U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 05:48 PM

9 posts, read 27,747 times

Advertisements

The Social Exclusion Index is an idea I've had inspired by the Human Development Index, but with three different variables instead representing some manifestations of social exclusion in society.

a) Obesity rate %.
b) Suicide rate per 100,000 per annum.
c) Intended to include a variable of intolerance of homosexuality by state but couldn't find this. As this correlates with conservatism I included instead the percentage by state conservative, divided by 3, from Gallup poll.

As in the international list on the World forum, the above variables were all meant to fit into a scale from 0 to 33.3, except that the states with highest obesity slightly exceed that, and as in the HDI the Social Exclusion Index is the geometric mean of the three.

What's below is just a rough start of an idea, maybe people think there are other variables that should be included instead of or in addition to the above?

Mississippi 18.9
Wyoming 18.6
Alaska 18.5
West Virginia 18.3
New Mexico 18.2
Oklahoma 18.1
Kentucky 18.0
Montana 17.7
Arkansas 17.7
North Dakota 17.7
Tennessee 17.6
Alabama 17.6
Louisiana 17.5
Nevada 17.4
South Dakota 17.1
Missouri 17.1
Idaho 17.1
Kansas 16.8
Arizona 16.6
South Carolina 16.6
Utah 16.5
Wisconsin 16.4
Indiana 16.3
North Carolina 16.0
Florida 15.9
Maine 15.6
Texas 15.4
Iowa 15.4
Ohio 15.4
Oregon 15.3
Michigan 15.1
Georgia 15.1
Pennsylvania 15.1
Washington 14.9
Nebraska 14.9
New Hampshire 14.9
Colorado 14.8
Virginia 14.6
Minnesota 14.3
Vermont 14.2
Delaware 14.1
Illinois 13.3
California 13.2
Maryland 13.0
Rhode Island 12.4
Hawaii 12.3
New Jersey 11.7
New York 11.5
Massachusetts 11.3
Connecticut 11.3
District of Columbia 8.5

Striking right away are the correlations between high SEI and low population density and vice versa, and (before anyone says it) high SEI = red states and low SEI = blue states.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-24-2011, 06:24 PM

13,840 posts, read 25,115,811 times
Well "blue states" will tend to do better because you're including conservatism as a negative to get the index. I understand a certain logic to that, but still I might do the third as "hate-crimes per-capita."

Although if you want an index on views of homosexuality by state I think I saw something on that. Or at least on "support for same-sex marriage by state."

Support for Same-Sex Marriage, State by State - Graphic - NYTimes.com

I might not get "obesity" as a sign of exclusion either as many fat people are really quite social or got fat through social eating.

I guess there are already are attempts at social exclusion indices. It sounds like they involve poverty and well-being more.

Measuring social exclusion (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:j6MCnEFwnR4J:www.unipv.it/deontica/sen/papers/Poggi.pdf+%22social+exclusion+index%22&hl=en&gl=us - broken link)

Old 08-25-2011, 06:57 AM

15,988 posts, read 33,297,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeno View Post
The Social Exclusion Index is an idea I've had inspired by the Human Development Index, but with three different variables instead representing some manifestations of social exclusion in society.

a) Obesity rate %.
b) Suicide rate per 100,000 per annum.
c) Intended to include a variable of intolerance of homosexuality by state but couldn't find this. As this correlates with conservatism I included instead the percentage by state conservative, divided by 3, from Gallup poll.

As in the international list on the World forum, the above variables were all meant to fit into a scale from 0 to 33.3, except that the states with highest obesity slightly exceed that, and as in the HDI the Social Exclusion Index is the geometric mean of the three.

What's below is just a rough start of an idea, maybe people think there are other variables that should be included instead of or in addition to the above?

Mississippi 18.9
Wyoming 18.6
Alaska 18.5
West Virginia 18.3
New Mexico 18.2
Oklahoma 18.1
Kentucky 18.0
Montana 17.7
Arkansas 17.7
North Dakota 17.7
Tennessee 17.6
Alabama 17.6
Louisiana 17.5
Nevada 17.4
South Dakota 17.1
Missouri 17.1
Idaho 17.1
Kansas 16.8
Arizona 16.6
South Carolina 16.6
Utah 16.5
Wisconsin 16.4
Indiana 16.3
North Carolina 16.0
Florida 15.9
Maine 15.6
Texas 15.4
Iowa 15.4
Ohio 15.4
Oregon 15.3
Michigan 15.1
Georgia 15.1
Pennsylvania 15.1
Washington 14.9
Nebraska 14.9
New Hampshire 14.9
Colorado 14.8
Virginia 14.6
Minnesota 14.3
Vermont 14.2
Delaware 14.1
Illinois 13.3
California 13.2
Maryland 13.0
Rhode Island 12.4
Hawaii 12.3
New Jersey 11.7
New York 11.5
Massachusetts 11.3
Connecticut 11.3
District of Columbia 8.5

Striking right away are the correlations between high SEI and low population density and vice versa, and (before anyone says it) high SEI = red states and low SEI = blue states.
I agree with Thomas. Using conservative as a negative or something to downplay the homosexual population isn't correct. Conservatives can be just as open as liberals when it comes to homosexuality and gay marriage.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:01 AM

1,299 posts, read 3,337,321 times
The fattest people I've seen are people who go to church picnics every Sunday. Not sure obesity indicates social exclusion when so many people gain weight because they eat what their friends eat. In fact, I would be willing to guess that high obesity rates correlate better with "social inclusion" in the sense that these people are doing a lot of in-group socializing that involves consuming high-calorie foods. (Church going, restaurant hopping, barbecuing, etc)

My cousins were pre-teens when they moved from rural NY down to Mississippi and their whole lifestyle changed, they were living in a very Deep South area where everyone was expected to go to church functions and BBQ's, and when I saw them again 2 years later, they'd blown up like balloons.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:08 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,131,896 times
and yet the highest rates of hate crimes in the entire country are in BLUE states. nice try though.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 08-25-2011 at 07:19 AM..

Old 08-25-2011, 08:49 AM

11,289 posts, read 24,619,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
and yet the highest rates of hate crimes in the entire country are in BLUE states. nice try though.
Well it's hard to get a solid picture because a lot of agencies don't post their stats, they aren't classified as hate crimes or not reported. I mean in 2009 Mississippi reported TWO hate crimes in the state, Alabama 11, Georgia had 9 ....out of around 7,500 for the country. Yeah right.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
The fattest people I've seen are people who go to church picnics every Sunday. Not sure obesity indicates social exclusion when so many people gain weight because they eat what their friends eat. In fact, I would be willing to guess that high obesity rates correlate better with "social inclusion" in the sense that these people are doing a lot of in-group socializing that involves consuming high-calorie foods. (Church going, restaurant hopping, barbecuing, etc)

My cousins were pre-teens when they moved from rural NY down to Mississippi and their whole lifestyle changed, they were living in a very Deep South area where everyone was expected to go to church functions and BBQ's, and when I saw them again 2 years later, they'd blown up like balloons.
I don't think the OP means excusion like anti-social, it's more being open to others ideas and undertanding different viewpoints. People at church are very social and happy, but in general the more religious people are the more close minded and focused they are that there is a right and a wrong way to do everything. People are suppose to generally follow one track in life, and if they aren't on that track then something is wrong with them.

They exclude people who aren't going to follow all the ideas put in their heads by their church. I wouldn't call it a cult flat out, but I think that's the direction the OP was leaning. Either you're conforming to our group or you're excluded.

I had a friend who got extremely involved in religion around the age of 24. I would have debates with her before we slowly stopped being friends and she would always laugh and act like I wasn't seeing anything clearly. She'd always say "but our church is completely accepting of EVERYONE!!! We don't exclude people. We want anyone and everyone to share our in our word". I tried to explain to her - yes, you are accepting of everyone......as long as they agree with you.

I agree though, I don't really see how obesity is really a true factor. I've known plenty of really fat people who are either very accepting of all or total nut jobs. I would replace obesity with people who are head over heels for religion.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:03 AM

3,120 posts, read 6,131,305 times
Quote:
Oh, to be a conservative on the City Data Forum...

If your Social Exclusion Index included "intolerance towards opposing political views," the liberal states would definitely be at the top of the list.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Oh, to be a conservative on the City Data Forum...

If your Social Exclusion Index included "intolerance towards opposing political views," the liberal states would definitely be at the top of the list.
Yeah but political views are something people choose and debate over. Homosexual is just how you're born and who you are.

You make a personal decision to be a liberal or conservative and then defend your viewpoints. You choose gay as much as you choose to be asian or left handed or a natural redhead or the middle child.

Do straight people sit around when they're young and think "well, I guess it's time to choose if I want to be sexually attracted to girls or boys". If gay people are suppose to just flip and be attracted to the opposite sex, than couldn't a straight person just as easily do that if they wanted? Can you just learn to be as attracted to a guy walking down the street as you are to the girl at work you lust after? It's an instinct.

It's weird how "gay" is such a gray area in this country. It's getting better, but you always hear so many different ideas and views on the topic. Like this whole pray the gay away thing. My family and I just laugh and roll our eyes.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:28 AM

6,665 posts, read 12,378,674 times
To be honest, this is worse than a Forbes list.

While there may be a slight correlation between some of the variables you included and "social exclusion" being a fat conservative does not necessarily equate to being a homophobe loner.

That's just another ignorant generalization in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.