Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 04:13 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times

Advertisements

I left Arkansas at age five, but I still have family there. And I do remember when I lived there. Going to Van Buren for church or going to the hospital. (Brittle-bone/OI is often more severe in the first 5-10 years of life) We went "home" every Summer when I was a boy.

However my Dad left California when he was five. He is not really "from" California as I think he rarely or never went back even to visit and has few/no connections to the place.

Online I tend to play up Arkansas though because I don't want to get into where I live. In life I say something more like "I'm originally from Arkansas, but I've lived in Mumblety-Peg since I was 5."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 09:13 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,580,317 times
My father was born on Long Island, grew up (until age 14 or so) in Pennsylvania and then moved to upstate New York. He has plenty of memories of Pennsylvania, but he considers himself "from" New York (not because he was born there, but because he lived there since age 14). He said this was a conscious choice on his part - in his early 20's he decided to switch his personal allegiance to New York State. He hasn't considered himself "from Pennsylvania" in any way since then. He now lives in Florida, but considers himself a New Yorker.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:01 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Born and raised in Kentucky, now living in California. For me, I am a California resident and if people ask me where I'm actually from (slight accent is giveaway), it's Kentucky. Simple as that!

Old 09-04-2011, 06:21 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,889 times
I just assume people say their "from" somewhere because there were born there. I've never thought about this before, but I don't have any problem with someone saying their from a particular place, even if it was just where they were born. Everybody comes from somewhere. Where you're born to me is where you're from because you came into this world from that particular place.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:45 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I just assume people say their "from" somewhere because there were born there. I've never thought about this before, but I don't have any problem with someone saying their from a particular place, even if it was just where they were born. Everybody comes from somewhere. Where you're born to me is where you're from because you came into this world from that particular place.
I agree.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:57 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,813,173 times
I think it changes as you get older.

I was born in Chicago and grew up in upstate New York, when I turned 18 I moved to Minneapolis and have now lived here for 24 years. Growing up and as a young adult I considered my self an upstate New Yorker. But now I have been here for so long that Minnesota is really my only home, and I consider myself a Minnesotan.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:48 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times
Home is where the heart is.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:21 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
How about wherever you attended the most years of school?

Old 09-05-2011, 06:04 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
Can somebody really say that they are from a specific state when they were only born there and moved at a very early age to another state? Too many times, I hear people say they are from New York in the state I'm currently living in which is GA. The person was only born there and moved before the age of 2 and lived in GA. I mean, what kind of memories would a child have of New York at that age. Even during elementary years, like 3rd grade and they move to another state and are now in their 20's, why must they continue to associate themselves with that other state when they are not even of that culture? Is it because they think it sounds cool to say they are from New York? There is nothing New York in their veins about them. They don't even have the accent, don't practice the culture, they are not of New York.

What is your opinion of this?
Than there are people like myself...I grew up in a particular state as a kid, but have almost no adult experiences in that state.

So, I feel like I can't really enjoy a good conversation about my home state, as I don't know it like an adult. But, yet, the places I know well as an adult, since I didn't technically 'grow up' in them, than apparently I can't really say I'm from them either.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:07 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Well, Superman was "from" Krypton, but he became an American (albeit an illegal alien).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.