Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 08:03 AM

410 posts, read 832,640 times

Advertisements

As I suspected. Average rent seems to be around $700, which is too much for me. Like I said, my budget (unless I get a better paying job somewhere) is around $400, which limits me to a room or an efficiency.

$700 would pretty much get me an apartment anywhere (except the more expensive, ritzier metros which I don't want to live in, anyways).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 08:09 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
I dunno, under $2500?

Old 08-27-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I dunno, under $2500?
Yeah, I guess in Cali that would hold true...

On the plus side, I am willing to live anywhere. Although I have my preferences (i.e. cold weather, greenery, etc).

Old 08-27-2011, 08:46 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
Something like that would be fantastic! How did they find it? Newspaper? Apt hunting site?
They found it in the local area newspaper.

Looking at the local rental ads online it would appear the averages rents in this area for apartments run between $425 and $600 depending on how large the place is. Can't think of a "dangerous" area at all. A few run down areas, but that is about it.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:21 AM

221 posts, read 1,194,007 times
You can also hunt for a job which provides housing. I get a free apartment with free utilities with my current job. I also spend practically nothing on gas, since I live at work.

Do you think you could work as a caretaker or handyperson or motel clerk or motel night auditor to try to get a free apartment, OP?

Also, having lived all over the country, I just want to state the obvious - large cities and university towns are always more expensive to live in than small cities and towns. So if the above doesn't work for you, pick some smaller cities (under 75,000) in cooler climates, and do some economic research on CD to find places with a stable economy, then hunt for jobs in those places. The actual CD site is very fun to use for research!

I'm certain that in these places you can find apartments or rooms for rent under $500.00. In fact, in the small city in Iowa where I live now the local paper has a duplex advertised for $475 and an "efficiency" above a downtown business is advertised for $350.00.

The world is your oyster if you will only make the effort!

Old 08-27-2011, 10:12 AM

635 posts, read 1,509,184 times
767 sq. ft. 1 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment in Mcdonough, GA just outside of Atlanta at the preston creek apartments for 628. However, you have already stated you loath heat, truthfully though it isn't bad in terms of heat it's normally around the 80's I don't know if that is too hot for you or not.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily0fthevalley View Post
You can also hunt for a job which provides housing. I get a free apartment with free utilities with my current job. I also spend practically nothing on gas, since I live at work.

Do you think you could work as a caretaker or handyperson or motel clerk or motel night auditor to try to get a free apartment, OP?

Also, having lived all over the country, I just want to state the obvious - large cities and university towns are always more expensive to live in than small cities and towns. So if the above doesn't work for you, pick some smaller cities (under 75,000) in cooler climates, and do some economic research on CD to find places with a stable economy, then hunt for jobs in those places. The actual CD site is very fun to use for research!

I'm certain that in these places you can find apartments or rooms for rent under $500.00. In fact, in the small city in Iowa where I live now the local paper has a duplex advertised for $475 and an "efficiency" above a downtown business is advertised for $350.00.

The world is your oyster if you will only make the effort!
Okay, that's the kind of thing I am looking for. I've lived in an efficiency, I didn't mind it at all. As long as I am in a safe neighborhood, size doesn't matter to me since I am by myself.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:51 PM

285 posts, read 437,638 times
What's an "efficiency" ?
Would that be the same as a single or a bachelors in California?

Old 08-27-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daortiz View Post
What's an "efficiency" ?
Would that be the same as a single or a bachelors in California?
It just means an apartment with no bedroom. I had one for awhile; it had a full kitchen, walk-in closets, etc. Just no bedroom. My bed was in the living area.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:14 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,097,557 times
I rent out my two units for 1500 first floor 2 bed 1 bath, 1150 second floor 2 bed 1 bath both with parking. Water and sewer included utilities are on you. I live in the Springfield/Hartford area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.