Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 11:13 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
My take on this is, gentrification is on thing black are being priced out of neighborhoods that were once majority black; moving to the suburbs of their cities. Also, many black people are moving to the suburbs because we are "better off" than we once were. Furthermore, black people are moving back to the south in search of better opportunities, more family oriented environments....etc. Finally, the 10 largest today weren't to same 10 they were years ago, places like Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, which have relatively small black population have replaced cities like Baltimore, Cleveland, Detroit...etc, that had a larger percentage of black people.
i somewhat agree with this. and:

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Also don't forget that many cities are seeing huge increases in Hispanic growth that isdisplacing the residents of many once black neighborhoods as we see in New York, LA, Chicago, Detroit and others I assume. So some places it's a decline in actual numbers, others just a decline in share of the overall population.
this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 01:31 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
cities like Baltimore and Detroit with the dominate minorities that are Blacks got replaced with San Deigo, and San Antiono which are Hispanic as its second largest racial group.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:58 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
My take on this is, gentrification is on thing black are being priced out of neighborhoods that were once majority black; moving to the suburbs of their cities. Also, many black people are moving to the suburbs because we are "better off" than we once were. Furthermore, black people are moving back to the south in search of better opportunities, more family oriented environments....etc. Finally, the 10 largest today weren't to same 10 they were years ago, places like Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, which have relatively small black population have replaced cities like Baltimore, Cleveland, Detroit...etc, that had a larger percentage of black people.
When did Houston and Dallas ever have small black populations especially compared to the cities you named? I can understand your point about Phoenix but not the Texas two.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:04 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
My take on this is, gentrification is one thing black are being priced out of neighborhoods that were once majority black; moving to the suburbs of their cities. Also, many black people are moving to the suburbs because we are "better off" than we once were.
I agree having witnessed it in the Northeast US for many years. Many urban neighborhoods have gentrified and it has turned them into higher priced places to live. Many urban Blacks (along with Hispanics) who have been priced out of those gentrified neighborhoods have moved into older "inner ring suburbs" as the progression for those attracted to the suburbs (the new construction-only types) continues to creep further and further out.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:50 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
There seems to be a lot of blanket assumptions in this thread. First, not all Northern cities are losing blacks. Second, the cost of living is not more expensive in all of the North vs. South. There seems to be this perception that NYC equals the entire Northeast, Midwest, and upper Plains. It's bs and I wish people would stop repeating this crap as factual.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:37 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
There seems to be a lot of blanket assumptions in this thread. First, not all Northern cities are losing blacks. Second, the cost of living is not more expensive in all of the North vs. South. There seems to be this perception that NYC equals the entire Northeast, Midwest, and upper Plains. It's bs and I wish people would stop repeating this crap as factual.
and the problem is the Top Ten cities changed over the last 50 years.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:52 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I calculated the census numbers for the top 10 cities between 1960-2000. The black population reached it's peak in 1970 and then declined after that year. Why is that? What is it about bigger cities that's turning Black Americans away?

2000 - 6,018,351
1990 - 6,063,931
1980 - 6,136,959
1970 - 6,361,402
1960 - 4,664,505

I don't know the data yet for the Top 10 Cities for 2010.
I think that Hurricane Katrina skewed these figures. After the hurricane, there were hundreds of thousands of people who left New Orleans, and many of them were black.

Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Toledo, St. Louis, Chicago and Baltimore all lost OVERALL population during the past 10 years, so certainly that would extrapolate into lower African American population numbers.

I think the statistics you quote are not clearly representative of a particular trend other than many large cities (especially in the north) are losing people. I would guess that there are many smaller cities in the south where the increases in black population offset these numbers.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-06-2011, 06:30 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I think the statistics you quote are not clearly representative of a particular trend other than many large cities (especially in the north) are losing people. I would guess that there are many smaller cities in the south where the increases in black population offset these numbers.
Actually, you can find the trend in smaller Southern cities as well. Just two examples from my native SC:

Whites flock to Columbia, blacks to Richland County - Redistricting - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2011/03/27/1752757/awaiting-a-benjamin-quote-waddell.html - broken link)

The Post and Courier - RACIAL SHIFT: Charleston peninsula's makeup reverses in 30 years, with blacks leaving for suburbs, area becoming two-thirds white

Old 09-06-2011, 07:54 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Very true and in fact, every city in Upstate NY with at least 10,000 people has seen an increase in Black percentage and community population(except for perhaps Saratoga Springs thanks to gentrification). I believe that every city in Upstate NY with at least 40,000 people is around the national Black percentage of roughly 13%. Buffalo and Rochester are around 40%. Albany, Poughkeepsie and Syracuse are in the low 30's. Schenectady, Niagara Falls and Newburgh are in the low to mid 20's. Except for Poughkeepsie and Newburgh, the rest have average to just below average COL.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:59 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
I'll tell you why............

in the 60s & 70s blacks moved in, ran the whites out, tore up everything they could, brought in crime and other bad elements, and then blamed the whites for it all happening......

Fast forward to the 2000s & 2010s...... living in the city is "cool" again, and since the presence of the blacks ran down property values, the whites and hispanics have bought up property, ran out the blacks, fixed up the neighborhoods, reduced crime, and made city living "desirable" again.
What a fairytale world you live in. In everyone else's world, hispanics do the complete opposite of this. Circa 2000 & 2010s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.