Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2011, 11:18 AM

52 posts, read 91,149 times

Advertisements

Hello. After some consideration, I think I've decided where to move to: Seattle. (Runners-up is Chicago; I currently live in Milwaukee. Boston was also considered, but decided it's too expensive/housing seems too tight there...) Would be looking to move very soon. However, I don't have a job lined up beforehand; I've not had luck in getting hired from another city in the past (I work for the city of Milwaukee as a file clerk---not an IT person or have a highly-lucrative resume to employers, apparently), and after months of looking, this time's no different. Thus, starting to have doubts on whether I should move without a job lined up first (in this economy), or whether I should go cross-country at all (vs just going down to Chicago; I'd be close to family in northern Indiana, at least).

Has anyone here moved without a job lined up? Or has thoughts on moving to Seattle vs moving to Chicago?

Further input to the above:
- I'd like to try to pursue work involving my writing skills (technical writing, copywriting, etc) and/or my clerical skills. Thought Seattle's tech industry might be strong in that regard.

- Per research done on Bureau of Labor & Statistics' website, Seattle's unemployment rate is 9.1%, while Chicago's is 10.3% (national average of 9.3%).

- I've spent most of my life in the midwest (in Indiana/Milwaukee), save a failed attempt to move to Portland, Oregon 9 years ago. I didn't have a job lined up then either, and was forced to move away after less than a year after not being able to find work (the economy then was also in a recession). Though I didn't have as much money saved up as I did now (or planned it as well/less technology on hand)...

- I'd rather not stay put in Milwaukee (I hate it here... my apartment's lousy, not fond of the local culture, I don't like my current job, and said job is facing what amounts to a pay cut in 2012, after this year's union contract is up/the state's Tea Party governor-led union busting).

- My interests include: comics, animation, writing, and computers. Politically, wanted someplace fairly liberal/gay-friendly/diverse. Not a big outdoorsman, admittedly. Being near Canada would be nice (for Seattle's case), as I've always liked Canada. I don't have a car, so I'd be taking mass transit everywhere. Do like Chicago's weather/food/sports teams (well, it being more of a hockey town) better than Seattle's...

- I thought I could try to arrange work through a temporary agency after moving.

Any input is appreciated... thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 11:22 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonynotes View Post
Hello. After some consideration, I think I've decided where to move to: Seattle. (Runners-up is Chicago; I currently live in Milwaukee. Boston was also considered, but decided it's too expensive/housing seems too tight there...) Would be looking to move very soon. However, I don't have a job lined up beforehand; I've not had luck in getting hired from another city in the past (I work for the city of Milwaukee as a file clerk---not an IT person or have a highly-lucrative resume to employers, apparently), and after months of looking, this time's no different. Thus, starting to have doubts on whether I should move without a job lined up first (in this economy), or whether I should go cross-country at all (vs just going down to Chicago; I'd be close to family in northern Indiana, at least).

Has anyone here moved without a job lined up? Or has thoughts on moving to Seattle vs moving to Chicago?

Further input to the above:
- I'd like to try to pursue work involving my writing skills (technical writing, copywriting, etc) and/or my clerical skills. Thought Seattle's tech industry might be strong in that regard.

- Per research done on Bureau of Labor & Statistics' website, Seattle's unemployment rate is 9.1%, while Chicago's is 10.3% (national average of 9.3%).

- I've spent most of my life in the midwest (in Indiana/Milwaukee), save a failed attempt to move to Portland, Oregon 9 years ago. I didn't have a job lined up then either, and was forced to move away after less than a year after not being able to find work (the economy then was also in a recession). Though I didn't have as much money saved up as I did now (or planned it as well/less technology on hand)...

- I'd rather not stay put in Milwaukee (I hate it here... my apartment's lousy, not fond of the local culture, and my job is facing what amounts to a pay cut in 2012, after this year's union contract is up/the state's Tea Party governor-led union busting).

- My interests include: comics, animation, writing, and computers. Politically, wanted someplace fairly liberal/gay-friendly/diverse. Not a big outdoorsman, admittedly. Being near Canada would be nice (for Seattle's case), as I've always liked Canada. I don't have a car, so I'd be taking mass transit everywhere. Do like Chicago's weather/food/sports teams (well, it being more of a hockey town) better than Seattle's...

- I thought I could try to arrange work through a temporary agency after moving.

Any input is appreciated... thanks!
If you don't like the local Milwaukee culture, why would you consider Chicago; it's a bigger Milwaukee with better shopping and lots of superior attitude. Also, the Cook County unemployment is at 11%.
Seattle is a 180 from Chicago/Milwaukee. I'd try going out there...if you don't like it, Chicago and Milwaukee aren't going anywhere soon.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
If you don't like the local Milwaukee culture, why would you consider Chicago; it's a bigger Milwaukee with better shopping and lots of superior attitude. Also, the Cook County unemployment is at 11%.
Seattle is a 180 from Chicago/Milwaukee. I'd try going out there...if you don't like it, Chicago and Milwaukee aren't going anywhere soon.
Yes, I was considering going to Chicago if Seattle didn't work out (after a year or so) as a "backup" plan...

Old 09-10-2011, 12:04 PM

801 posts, read 1,513,306 times
Based on what you like, I think Seattle would be perfect. But I wouldn't move until I had a job.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:00 PM
SWV

445 posts, read 1,337,222 times
This is what I would do..I would VISIT Seattle first for about a week, stay in a hotel if you can't afford a hotel, try a motel, if not sleep in your car. But try to get a feel for it, when you're there get up everyday at 7:00am and go job hunting like crazy. I wouldn't personally move without a job unless I had enough money saved up.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:30 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times
Ever consider Charlotte, North Carolina ?

Old 09-13-2011, 07:42 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,366 times
Ignore biased opinion about which choice is "better" from certain people on citydata. Visit both places and choose what YOU like best. Moving without a job is always a risk though, no matter what city.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:24 PM

After some more thought (and a lot of other input/queries like this post), I've decided to stay put for the time being (until April 1st---my apartment doesn't allow me to move out during winter months). Giving me time to *try* to find a job before moving, or attempt networking... though I'm still not fully confident on achieving either one. My number of connections on LinkedIn, etc., isn't exactly sky-high.

Re: Seattle: I was there for a week to explore it (back in May), but didn't do any interviewing or such.

Re: Charlotte: I don't want to live in the South, sorry. Want somewhere less conservative/more gay-friendly than there (and without being as warm/humid year-round).

Anyway, thanks for all of your help!

Old 09-15-2011, 06:12 AM

410 posts, read 832,886 times
Seattle is one of the most expensive areas of the country (although it sounds like a place that you would like). I would not move there without a job unless you have a few months savings in the bank. Glad you decided to stay put for now.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:42 AM

90 posts, read 188,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Based on what you like, I think Seattle would be perfect. But I wouldn't move until I had a job.
That's not always ideal, unless your in a senior level occupation, few employers will invest their recruiting time in someone from out of state.

Here is a breakdown of various Seattle occupations and how their doing, the first two I personally work in, the rest is just what I've picked up via word of mouth.

construction trades-three major projects taking place; the Alaskan Way viaduct, the Evergreen Pt floating bridge, and the expansion of the north light rail line.

manufacturing-boeing boeing and boeing. This company is the driving engine for the entire region.

admin/office (entry/mid-levels). not bad judging from craigslist, decent temp market too.

professional-this is where it gets a little unpredictable, the more specialized you are, the harder it will be. I know a couple that were both attorneys that gave up and left the state. But I know a couple first year teachers that found work right away.

I think if your willing to do something indirectly related to your career untiil a better position comes along, then you'll be fine. The only caveat is wages are going down but I think that's a problem everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.