Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 03:21 PM

640 posts, read 1,987,054 times

Advertisements

My husband and I left (suburban) NY in 2003. We moved to AZ; now we’re in NC. We miss the NE so much! It has more to do with the people and state of mind than anything else. I lived on eastern Long Island (on a farm) all my life until my move. My husband has lived in NYC as well as White Plains, NY, New Hampshire, Florida and on Long Island (in a rural area).
We miss being able to 'state our minds' and not have people look at us as if we each have 3 heads! We miss meeting diverse types of people who think differently and actually have opinions about things. We didn't find that in AZ or here in the NC. The area of NC we live in is way too overtly religious for us. We aren't anti-religious at all; we just can't get used to how much religion is a part of people's lives here. It makes us outsiders. Plus the fact that we are northerners doesn't help either. No matter what anyone says on any board, I know for a fact that where I am from has cost me jobs here.
I long for the day when I can go to a privately owned bagel shop again! Or even a real mom & pop deli! Big box stores and franchises are driving me crazy. I miss window shopping in the eclectic stores in Port Jefferson (if anyone knows that town, you'll know what I mean).
We left NY because the real estate market was great and we were able to pay off a mountain of debt. But we're not rich. Money is most definitely an issue for us. We intend to rent for a while and I’d like to stick between 700-900 month for that.
Can anyone suggest a place (or places) kind of what we're looking for? My husband refuses to stay in the south or southwest because a) he’s a true New Yorker and b) it's been so difficult for him to find work for a fair wage (not a NY wage, but a fair wage for the areas we've lived in). We'd like to stay away from the west, if possible due to distance from our families (it does seem that cost of living in the western states can be a bit pricey, too). And we want a place where people actually interact with each other. Even in NY, although people can seem brusque, once I start talking, everyone has something to say about everything, and that's what I loved!
Re work: We have to go somewhere where the job market is great. I'm in bookkeeping; he can either drive locally (CDL driving) or personal training (he will obtain his certification in about 4 months). We're in our mid-40s, no children and we both have luckily been pegged as being in our mid-30s by everyone.
We have spent 3 months searching and searching and no one or two or three cities seem to stand out. I've read about Baltimore, but I thought crime was really bad there. Also the same with Philadelphia.
Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 04:14 PM

67 posts, read 303,591 times
Finally, someone else who feels how I feel. I just recently moved from Connecticut to Phoenix, and I am really going through major culture shock.
Don't get me wrong, it is beautiful out here but I am an east coast girl.
I miss my 5 minute drive to the beach, 45 min to Manhattan, and 3 hrs to Boston, . I miss cheap and fresh seafood, fall leaves and as you said the amazing shopping...

And everyone out here asks me if I am from "Jersey, NY, Mass," or any other state that is in New england because of my accent, but they always do it with a look of disapproval. I miss the accents back home.

For everything that we dont have in New england I get out here. So it really just comes down to what you prefer.

With that said, I think you are in the right place on this forum. I recieved so much helpful advice with my move to Phoenix, from everyone on those boards.
My advice to you is try some research on Massachusetts. Try Boston. You have the big city vibe and great job opportunities. Also you won't be too far if you want to escape it all.
Have you thought about it at all?
Let me know what you think.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:35 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
My advice is... if you miss home so much, find some means to go back. It might take a few years, which is understandable, but theres no sense in being miserable in some place you dont like. Heck, I cant afford Chicagoland, but I find any and all means possible to stay in the area, even if it means working 2 jobs, because it frickin rocks and my heart belongs here.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:53 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,562,445 times
/\ So true. If you still can't come to economic terms with New York, look in the northeast neighborhood. Philadelphia is quite popular as it is alot cheaper and a train ride from NYC. But honestly, NY is part of who you are, stick with it.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:28 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
/\ So true. If you still can't come to economic terms with New York, look in the northeast neighborhood. Philadelphia is quite popular as it is alot cheaper and a train ride from NYC. But honestly, NY is part of who you are, stick with it.
i agree - this is yet another post that reinforces my belief that "cheap housing" ain't all that and a bag o chips, lol.

Last edited by tahiti; 08-15-2007 at 05:59 PM..

Old 08-15-2007, 05:38 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,067 times
It's really hard to duplicate what you've found in the northeast in any place, well, but the northeast. Other cities may have 'northeast' elements, usually intown, but they're still not exactly the same. Have you looked into Pittsburgh? Baltimore really is a great city too, and pockets of crime exist everywhere so you shouldn't let it deter you. ARe you more committed to finding a new house with a big piece of land or do you want the NY lifestyle? If access is what you seek, you could go to the Poconos or a place like Lambertville, NJ, where small towns thrive but you can be in NY in two hours or less.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:52 PM

640 posts, read 1,987,054 times
Thanks for the your posts so far and everyone else please keep posting with thoughts/suggestions. Believe me, we are listening....
NezzaBlue, as far as Boston goes, we seriously considered it but we had to cross it off of our list because we can't live within the rent spread we'd like to (700-900 a month). Unless it's cheaper in the suburbs AND we can jobs in the suburbs (which isn't the case here in NC where we live).
Steve-o: our hats go off to you! Chicago is on the top of our list (as is Minneapolis, MN and Madison, WI) if we can't get back to the northeast. But we WANT to get back northeast, if at all possible. We can't live here in NC any longer; the fit just isn't right. Many, many transplants love it here, but those are the same people we can't "interact" with, if you know what I mean.
Minnehahapolitan: You mentioned Philly. Do you know about it personally?
Also, what we really would like is to live outside a city, that's what we're used to. We would visit NYC & Phoenix for events and that suited us fine. On Long Island, we could easily find jobs outside of NYC.
Pittsburgh made it as the #1 city on placesrated.com. Anybody know why?
A "self-sustainable" suburb where we could find good jobs would be our dream; our second choice would be to live outside of a city that we could easily commute to. We think (are we wrong?) that rents would be less expensive in the suburbs.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:04 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
Pittsburgh made it as the #1 city on placesrated.com. Anybody know why?

P'burgh is truly a cool place and COMPLETELY underrated IMHO. I went for the first time 2 yrs ago and was blown away. Really beautiful, totally cool people (this is from a Jersey native), lots of stuff to do. Totally, completely knocked my socks off (i guess it could be b/c i wasn't expecting much). I've been back 2xs since then.

I've gone with friends who had never been there and they agree 100%. My brother went not too long after me and felt the same way.

Now living there is different of course. I'm really not sure of the economy, but your fields of work are transferable and I would think you'd have no problem finding jobs. COL is CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP.

Go for a visit, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:46 AM

572 posts, read 1,995,552 times
Saint Louis
Large enough to offer most anything.
Good outdoor activities. (no beach though)
Arts, music, theater, sports, festivals.
Very navigable.
Inexpensive housing in great nieghborhoods.
History.
Within an easy drive (4-5 hrs) of Chicago, KC, Memphis, Cincinnati
And slightly farther (7-8 hrs). Cleveland, Atlanta, Detroit, Dallas
Affordable.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:30 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
There are so many nice suburbs around Philly, and you would feel relatively at home there. You should consider it. I think some of the areas south of Philly are particularly beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.