Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2017, 02:46 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Portland is the first city I think of when mibrobrews pop up. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the city I associate it the most with.
Which makes sense because at over 75 Breweries, they not only in the US breweries in the USA, but allegedly in the world as well.

And it isn't just volume, Widmer Brothers, for example was one of the first in the American craft brew movement, before they even called it craft beer.

Sure, lots of places have great beer now, but Portland was the first to have it in any great volume and still holds the title over NY and SF which is pretty impressive.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:05 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Which makes sense because at over 75 Breweries, they not only in the US breweries in the USA, but allegedly in the world as well.

And it isn't just volume, Widmer Brothers, for example was one of the first in the American craft brew movement, before they even called it craft beer.

Sure, lots of places have great beer now, but Portland was the first to have it in any great volume and still holds the title over NY and SF which is pretty impressive.
It just strikes me as that kind of city. Maybe it's the weather, the politics, the anti-corporate jib. I like it.

NYC and SF are famous for their own things. Portland bats above its weight imo.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:06 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think of Portland and Asheville myself.
Asheville would certainly come to mind. Denver does too and Seattle, but maybe because I associate Seattle with Portland.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:12 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It's pretty extreme though, they still see Columbus as a cow town when they are absolutely peers in basically every statistic. It's one thing to think you're in the Minneapolis/St Louis/Seattle tier when you're in the Milwaukee/Portland/Cincinnati tier, but they think their peers are Boston, Atlanta, Detroit, etc they're perception of Cleveland (particularly their boosters) is much further from reality than most other cities.
I'm honestly glad to see that somebody outside of Pittsburgh, Columbus and Cincinnati has picked up on the undercurrent of cultural arrogance in Cleveland. No, not every Clevelander is guilty of it, but there certainly is a critical mass of Clevelanders who deride Pittsburgh and Cincinnati as overgrown hick towns and Columbus as a fourth-tier metropolitan area, implying in the process that Cleveland is a cosmopolis by comparison. If you want to observe this phenomenon at its most extreme, just spend some time on a Cleveland Browns internet forum. Many of the insults go well beyond the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Cincinnati Bengals, and descend into blatant city- and culture-bashing.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:15 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post

San Diego has over 125 breweries so from what I infer that incomplete sentence to declare, it is not correct. That title is more in contention than you think.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:17 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,307 times
The short answer is all metropolises.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:52 PM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
The short answer is all metropolises.
Not all, cities in the shadow of larger ones tend to have a checked ego, Providence or Hartford people tend to undersell thier city and not put it in the same weight class as Louisville, Buffalo or Richmond where they belong.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:27 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,040,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
I'm honestly glad to see that somebody outside of Pittsburgh, Columbus and Cincinnati has picked up on the undercurrent of cultural arrogance in Cleveland. No, not every Clevelander is guilty of it, but there certainly is a critical mass of Clevelanders who deride Pittsburgh and Cincinnati as overgrown hick towns and Columbus as a fourth-tier metropolitan area, implying in the process that Cleveland is a cosmopolis by comparison. If you want to observe this phenomenon at its most extreme, just spend some time on a Cleveland Browns internet forum. Many of the insults go well beyond the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Cincinnati Bengals, and descend into blatant city- and culture-bashing.
You mean to say there are over-zealous, home-city promoters on city-data? I don't believe it.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:10 AM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
You mean to say there are over-zealous, home-city promoters on city-data? I don't believe it.
Most cities kind of up by 1/2 a tier or so. So Cincy boosters would think their citt is equal to St Louis (40% larger).
Cleveland (2M) seems to put itself of the same level with #5-10 cities, something even larger cities like St Louis or the Twin Cities don't do. While at the same time looking down at peer cities like Columbus, Charlotte, Kansas City etc. Detroiters for example realize they are no longer in a city comparable to Chicago, Clevelanders don't realize they are not on the level of Boston or Atlanta.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:35 AM

138 posts, read 151,042 times
In terms of an overinflated perception of importance, I would say Austin. It's a nice and clean city, but people in Austin tend to think it is the end all be all. The natives are fine, it's the transplants who have an ego. They think Austin is some kind of magical oasis and feel sorry for anybody not fortunate enough to move there. It's not even a "Texas pride" thing... I can respect that. It's just a bunch of hipsters who feel as though they are part of something special by being in Austin. When I would ask a transplant what they loved about Austin, I would usually hear "food, music, and nightlife." Yeah, no other city has food, alcohol, and music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.