Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 09:55 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crpowell123 View Post
My Dad always said if you took Raleigh out of NC, then we would be Mississippi and that is the truth.
So thank God NC has Raleigh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 10:02 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bram73 View Post
I mean the state is bordered by TN VA SC GA.Which VA has the least to do with it.
???? Are you kidding me? NC shares a VERY long border with VA and has more in common with it than both GA or TN (which share much smaller borders in the mountains). SC and VA are both very connected to NC. Given that Charlotte is on the SC border, that alone probably connects it a bit more strongly to NC than VA does. But, remember, Hampton Roads sits right on top of NC. So, that's a similar relationship. Also, southern VA is in Raleigh's and Greesboro's TV markets.

What I am saying is that VA too is in the South and can't be casually disassociated from NC.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:27 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,130 times
The Mason Dixion line is too far North! The Mason Dixion line is exactly where it was intended. Some Nuts think the line was to divide the South from the North,WRONG!!

Old 10-11-2011, 11:03 PM

68 posts, read 139,417 times
I actually take that back I dont know what I was thinking I live right under VA and i know that south VA has everything to do with NC. But since I'm posting I had this interestin talk with this man the other day while I was in Danville VA and me and him had a long talk. He told me that the mid-atlantic was never a geographical reigon but a settlement one. He was talking to me about the original 13 colonies etc and told me to look at the mid colonies NY NJ PA DE and he said thats the mid atlantic. I went home picked up a 1971 world encyclopedia and to my suprise the only listed states were NY PA NJ and DE was just talked about. IDK what happend over the years but for some reason this region has extended into something it's not. I think nomad443 did a perfect job breaking it down. The more research i do the more i come to realize something strange happened. Went from bein just 4 states to 7? Other day seen a 18 wheeler that said mid atlantic print and it had Richmond Charlotte Greenville SC its in SC now? crazy

Old 10-14-2011, 03:53 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crpowell123 View Post
My Dad always said if you took Raleigh out of NC, then we would be Mississippi and that is the truth
No offense, but your dad has no clue what he's talking about. Without Raleigh, NC still has a much more extensive coastline, higher and larger mountains, and two urban regions (Charlotte and the Triad) with 1.5 million+ residents which have, between the two of them, major league pro sports, major convention facilities, busier airports, and 13 Fortune 500 headquarters. And if your dad was talking about Raleigh proper, that still leaves NC with UNC and Duke.

It's a great thing that NC has Raleigh, but without it, NC would still be a solid, well-rounded state and light years ahead of Mississippi.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:17 AM

123 posts, read 219,262 times
It is the south, but not the deep south. The deep south is bama, mississippi, louisianna, georgia, arkansas, west virginia, and all of tennesse that's within 100 miles of bama mississippi, or arkansas, and the southern half of south carolina.

The other southern but not deep south states are the texas between san antonio and houston, the north florida panhandle, north carolina, the northen half of sc, tenessee, and kentucky.

I don't consider any part of virginia or maryland the south despite historical connections and the mason dixon line.

This is coming from a lifelong southerner who has spent time in every state in the south and also virginia, and has lived in 3 states in the south. Most folks I know from the south that really know the south agree with what I have stated.

When you have spent 25 years in the south an deep south you can feel it in the air. You just know when your in the south, when your in the deep south, and when your mid atlantic. Virigina is mid atlantic and not southern, nc is southern but not the deep south. Bama is the dirty and southern louisianna is the bottom which is a nect leve of deep south.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggDaddyDroid View Post
I don't consider any part of virginia or maryland the south despite historical connections and the mason dixon line...Virigina is mid atlantic and not southern
Geographically speaking, the majority of Virginia is undeniably Southern IMO. The only parts that are "mid-Atlantic" are the DC suburbs and maybe portions of Hampton Roads.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:10 AM

123 posts, read 219,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Geographically speaking, the majority of Virginia is undeniably Southern IMO. The only parts that are "mid-Atlantic" are the DC suburbs and maybe portions of Hampton Roads.
Like I said I'm from the south. My folks are from the south going back hundreds of years so geography means nothing to me. Its the culture that I notice.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:05 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
I went to the NASCAR Track in Concord NC during the races(I didn't go to see the race), and I visited those tent city, bazaar, flee market type places with the RV's parked outside the racetrack where they sell all kinds of tee-shirts, food, merchandise, tools, etc. Let's just say after that experience, NC is still VERY MUCH Southern. But then again, those events attract people from ALL over the South.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggDaddyDroid View Post
Like I said I'm from the south. My folks are from the south going back hundreds of years so geography means nothing to me. Its the culture that I notice.
I'm talking about culture as well. Of course in NOVA Southern culture is pretty diluted, and one could probably make that argument for portions of Hampton Roads as well. Everywhere else in Virginia is undeniably Southern.

And I'm a born and bred Southerner (South Carolinian) as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.