Thats a false statement again people on here have no clue what they are talking about

Old 12-09-2015, 04:38 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,421,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Overall Florida is solidly purple and is a true swing state; Obama picked it up in '08 and '12 though.
Florida and Ohio are swing states I agree but they usually learn GOP but they are getting a bit more progressive of late

Old 12-09-2015, 05:04 PM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times
Quote:
Florida and Ohio are swing states I agree but they usually learn GOP but they are getting a bit more progressive of late
Florida voted for Bush in '92, Clinton in '96, Bush in 2000 (officially, which is disputed) and '04, and Obama in '08 and '12. Florida doesn't lean GOP; it's truly a swing state.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:37 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,823,685 times
Quote:
You couldn't be more clueless about your supposed home State if you tried.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I'll address your ignorance when I get out of work in a few hours.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:07 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,823,685 times
Quote:
I'll address your ignorance when I get out of work in a few hours.
Oh, this should be rich!

I'm afraid the ignorance here is emanating from the south, though.

I grew up in Florida, and still maintain very close ties with the place - including many Cuban and Puerto Rican friends. There is absolutely nothing you can tell me that I don't already know, but you can certainly try.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
For your's and UKWildCat's knowledge, read these proofs. It is funny to see you eat your words.

After decades of GOP support, Cubans shifting toward the Democratic Party | Pew Research Center

A Close Look at Latino Voting Patterns - Sociological Images

2012 Latino Election Eve Poll

You can see from these links that Democratic cuban-americans almost outnumber Republican Cuban-Americans. And it even gives you a break down over time so you can see the change.

Puerto Ricans are, like I said, one of the most solidly Democratic voting groups in the country. 83% of them voted for Obama in 2012 and I bet the percentage was even higher in 2008.

Social issues are far down the list on Hispanic concerns in politics. The economy, healthcare, and immigration are all dominating concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.