Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 02:45 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I've never regretted moving away.

I would rather regret moving away than regret not moving away.
Yes, because if you never tried elsewhere, you would always wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 03:09 PM

27,554 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
I very briefly left Denver to live in Eastern WA (for work) and that short period taught me more about myself than I ever cared to know. I would not give back that experience for anything in the world, and Eastern WA has retained a place in my heart that will remain with me after I'm long gone (it is also where I intend to retire/be buried).
So, what is so good about Eastern WA?

Old 02-25-2019, 04:02 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I regret not leaving Midland, Texas.
Why? Midland is a boom town.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:42 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,475,985 times
Try it now before it's too late. You can always move back, and you probably will, but you'll come back with lots of fond memories.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:54 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, what is so good about Eastern WA?
For me:
the scenery
the people
the culture (yes, it has one)
the climate

And I just felt some kind of freedom there that I had never felt before; it somehow just feels like home.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:14 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Why? Midland is a boom town.
cuz I have lived here in Midland for most of my life and also Midland has a horrible dating scene.Thats part of why i want to leave Midland.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:40 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
cuz I have lived here in Midland for most of my life and also Midland has a horrible dating scene.Thats part of why i want to leave Midland.
Way back in 1987 I drove through Midland and Odessa on my cross-country road trip. This was right around the time of Jessica-down-the-well.

What I remember besides seeing the “giant gooney birds bobbing their heads up and down” all over the flat fields was having guys driving big rigs honking their horns and waving at me, so many times I wondered if something was wrong with my truck. There was not. I figured out it must have been one heck of a skewed gender ratio there! So skewed that an out-of-state female seemed to become the center of attention merely by being there, LOL.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:13 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnarf5 View Post
I had a brother who was very adventurous and smart when young.. after he finished college (right out of high school) in the 1970's, he moved to middle East to teach English abroad. I on the other hand had a very traumatic teenaged years and fell into drugs and alcohol after for a few years. I learned in my late 20's I had social anxiety and I used to have terrible fear just leaving the city my parents were in. Therefore, I never moved until now in my late 50's. I do regret not having traveled more but I too had so much anxiety I just couldn't do it. I only moved now because a friend of mine moved across the country so I followed her and it does help to have someone you know in a strange place. But I realized a few years ago when my delusional son moved to another state for a short time, in a very tiny town, that the people were so friendly there (I had stereotypes in my head they would be very nasty to strangers).. and I was ready to move there but then it got cold and my son decided to move back south to where I was living. Him moving there and finding an affordable place in one day, and us being offered jobs everywhere around there (this was during the recession) and people being so friendly made me realize it would have been easy to move. I think I definitely prefer small towns. My friend on the other hand, grew up in a small town and hates them.. so now I'm back in a big city.. but I'm thinking of moving because trying to get mental health services for a person with schizophrenia in this western big city is terrible... the laws in this conservative state do not help delusional people who don't want help. that's why there are a lot of homeless people here too... Republican states don't like to spend money to help serious mentally ill people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
It's a very personal choice, since everyone has their own unique experiences, desires, work requirements, etc. I lived in Orlando and Columbus for one year spans due to work/research I was doing at the time, but was able to keep my home in the Charlotte area knowing we were going to be coming back. My wife and I just recently moved back to Charlotte from the Boston/Cape Cod area after living there temporarily for a year and a half helping care for my mother-in-law who is battling Parkinson's Disease and Dementia. Again, we kept and maintained our home in Charlotte knowing we would be returning. We enjoyed each city we lived to varying degrees, but knew we wanted to come back to Charlotte for good. It's home, all 4 of our young adult children (23-28) and 2 little granddaughters are here and have chosen to stay here for good, my extended family is here, and Charlotte and the Carolinas as a whole is a place we love living. We've traveled to most areas of the country and have learned a lot. But I don't think it's necessary to do an all-out move to an area in order to learn, "find yourself", etc. Moving is an expensive way to learn others, other areas, and learn to be content. I just see a lot of "the grass is greener" syndrome here on C-D and in my studies over the years. Looking for that "perfect' area. I've learned family ties and seeing the beauty and value of where we DO live is extremely important, more so than most younger people realize. Again, it's not to say a move would be wrong. Everyone's situation is different. Just make sure you're doing it for the right reasons and have reasonable expectations. Chasing that carrot in front of ones nose can be unnecessarily expensive, tiring, and time consuming. I know this is an old thread, but found it interesting.
You guys need to use paragraphs.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:57 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Never leaving (long island, NY). You will have to kidnap me and physically drag me away.

I travel extensively so I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by staying .. family is here, husband and I have great jobs & a good life. No reason to leave.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:01 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
Born and raised in Oceanside...great place to grow up when I did but I’m glad I have had a chance to experience elsewhere..spend more time in Manhattan when I return once or twice a year but always spend 1 or 2 days on LI...will always be home and where I will be buried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Never leaving (long island, NY). You will have to kidnap me and physically drag me away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.