Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 05:39 PM

69 posts, read 203,798 times

Advertisements

What would you guys say are the best places to live in the US when it comes to:

- Good, consistent waves
- Warm weather (and water!)
- And it being a generally nice area? (Not run-down or anything like that)

Just curious. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 06:23 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,912 times
Hawaii

Old 09-06-2011, 06:44 PM

698 posts, read 1,509,312 times
Honolulu, Hawaii. Surfing was invented in Hawaii. The best surf in the USA is on Oahu's north shore. Anybody that tells you differently doesn't know much about surfing.

The other Hawaiian islands are good as well but Oahu is considered the best of the islands for surfing.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:14 PM

635 posts, read 1,540,572 times
- Good, consistent waves: San Diego
- Warm weather (and water!): Southern California/Hawaii
- And it being a generally nice area? (Not run-down or anything like that): Southern California - North County region of metropolitan San Diego and Orange County.

Many places in Southern California will fit your description. Encinitas is a particular good city for surf. Florida can get nice during hurricane season but other wise the surf is pretty weak. NorCal has good stuff but it's cold. Baja has good surf as well but sometimes the areas are run down. If you're surfing in Baja you might want to stick to the Ensenada area, it's much more developed though parts of Tijuana and the coast have been recognized as nice - particular the Americanized areas around San Antonio del Mar.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:17 PM

801 posts, read 1,513,306 times
Don't know how it compares to the rest of the country but Jacksonville (Beach) has good waves at all times of the year. Again, I can only go off of Florida cities and compared to other cities in Florida, Jacksonville (Beach) is #1.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:02 PM

635 posts, read 1,540,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Don't know how it compares to the rest of the country but Jacksonville (Beach) has good waves at all times of the year. Again, I can only go off of Florida cities and compared to other cities in Florida, Jacksonville (Beach) is #1.
No offense, but #1 in Florida doesn't mean much. Or anywhere on the East/Gulf coast. The waves by nature just aren't as large. I remember laughing when the newspapers reported that Hurricane Irene stirred up "7 ft waves" when that is considered average in Southern California.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:13 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,411,423 times
Default Hawii for sure

Southern California water is freezing cold. Hawaii has the incredible waves and the water is warm. It is the clear winner here.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:08 PM

69 posts, read 203,798 times
Thanks for the replies! How about on the mainland; what's the best area to live for surfing? I'd love to live in Hawaii, but... it's so far away and everything...

Old 09-08-2011, 04:18 PM

801 posts, read 1,513,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
No offense, but #1 in Florida doesn't mean much. Or anywhere on the East/Gulf coast. The waves by nature just aren't as large. I remember laughing when the newspapers reported that Hurricane Irene stirred up "7 ft waves" when that is considered average in Southern California.
Lol. It's cool. It does meet the criteria, though. We have consisten waves, they're just not that tall. Last Sunday I went to the beach and there were lots of people surfing. I have no clue how tall they got, but they were taller than any other waves I've seen. I'm not a surfer though.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:31 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
Wyoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.