Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 11:27 PM

6 posts, read 9,870 times

Advertisements

i need help deciding where to live. here is what im looking for:

varied seasons (winter, summer, etc). i live in arizona now and im sick of the "year round summer time".

greenery. trees.

water. either by the ocean or river.

preferably a bigger city. im not much for small little towns.

reasonably priced.

a good college / university system. im currently a community college student.

pedestrian / bicycle friendly.

id love to try living on the east coast. nyc is too expensive, boston too it seems. florida does not interest me. atlanta seems to be automobile centric.

as for the west coast.......seattle looks nice. but pricey. portland does not interest me. ive lived in sacramento before and loved it (but i want to try something new). the bay area is awesome but too expensive. i dont like southern california. las vegas does not interest me.

its so hard to decide where to go. ive been thinking about places like minneapolis, chicago, tennessee, north carolina.

any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 04:48 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Out west, you might also consider

Bellingham, WA
Olympia, WA
Spokane, WA
Eugene, OR
Corvallis, OR

I'm not sure what you didn't/don't like about Portland....

If anybody suggests anywhere in Colorado I'm going to: .

Old 09-10-2011, 08:48 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
I'd probably look into Baltimore and Philly.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:41 AM

49 posts, read 106,493 times
I've been living in Washington all my life. I'm 21. I grew up in a suburb of Seattle. We have definite seasons, and one of the reasons why I like the pacific northwest is for the greenery, and water. Its really beautiful.

As far as it being expensive its about 770 for a 1 bedroom apartment, but could easily go up to 1200. Studios are 650-700. I live in a room for rent with a private bath for 550.

I know Oklahoma is cheap and I considered moving there. I know Tulsa Ok is green.

Some areas in Washington I would recommend are
downtown redmond, you are right next to a lake, and huge park, if you live downtown you are within walking distance to stores and mall.

downtown seattle is nice, kinda dirty in my opinion, Fremont is a nice area.

not sure if I was any help.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:27 AM

6 posts, read 9,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valgal123 View Post
I've been living in Washington all my life. I'm 21. I grew up in a suburb of Seattle. We have definite seasons, and one of the reasons why I like the pacific northwest is for the greenery, and water. Its really beautiful.

As far as it being expensive its about 770 for a 1 bedroom apartment, but could easily go up to 1200. Studios are 650-700. I live in a room for rent with a private bath for 550.

I know Oklahoma is cheap and I considered moving there. I know Tulsa Ok is green.

Some areas in Washington I would recommend are
downtown redmond, you are right next to a lake, and huge park, if you live downtown you are within walking distance to stores and mall.

downtown seattle is nice, kinda dirty in my opinion, Fremont is a nice area.

not sure if I was any help.
downtown seattle sounds best to me. i like to be in the middle of everything. dirty downtown areas are what i like. call me crazy.

i forgot to mention too that id also like to live in a city with: a good international airport, and major league sports teams.

its looking like seattle is where i should go, and i always have wanted to live there too. but still, there is something about the east coast too that appeals to me......

i did not like portland oregon when i visited there years ago....i mean, it was nice and all, but it reminded me too much of my hometown of sacramento. i love sacramento. but i want something new. idk portland just didnt do it for me.

ive only been to seattle once, and that was over 10 years ago. im sure its only gotten better.

i like chicago alot, but only the city. im not much for outside suburbs. ive been to chicago several times and i really like it, but it would be a big jump. and they do not really seem to have a college/university that would fit me well.

columbus ohio has the ohio state university, and that really appeals to me. but they are not by the water and there are no major league sports teams, besides college teams.

i think its pretty much coming down to seattle, chicago, or throwing a dart at a map..............

Old 09-11-2011, 08:40 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Boston would be an ideal fit for you. It has loads of higher educational opportunities ( I think 22 within the city limits that grant a 4 year degree or better) and is a city full of students who seem to get by financially just fine every year. It has the climate, excellent recreational opportunities and is very pedestrian-bike friendly. Check out the areas of East Boston, Everett, Malden, Medford, Quincy, Roslindale, parts of Cambridge and Somerville. As a city chock full of students, finding an affordable apartment to share won't be difficult and it's a good way to meet people in a new city.

boston rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist
Boston Area Colleges - Boston Area Universities

Old 09-11-2011, 12:18 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,104,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belkbelknap View Post
i need help deciding where to live. here is what im looking for:

varied seasons (winter, summer, etc). i live in arizona now and im sick of the "year round summer time".

greenery. trees.

water. either by the ocean or river.

preferably a bigger city. im not much for small little towns.

reasonably priced.

a good college / university system. im currently a community college student.

pedestrian / bicycle friendly.

id love to try living on the east coast. nyc is too expensive, boston too it seems. florida does not interest me. atlanta seems to be automobile centric.

as for the west coast.......seattle looks nice. but pricey. portland does not interest me. ive lived in sacramento before and loved it (but i want to try something new). the bay area is awesome but too expensive. i dont like southern california. las vegas does not interest me.

its so hard to decide where to go. ive been thinking about places like minneapolis, chicago, tennessee, north carolina.

any suggestions?
Minneapolis... or CLEVELAND! Believe it or not, both are rapidly gentrifying but still cultural and educational hotspots that are car-free friendly and have 4 beautiful seasons. Cleveland has Lake Erie and Minneapolis has the Mississippi River. Cleveland is in the process of "coming back", so if you want to be a part of something, it's the place for you. It also has world class cultural amenities that compete with Chicago and NYC (the orchestra, theater district). Minneapolis already "came back" so if you want to live in a beautiful, clean, safe city with a lot to offer as well.

The poster above recommended Columbus which is definitely car dependent. Cleveland has both heavy rail AND a bus system that mixes traditional buses with BRT. It's home to Case Western Reserve University (one of the top research universities in North America) and Cleveland State University (one of America's best TRULY urban universities) as well as smaller schools like John Carrol and the CIA.

Minneapolis-St. Paul has the UMN as well as smaller schools like Metro State, Augsburg, St. Cath, St. Thomas, and Concordia.

Both have NFL, NBA, and MLB teams with Minnesota having the Wild and Cleveland having the Blue Jackets and Crew 2 hours south.

You can find rent in either for under $500 per person near the educational institutions if you don't mind an apartment/house with housemates (not roommates). Boston rent, comparatively, will be more than 3x that on average per person with a roommate to achieve a similar quality location.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:16 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
A sleeper could be Buffalo. You would probably like areas like Allentown, Elmwood Village, North Park and one of the densest suburbs in the country in Kenmore. They have plenty of state and private colleges, major league sports, an underrated arts scene and is in a good location in relation to major cities in the US and Canada.

The Elmwood Village Association

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

My Elmwood Village : Buffalo New York Neighborhood Information & Events

Allentown Association
Allentown Art Festival

Buffalo Neighborhoods Map - University at Buffalo Libraries

North Buffalo - Buffalo Neighborhoods Map - University at Buffalo Libraries
Hertel-North Buffalo Business Association, Inc.

Welcome to the Village of Kenmore

Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority (NFTA) - Metro

Welcome to the University at Buffalo - University at Buffalo
Buffalo State College

Search
Amherst Apartments for Rent | Amherst NY Apartment Finder

Old 09-12-2011, 06:03 AM

508 posts, read 1,021,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Out west, you might also consider

Bellingham, WA
Olympia, WA
Spokane, WA
Eugene, OR
Corvallis, OR

I'm not sure what you didn't/don't like about Portland....

If anybody suggests anywhere in Colorado I'm going to: .
I agree with Spokane Washington... sounds exactally like what your looking for but look in the valley (spokane valley / liberty lake area)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.