Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state best represents the "Deep North?"
Connecticut 7 6.31%
Maine 35 31.53%
Massachusetts 24 21.62%
New Hampshire 6 5.41%
New Jersey 3 2.70%
New York 11 9.91%
Pennsylvania 4 3.60%
Rhode Island 1 0.90%
Vermont 20 18.02%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 11:55 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Why wouldn't Maine be a logical choice? I voted Maine and I'm from Philadelphia. Maine is 98 percent white and epitomizes all of that New England pilgrim stuff in many of our minds. It's the "Deep North" in my book.
That's fine. At least you have a more logical reason to choose Maine than others in this thread who simply chose it because it's the northernmost state in this region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 12:13 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
New Jersey and Connecticut are NOT "deep North" , period.
Care to elaborate?

Old 09-20-2011, 12:52 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Care to elaborate?
I'm not choosing CT and NJ ( esp NJ), with their moderate winters and near-coastal locations, as representative of a "deep Northern" mindset..

If the Deep South represents Alabama, Mississippi, parts of LA, ARK, with strong southern culture and exceptionally warm temperatures, and with an interior setting, then I'm going to choose a state like Vermont or Wisconsin to represent the Deep North; New Jersey is borderline North and CT isn't a whole lot more..

Old 09-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Some posts above were deleted for getting personal. Consider this a warning to discuss the topic and NOT each other or the thread will be closed.

Helpful Hint: If your post contains the word "you," it's probably getting personal.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:11 PM

941 posts, read 1,803,767 times
Default Define "deep"

The question is somewhat ambiguous since I think people are responding to "MOST" north geographically..
but if the north has a flavor..and attitude, a definable behavior that spreads out from an epicenter.. It likely is Boston, MA and not Maine-->> ya get get thee-a from hee-ya

Old 09-20-2011, 03:20 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
That's fine. At least you have a more logical reason to choose Maine than others in this thread who simply chose it because it's the northernmost state in this region.
That's not why I chose it. I chose it because of what he said. Culturally, somewhat opposite of the south.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:23 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That's not why I chose it. I chose it because of what he said. Culturally, somewhat opposite of the south.
That's what many are trying to point out, rural places are not all linked monoculturally. Maine and Mississippi are world's apart. Instead for the sake of argument this thread has become like a dog chasing its own tail.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:59 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Default Live Free or Die

Quote:
Thats ok, there is some truth to what you are saying. All the Northern states have cultural differences with the South and probably all have some cultural similarities. So its not so much that Maine is a bad choice, its that there are better choices on this poll like New Jersey, Connecticut and Massachusetts and Vermont.

The one state I cannot figure out (for purposes of this thread) is New Hampshire.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:31 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Thats ok, there is some truth to what you are saying. All the Northern states have cultural differences with the South and probably all have some cultural similarities. So its not so much that Maine is a bad choice, its that there are better choices on this poll like New Jersey, Connecticut and Massachusetts and Vermont.

The one state I cannot figure out (for purposes of this thread) is New Hampshire.
States like New Jersey and Connecticut aren't the norm for northern states. So, as I see it, they do not represent the "Deep North" correctly as well as being opposite of the southern states.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:07 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
States like New Jersey and Connecticut aren't the norm for northern states. So, as I see it, they do not represent the "Deep North" correctly as well as being opposite of the southern states.
The question is not what you think is the norm for the Northern states. The question (well the OP's second question) is what state is the MOST opposite of the Deep South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.