Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 08:06 AM

37 posts, read 193,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Excellent description Mike. I lived in north Jersey a few years in the early 90s, and I enjoyed it a lot, but agree you don't have the sense of "elbow room" that you do in many western states. I drove the exact road you described from Bisbee to Lordsburg last November, on the east side of the Chiracahua Mtns. There's one tiny town along the way near the AZ-NM border. I only saw a couple of cars, not counting several border patrol trucks. They had stopped at a place where a few immigrants had died in an attempt to walk north following the old RR line that parallels the road. That's how remote it is around there. It's a little too remote for my taste, almost instills a fear inside.

Have you noticed the large increase in visitors from Europe visiting the western US in recent years? The most common language in most national parks in the west seems to be German. The weak dollar right now makes it a bargain to visit here for them, and the reason they like visiting the western states is to experience the vast open lands, the "big sky", the vast emptiness. Nowhere in central Europe can you get that feel, you are never more than a few kilometers to the next village or town or road. It's the same story for folks living along the I-95 northeast corridor, the I-85 southeast corridor or the upper midwest corridor, or most anywhere else near the mega metro areas in the US.

recycled i se that u live in orange county CA now. how does this county differ from Berge county NJ? are they similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 08:03 PM

5,763 posts, read 11,370,882 times
Hey NJ, Bergen County NJ and Orange County CA have things in common and things that are polar opposites.
Both have a lot of high income residents, and real estate prices are higher than all but a small number of other counties in the US.
Orange County has 3.5 million residents, far more than Bergen, the OC has almost the same amount of people as Bergen, Passaic, Essex, Union and Hudson counties combined.
Bergen and OC have a certain attitude about the place, material oriented, status oriented.
Bergen has a lot of smaller cities right next to each other that make up the county. So does the OC, a collection of 30+ cities that vary from 20K to 350K population. The towns in both places are pretty dense populated, but about one third of the OC is rugged mountain wilderness areas that are amazing to find right next to a large metro area. Bergen has no such large unpopulated or undeveloped public land areas.
Bergen is close to NYC, a much better big city than LA which is disappointing to me in comparison.
The OC has a beautiful ocean coastline, almost perfect year round weather, On the other hand, the hills are drab and brown most of the time, there are no leaf colors on the trees in the fall and it can actually get monotonous. I can't remember when we had a real strong rainstorm, maybe 9 months ago? Pros and cons to both places, hard to say one place is absolutely better than the other.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:18 PM

37 posts, read 193,104 times
ohh thanks for the info how about food? im sure u miss the pizza bagels etc from NJ? are the people there stuck up or like fast paced? im asking because i have never been by the west coast

Old 10-05-2007, 11:30 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
That yellow shaded county in New York is Hamilton County. It is located in the Adriondack Mountains and only has 3 people per square mile. Most people forget that upstate New York is very rural compared with the NYC metro.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:20 PM

884 posts, read 1,034,162 times
WOW, that map was just riveting. It totally had me on the edge of my seat. Talk about white knuckle web surfing.....wheeeeew!!! I need a smoke.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:37 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
WOW, that map was just riveting. It totally had me on the edge of my seat. Talk about white knuckle web surfing.....wheeeeew!!! I need a smoke.
Same here. I had a great time studying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.