Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state best represents the "Deep North?"
Connecticut 7 6.31%
Maine 35 31.53%
Massachusetts 24 21.62%
New Hampshire 6 5.41%
New Jersey 3 2.70%
New York 11 9.91%
Pennsylvania 4 3.60%
Rhode Island 1 0.90%
Vermont 20 18.02%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 12:23 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,942,476 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting concept. Clearly we know that Mississippi (or Louisiana) is the state that probably best represents the Deep South. But which state would be the most representative of the "Deep North" in your opinion, and why? The one state that is the most opposite of the Deep South with regard to all aspects of life. I'm referring specifically to the Northeast states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 12:48 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
This is an interesting concept. Clearly we know that Mississippi (or Louisiana) is the state that probably best represents the Deep South. But which state would be the most representative of the "Deep North" in your opinion, and why? The one state that is the most opposite of the Deep South with regard to all aspects of life. I'm referring specifically to the Northeast states.
"Deep North", I think, would imply a state that is on the northern rim next to Canada, thus states like VT, NH, ME, MI, WI or MN would qualify; NY might, but it extends downward to the Mid-Atlantic , so perhaps not...

Old 09-16-2011, 01:02 PM

399 posts, read 820,256 times
I would also put MN, WI, MI and the Dakotas as Deep North

Old 09-16-2011, 01:49 PM

10,748 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Up in the Alagash and timberlands of Aroostook County at the crown of Maine. Very sparsely populated and about as deep north as it gets down east. There has been a heated debate up there between loggers and environmentalists regarding aquisition of land for a new National Park. Baxter State Park, Mt. Katahdin, and Moosehead Lake are very beautiful in deep remote wilderness.

http://maineinsights.com/perma/maine...-national-park

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 09-16-2011 at 02:01 PM..

Old 09-16-2011, 02:30 PM

Why the heck are people voting for Maine? I didn't ask for which state is the northernmost state. By that logic, Florida would be considered the most deep south state. I am asking for which state is the most northern cultured and characteristically northern.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Why the heck are people voting for Maine? I didn't ask for which state is the northernmost state. By that logic, Florida would be considered the most deep south state. I am asking for which state is the most northern cultured and characteristically northern.
Somehow I don't see a contradiction here. What exactly is not northern about Maine? Especially when describing "Deep North", woods, lakes, pine trees, cold weather, lots of snow, moose, rocky shores, all synonymous with deep north, unless you have a different definition. Even the accent up there is distinctively Northern.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 09-16-2011 at 03:02 PM..

Old 09-16-2011, 02:45 PM

27,556 posts, read 28,647,655 times
The northeast is different from the south, in that there isn't a state that is "deep" north in the way that the deep south states are most characteristically southern states (which is what people mean by deep south). I'd say that all the states in your list are equally northern. If you included Maryland, then it would be less northern than all of the other states because it has southern influences.

I think the closest answer to what you're asking is New York City. It is by far the most urban, densely populated and fast-paced city in the northeast. So, it is in essence the most "deep north" place in the northeast. But I guess some people are interpreting the deep north to be the upper north, which is understandable also.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 09-16-2011 at 03:01 PM..

Old 09-16-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Somehow I don't see a contradiction here. What exactly is not Northern about Maine? Especially when describing "Deep North"
Because it doesn't really have many characteristics of the typical North. I mean, it's very rural, lacks diversity and it's somewhat conservative.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:33 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Quote:
Just a touch confused: Didn't you design the poll and include Maine? Don't complain if some folks picked it

The Deep South to me is some hardscabble town in rural Louisiana or Mississippi. The opposite of that is some flinty Yankee outpost in the rural north.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 09-16-2011 at 03:48 PM..

Old 09-16-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Because it doesn't really have many characteristics of the typical North. I mean, it's very rural, lacks diversity and it's somewhat conservative.
You stated Deep North so some of us have different translations to that, it could even mean Canada or Alaska, Deep North could very well translate to rural north like Maine or Vermont. Perhaps you might have been more specific in your original post. North I supopose can be more loosely defined than the South, but how its defined I suppose we can agree to disagree, in spite of others polling deep north trending rural north with those states are included on your poll. Rural North and Rural South are also very different and don't always trend to conservative, Vermont being a prime example.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 09-16-2011 at 04:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.