Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 11:22 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
How does East Texas look "west"?
I meant to say wet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 11:25 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Seems like weather is the last straw for a lot of people. The heat makes people want to leave the great state of Texas, and the bitter cold and snow convinces New Yorkers to abandon their beloved city. Or maybe these people never cared for where they lived in the first place.

I admit that I've considered leaving Texas. Not for something "better", just something different. Because unlike others, I understand that no place is perfect, and definitely not officially superior to this state. So you will be compromising something upon leaving here.

Then again, some people simply aren't meant for Texas, and you'll want to be careful around these types. They'll likely have the mark of the beast etched somewhere on their body. I'm not even kidding.
I've never seen anything in the Bible that said "Leaving Texas is the work of Satan and the sign of the anti-christ". LOL.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:04 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
You might like Springfield, MO. It has more of an upland South feel, but with a milder climate and much more greenery.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:02 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
You might like Springfield, MO. It has more of an upland South feel, but with a milder climate and much more greenery.
More greenery than central Texas maybe, but likely on par with East Texas.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:04 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
Quote:
I actually found East Texas to be greener than Southwest Missouri/Springfield by a pretty wide margin when I lived there. Now the Ozarks are a different story, but that Southwest Corner of MO is nice and green but moreso in a lusher North Texas/Rolling Hills sort of way.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:08 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
I'd say moreso due to the fact that summer temperatures aren't as extreme along with more rainfall. Southeast of that area you run into denser forested terrain.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:45 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
I hate to tell you but it will be this way for the next year, you (Houston) might not get below freezing this winter as the patterns are not going to allow it..
Actually, the La Nina weather pattern does allow it to get below freezing there. There were brutal cold waves in all of Texas last winter and the La Nina was strong. It is predicted to be present again this winter.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
I did not in any form or fashion say it was normal>>>>>>>>>You are the one that is being childish, I did not start this thread, read the first post. I am not being negative, it is only the truth, take it the way you want to. If you really want to know, it is all the hot air you Texans blow to make people think it is the cats meow place to live. Plus, I am in the General US thread, not the Texas thread, and when is there a rule to where one can post?????
How about if we get back to the original thought of the thread. I want to move out of the state because of the weather. I don't hate the state by any means. But I want to move to a location that is more to my liking regarding climate.

Last edited by Weatherguy; 09-18-2011 at 08:20 PM..

Old 09-18-2011, 08:02 PM

Thanks to most for constructive comments. I finally got through all of them. Some were pretty wacky, but in a thread this long, there will always be a few of those. I'm glad to see some suggestions, and also what some responders said about not letting a drought be the determining factor in whether one might want to leave a place. That's definitely something to think about .

Thanks again!

Last edited by Weatherguy; 09-18-2011 at 08:17 PM..

Old 09-18-2011, 08:08 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
How about if we get back to the original thought of the thread. I want out of the state because of the weather. I don't hate the state by any means. But I want to move to a location that is more to my liking regarding climate.
I might have missed where you stated this, but what are some of the specifics you're looking for?

If you're wanting to be someplace with the somewhat progressive vibe of Austin, then look no further than North Carolina. Either the more artsy, mountainous Asheville, or the more education-centered Research Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) should do. NC has the humidity, but their summers are milder, and winters are colder as well.

Last edited by Nairobi; 09-18-2011 at 09:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.