Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:49 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Having spent my whole life in the middle, I have had experiences with people from both sides. People from the west are far less arrogant and condescending than easterners, in my experience. I can even see it in this thread. I now live somewhere that's more western, and I love it.

What is your problem, calling people arrogant, and condescending? what are you stupid or something...

Personally I like the diversity that exists in the US overall, what makes the country what it is and to me that is special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 09:14 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
What is your problem, calling people arrogant, and condescending? what are you stupid or something...

Personally I like the diversity that exists in the US overall, what makes the country what it is and to me that is special.
Hmmm....definitely not stupid! I just call 'em like I see 'em, and that has been my experience. That doesn't mean I don't like diversity or those people. However, there was definitely an air of condescension.

I should add...the one who was the biggest jerk happened to be from Philly.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Hmmm....definitely not stupid! I just call 'em like I see 'em, and that has been my experience. That doesn't mean I don't like diversity or those people. However, there was definitely an air of condescension.

I should add...the one who was the biggest jerk happened to be from Philly.

Think it is just a higher level of humor (I think you missed my sarcasm in the original post as it translates poorly in these forums), sorry you had a bad expereince in Philly, seems like there are jerks everywhere though

Old 09-18-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Think it is just a higher level of humor (I think you missed my sarcasm in the original post as it translates poorly in these forums), sorry you had a bad expereince in Philly, seems like there are jerks everywhere though
I didn't totally miss it. I thought it may have been sarcasm but chose to take the higher road in case it wasn't. You never know with some of the posters here! LOL

I had a bad experience with someone from Philly, but that was just one person. I still think it seems like a cool place I'd like to visit some day. You are right, there are jerks everywhere! I don't dislike all easterners nor do I like all westerners. It's an interesting view from the middle!

Old 09-18-2011, 10:01 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
I didn't totally miss it. I thought it may have been sarcasm but chose to take the higher road in case it wasn't. You never know with some of the posters here! LOL

I had a bad experience with someone from Philly, but that was just one person. I still think it seems like a cool place I'd like to visit some day. You are right, there are jerks everywhere! I don't dislike all easterners nor do I like all westerners. It's an interesting view from the middle!
If you aren't a big city person I would recommend visting the interior Northeast and New England. Most residents of the Plains have almost zero familiarity at all with that region compared to the West.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:

Fair enough was probably a little much in terms of sarcasm for the written forum

My point overall is I love the diversity of both coasts and the interior part of what makes America, well America and am proud of this country

As Granite stater said there are many places in the East some not far removed from the cities that can offer quite the dichotomy (including natural beauty) that often get overlooked by perceptions of the large cities

Old 09-18-2011, 10:14 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I always enjoyed this cartoon from the New Yorker magazine years back. A New Yorkers "view of the world"..

Old 09-18-2011, 10:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
A lot of talk about North vs. South, but how about East vs. West?

I'm from the East. When I was a kid, taking road trips across the country, the Western states were not as populated as they are now. Most Americans lived east of the Mississippi, and particularly in the Northeast. Many people who lived in the West were transplants from the East.

That's all changed now, and there are generations of Americans who only know about living in the West and don't even have any family ties back East.
I'm guessing there are people who find the East as exotic as I found the West when I was a kid.

Thoughts? For people who have lived both East and West, what is your preference and why?

For people in the West, what did you think the first time you visited the East?
The bold is still the case today in the mountain west, perhaps Wash and Ore as well, at least for people in the Boomer Age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Nevertheless, there are far more people in the West now who have NEVER lived in the East, or their parents or even grandparents haven't.
Probaby more than in the past, but probably about 25% of adults in CO were born here, and maybe 75% of kids in school (k-12).

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncocktail View Post
East Coast people are not rude, it's just very fast paced here...West Coast people are very laid back...They walk, talk, eat everything sllloooooww...It's just annoying !!! Plus who could live without the fresh Italian bread hot outa the oven loaded with melting butter...Pizza and cheese steaks...OMG enough said...
Jersey girl...
I dunno, California is not particulary laid-back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
You're speaking as if South Jersey is fast paced..........................
And as if LA is slow!

Old 09-18-2011, 10:23 AM

815 posts, read 1,857,879 times
Prefer west coast weather but... I actually prefer the green of the East Coast (of the Mississippi)... both (North/South) Also prefer the cities/small towns scattered on the East Coast, and it's more similarness and closeness to mainland Europe and the Caribbean and Eastern Canada. Living on West Coast was interesting, but I always felt "out of the loop" and might as well have been living in a different country if so far away from the East Coast I'd just assume live in Ireland/UK/France to be honest b/c the plane flights aren't that much different in time or cost. Also family plays a big factor. Many places on the east coast you are looking at driving and could do it in 10-12 hours sub 1000 miles for many many people. However driving from West Coast to East coast you are looking at 2500 miles plus, so a flight is in order. As somebody who likes to travel for culture and cities. The Eastern side of the U.S. is just a farrr better option in my opinion. You can drive the west coast states for miles of great expanse and not see anything. Also preferring the Eastern side of the U.S. has nothing to do with big cities or NYC or anything like that, though it is there if you like it. The smaller/midsize cities are better and more numerous IMO. Also unless you are into SERIOUS skiing or need 14k's for mountain climbing most of the apalachian range provides for excellent outdoors/hiking, and again, I prefer the more green areas as opposed to the often more arid scenery overall. I also prefer the beaches of the East Coast far better, white sands, dunes, warm water as opposed to craggy and breathtaking backdrops, higher waves, but more rocky and extremely cold water most of the year. If I want a beach scene I want it as close to a carribean feel as possible and not the colder west coast version.
Also I think Utah, Wyoming, Colorado and Montana are far more beautiful than the "coastal" areas of the west which are fairly overrated esp if you have been to what I consider "better" mediterranean landscapes such as Italy, Greece, Croatia, etc.

Last edited by Garfieldian; 09-18-2011 at 10:37 AM..

Old 09-18-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Fair enough was probably a little much in terms of sarcasm for the written forum

My point overall is I love the diversity of both coasts and the interior part of what makes America, well America and am proud of this country

As Granite stater said there are many places in the East some not far removed from the cities that can offer quite the dichotomy (including natural beauty) that often get overlooked by perceptions of the large cities
I love the diversity too. I think too many people take for granted all the options we have in this country.

I would love to visit the northeast and New England. Unfortunately, this whole job thing really cramps my style!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.