U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 07:37 AM

13,808 posts, read 28,454,505 times

Advertisements

I'll add to this ancient post too.

I moved from urban Southern CA (where I grew up) to a small town in desert CA when I was 20. On paper, that sounds like a pretty horrible idea, and while I abhorred living there in many ways, and in no way saw myself there long term, moving there turned out to be the best thing I could have ever done, because that town brought me my wife and kids, as well as many lifelong friends.

I moved from there to Denver, and my life would not be the same had I not done so. Socially, it has been an uphill climb, but professionally it could not have been a better choice. I owe this city a lot, even if it hasn't given me what I came here looking for.

I very briefly left Denver to live in Eastern WA (for work) and that short period taught me more about myself than I ever cared to know. I would not give back that experience for anything in the world, and Eastern WA has retained a place in my heart that will remain with me after I'm long gone (it is also where I intend to retire/be buried).

In short, the thought of not moving from Southern CA in the first place is a very scary thought. I would not be who I am today had I not done so. I would have missed out on all of the experiences I've had beginning roughly 15 years ago.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:16 AM

11,193 posts, read 7,463,170 times
No regerts. My only regert is not doing it sooner and more often.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 10:02 AM

14,590 posts, read 8,530,410 times
I regret staying as long as I did. The faults and flaws of a place are more apparent once you get away from it. When you are there, you just take it as "normal" when it really isn't.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:22 AM

9,758 posts, read 6,449,238 times
I left my birth area as a young adult and wish I had left earlier than that. There was no hope of ever buying my own SFH in a decent neighborhood back there, and the crowding and climate were not to my liking.

Where I chose to go, I stayed for 25 years and fulfilled a lot of dreams. But the pull of the maritime environment (where I had been born but on the opposite coast this time) drew me and my husband away for a few years. That was supposed to have been our retirement home, but aside from the fantastic natural environment, the rest of it (the human and political part) was so bizarre and full of hypocrisy we did not want to be one of those who gave up and joined the herd.

So we came back to our old chosen state and love it here. But neither of us was born here. It doesn’t matter.

HOWEVER, the OP mentioned being scared of new places and not wanting to leave friends and family, which neither of us felt burdened by.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:29 AM

6,690 posts, read 8,061,044 times
Moving is great if it is something that you have the desire to do. Some people never leave their home town and that is ok too if that is what the individual wants to do.

I personally couldn't imagine my life never leaving St. Louis. It has forced me to be a thinker and shown me how keeping an open mind keeps me happy. After living in Charlotte, Durham, Memphis, Chicago and a brief stay in Las Vegas, I can definitely say a place is what you make of it mixed in to what is conducive to your ideal lifestyle

Old 02-25-2019, 11:41 AM

9,209 posts, read 5,296,791 times
There's another thread similar to this (regret not moving).

Add me to the list of "regret moving away". Huge mistake, and likely the biggest one in my life.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:42 AM

10,633 posts, read 11,049,640 times
I moved away less than a year after college. I now feel completely stuck in my current city, a place I can't say I particularly want to be.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:00 PM

11,193 posts, read 7,463,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
There's another thread similar to this (regret not moving).

Add me to the list of "regret moving away". Huge mistake, and likely the biggest one in my life.
What is keeping you from Texas?

Old 02-25-2019, 12:02 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,451,425 times
I've never regretted moving away.

I would rather regret moving away than regret not moving away.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:59 PM

23,692 posts, read 8,187,975 times
I regret not leaving Midland, Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.