Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 09:24 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,502,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Certainly not Minneapolis. People here are obsessed with family and children. Anywhere in the Midwest, except Chicago, is probably out.
Also will rule out the South as well for similar reasons. Altough in both regions there are likely some but is not common for cultural reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 09:53 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,338,722 times
Pittsburgh is a big no...I'd say NYC/Atlanta/LA/Vegas/Seattle/DC/Miami/Boston/San Francisco/Chicago in no particular order, and MAYBE Dallas/San Diego/Austin/Houston/Philly. Basically, I would avoid the mid-west, deep south, and most mid-atlantic areas like crazy. Your best bet is for "glitzy" cities, huge metros, or liberal havens along the west coast or north east.

And then to toss out a total wild card...I dunno, but I think it would be possible to meet somebody with an alternative point of view in a smaller "artsy" type of city that's kind of out there..something like maybe Asheville or Santa Fe..or maybe a touristy location like Fort Lauderdale or Key West. You more or less could do it in a smaller populated area as long as there's some sort of uniqueness to the situation that would spark different types of lifestyles other than the typical "American Dream" type of thing that most people grow up with. That and large college towns work while you're younger, but that won't necessarily secure a lasting relationship and is something of a ticking time-bomb that will make it harder to meet people when you get older.

Last edited by TelecasterBlues; 07-31-2010 at 10:08 PM..

Old 08-01-2010, 11:52 AM

26,373 posts, read 46,209,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideMKE View Post
Don't paint us all with the same brush. My aunt worked at Robert W. Baird & Co. here in Milwaukee for the better part of 30 years and never had children. She never had a problem staying socially active as a single middle-aged person.

She's in her 50's now and recently married a guy who has adult-children. The 2 of them live at a country club near Charlotte, NC. She skipped having kids of her own and now she's a grandma to his kids' kids. That's the way to do it IMO. All the fun stuff with none of the dirty diapers and baby puke that comes along with parenting.
The Minneapolis/St. Paul metro is substantially more natalistic compared to the Milwaukee metro. Look at the quickfacts demographics.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:49 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,212,755 times
NYC, LA, DC, Boston, San Fran, not necessarily in that order.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:39 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,319,435 times
It is becoming increasing common for women to not want marriage but have kids. Even wealthy single women seem more and more inclined to have children but not get married or even have a live-in boyfriend. But getting back to the question, large cities on either coast are probably more likely to meet women uninterested in not having children even if married.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:39 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,625,056 times
Keep in mind that statistics don't tell the whole story. That's certainly true of SF, I think. Many people can't afford to have kids in SF, so once they DO have them, they leave.

I wouldn't count on liberal women not wanting to have kids. I'm very liberal, and yeah, we do have a kid. (we don't, however, live in SF anymore, because the cost of living got to be too high.)

I think I'd put DC at the top of the list.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:40 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,851,762 times
Austin

Old 08-09-2010, 12:39 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,319,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Keep in mind that statistics don't tell the whole story. That's certainly true of SF, I think. Many people can't afford to have kids in SF, so once they DO have them, they leave.

I wouldn't count on liberal women not wanting to have kids. I'm very liberal, and yeah, we do have a kid. (we don't, however, live in SF anymore, because the cost of living got to be too high.)

I think I'd put DC at the top of the list.
That's a good point in terms of affordability but some female celebrities [ie. Madonna] seem uninterested in marriage but want to have children [even adopt kids]. And urban women are much more likely to not be married but have children. The professional woman may want to forego children but seek a relationship or marriage but it seems that women have an innate desire to mother, right?

Old 08-09-2010, 01:40 AM

36,628 posts, read 67,146,871 times
I think that most women who believe they don't want children usually change their mind once they meet a man they want to marry and start a family with.

I've lived in San Francisco and Manhattan and I've seen it time and time again, successful women who say they don't want kids and then winding falling for a great guy and that changes everything.

And you know what, that's okay. People change and so does their perspective on life.

Straight people are lucky that they can just have kids if they want to. Im gay and for me to have biological kids, its still possible, but much more complicated. Now that Im 35, Ive found myself thinking about it more and more. If I had my way, Id have 5 kids. I think that would be nice. Anyway, sorry for rambling.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:11 PM

42 posts, read 128,079 times
Without question hands down it's Las Vegas. The women in Las Vegas are not family oriented. Las Vegas itself isn't so much family in comparison to other cities. The women I've met in Las Vegas just don't hae the same goals in raising a family as the rest of the country. But they're not well educated. You'll find those that aren't looking to have children in Washington DC. San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, New York City amongst others if you look in the young urban professional type city neighborhoods. Those pockes have career oriented women that aren't about having children. But be warned. Women who are career or party types also won't be the most devoted and loyal to you as their boyfriend, fience, or husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.