Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 12:54 AM

3 posts, read 6,936 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I've lived in Miami (specifically in the Kendall area) for a large majority of my life. I'm also from a small middle-class Hispanic family and can speak Spanish perfectly (so I've never had any trouble with the language barrier). Having said all that, I can honestly say that I am sick and tired of this place. The people here are obnoxious, rude, arrogant, self-obsessed and materialistic and I'm looking for a place where people feel the need to read a newspaper or a magazine (or at the least watch the news) and keep up with current events.

Anyway, the reason for which I haven't been able to leave yet has been completely financial. At the moment I'm living with my parents and am a full-time student at FIU. My goal is to get my Bachelors of Science degree within the next 2 years and attend Medical School. I've been looking at a USF in Tampa which honestly seems like a great school but I'm open to the idea of going out of state.

I guess my question for the people on this forum is, if you could leave (or have already left) Miami, where and why would you go (or have gone) there? I've talked to a few of my close friends and they all say New York is amazing but I'm looking for something a little more laid back. Thanks to everyone for their replies in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 03:58 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Within Florida, probably the best alternatives are Tampa and Jacksonville, metropolitan areas, but more laid back and less expensive than Miami. If you want even more laid back and even less expensive, then consider Tallahassee, I have heard good things about the place. Ocala and Gainesville are worth mentioning.

Outside of Florida, consider one of the major cities in Texas, maybe somewhere in New Mexico.

Good luck!

Last edited by bale002; 08-17-2007 at 04:31 AM..

Old 08-17-2007, 07:08 AM

448 posts, read 1,856,012 times
Outside FL you could look into Atlanta, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston or Austin.
I've heard Gainesville really sucks, is only a college town and nothing else to it. Orlando is over rated like Miami. Tampa or JAX could be your best two options within the Sunshine State. Good luck.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:33 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
My sister just moved to Manhatten, and loves it. I would move to California. If money wasn't an issue I would live in Newport, Santa Barbara, Carmel, Laguna Niguel or Dana Point California. Close enough to LA or San Diego but far enough to be a little more laid back but with all the amenities that I would need.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:34 AM

136 posts, read 481,659 times
I find your post itself to express the rudeness and arrogance that you ascribe to Miamians. You imply that people here are uninformed and uninterested in what you consider to be the worthy activity of reading. I'd be curious to know whether or not you subscribe to The Miami Herald, and what magazines and books you have read lately. When was the last time you went to the public library? Last night, I attended a wonderful, well-attended event at the Miami Art Museum. The museum was open until 10, with hors d'oeuvres served all evening and intriguing artworks on display. Did you attend?

Pick whichever major city you'd like; I'd bet you'll be back in Miami in 5 years.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:38 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
stat3man - who are you asking this too?

Old 08-17-2007, 07:13 PM

448 posts, read 1,856,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stat3man View Post
I find your post itself to express the rudeness and arrogance that you ascribe to Miamians. You imply that people here are uninformed and uninterested in what you consider to be the worthy activity of reading. I'd be curious to know whether or not you subscribe to The Miami Herald, and what magazines and books you have read lately. When was the last time you went to the public library? Last night, I attended a wonderful, well-attended event at the Miami Art Museum. The museum was open until 10, with hors d'oeuvres served all evening and intriguing artworks on display. Did you attend?

Pick whichever major city you'd like; I'd bet you'll be back in Miami in 5 years.
Not to be rude, but you are the exception to the rule, as far as culture is concern in Miami. Most citizens of this city don't have much interest on cultural events, museums (who can blame them, our museums only have photo expositions), or world affairs. Our local news are filled with what Shack did, who Britney slept with and other news trash. We truly don't have much culture to offer.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:39 PM

110 posts, read 438,817 times
ccmartin: i am deeply spiritual man and man of God. If you ask me my friend, the sun is not better on the east or on the west. it is all how you make it. people always want to move somewhere to escape from their own problems. but in fact they will always bring their problems with them, wherever you go. so instead to change your surrounding, try to change your self. when you change yourself things around you will start to change.
if you see the world as abundant place, you will become abundant. it is all about attitude my friend.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:58 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,250,376 times
You should definitely see other areas if you don't like this one! You may miss this place in the end, but that also might be nostalgia which can be a confusing thing. Who knows, you might be MUCH happier somewhere else.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:30 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,446 times
LoveMiami,

To a certain extent I have to disagree with you. Yes, I agree that one pretty much can change their outlook on life, be more positive etc. I also definitely believe in "Attitude", whether being a positive one or a negative one can really make a big difference in your happiness or lack of. However, where I disagree is that actually moving from an area, neighborhood, city, or even region is often necessary to better enjoy your life, peace of mind, and easily be more optimistic about life. For example, if you are use to living in a quiet, peaceful, civilized, caring, and educated neighborhood or town, and for whatever reason, you have to live in the "HOOD"; high crime, ignorant people, cars driving cranking their stereos at 1:00 am during the weekday, rude neighbors. Then the area that you once live at is gradually turning to what I described above, and before you know it, many of your surrounding areas are like this, yes a change may be necessary.

So even though this example is a bit extreme, sometimes moving out of an area or region to escape your problems is necessary and will help restore, a better attitude, happiness, and more peace of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.