Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 04:41 PM

13,941 posts, read 14,818,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The city too big for its britches by a longshot, I think, is Boston. God do I get tired of hearing how smart they are because of all their colleges. And Harvard isn't even IN Boston, but in Cambridge, across the river. And after being a pro sports doormat for years, they take a few champopnships and try to Lord it over everyone. All those smart people never told them, I guess, about reverting to the mean. In time, Boston teams will be doormats once again.

Let's face it. Anyplace that nicknames itself "The Hub" -- as if the rest of the world spins around it -- is showing too much ego to make up for the fact that it has too little.
yes Boston has nothing
it doesn't have the best heathcare system in the world
it doesn't have the Best Colleges in the world
It doesn't have the highest density of colleges in the world
it isn't the most important Tech Hub in the East
it isn't the Hub for 5 1/2 states
Boston ist the 3rd largest Finantal center in the country
Boston is just a rinky dink town quite obviously.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:49 PM

22,139 posts, read 29,449,828 times
No, it doesn't have the best healthcare system in the world, what a stupid thing to say.

No, it doesn't have the best colleges in the world. Harvard is number 2.

I agree with the other points though.

I'm quite knowledgeable on the US. Boston isn't a city that thinks it's bigger than it is. It's a very affluent city that cities like Detroit and Miami wish they were but aren't. I'd even say Los Angeles, which, let's face it, is big but still pretty awful. It's also, in my opinion, one of the few attractive cities in the US - ie it doesn't have bland ugly concrete buildings but more historic architecture.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here;20992117[B
]No, it doesn't have the best healthcare system in the world, what a stupid thing to say.[/b]

No, it doesn't have the best colleges in the world. Harvard is number 2.

I agree with the other points though.

I'm quite knowledgeable on the US. Boston isn't a city that thinks it's bigger than it is. It's a very affluent city that cities like Detroit and Miami wish they were but aren't. I'd even say Los Angeles, which, let's face it, is big but still pretty awful.
it has 3 of the top 10 Hospitals in the nation, so yes it is the Best
Harvard and Cambridge (UK) are in 1/2 swiching every year.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:52 PM

769 posts, read 1,002,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
San Francisco. In spite of all evidence to the contrary, there is this persistent belief that it is the "New York City of the west coast." I'm talking about people believing this IRL.

How absurd.
THANK YOU! Couldn't agree more. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE San Francisco, it's truly a fantastic city, but it is not NYC, LA, or even Chicago imho.... sorry

Old 09-22-2011, 04:53 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,125,789 times
San Francisco, easily and handily. The way boosters talk as if SF manhattan is the most entertaining. You can always tell that they have not spent time in Manhattan when they try to compare themselves to them.

They always love to point out how they are the "second most dense Major city", because obviously, they are not the second most dense city. Nor do they have the second largest contigous density.

This post from the former San Diego moderator kind of hit it on the head:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
SF, biggest inferiority complex of all. Not as big or important as LA (or even San Jose), not as cool or interesting as NY.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
San Francisco, easily and handily. The way boosters talk as if SF manhattan is the most entertaining. You can always tell that they have not spent time in Manhattan when they try to compare themselves to them.

They always love to point out how they are the "second most dense Major city", because obviously, they are not the second most dense city. Nor do they have the second largest contigous density.

This post from the former San Diego moderator kind of hit it on the head:
and they say "its the Bay area, all Other Csa's are stupid to make a city seem important, but ours is real"

Old 09-22-2011, 05:21 PM

635 posts, read 1,502,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I'll second that!

And I'd like to add Atlanta to the list. Between Coca-Cola and Ted Turner, Atlanta tends to overreach itself (the sterling hosting job they did during the Olympic Games rather proves the point). And despite its stubborn insistence on wanting to be considered a major league city, attendance in the various pro sports indicates that Atlantans just don't care.
Wow, someone brought it up faster than I thought, but of course why wouldn't anyone try to crap on one of the 10 largest cities in the u.s., I mean someone has to right?

Old 09-22-2011, 05:27 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,690,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
yes Boston has nothing
it doesn't have the best heathcare system in the world
it doesn't have the Best Colleges in the world
It doesn't have the highest density of colleges in the world
it isn't the most important Tech Hub in the East
it isn't the Hub for 5 1/2 states
Boston ist the 3rd largest Finantal center in the country
Boston is just a rinky dink town quite obviously.
This is just the type of response that proves my point. Inever said Boston doesn't have good things, though there are great hospitals colleges and tech outfits elsewhere---arguably some better than anything Boston offers. But instead of being proud of what is good you go on the defensive. Just proves my point.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:31 PM

4,356 posts, read 4,519,185 times
From reading these threads, I have to say Charlotte.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:12 PM

37,792 posts, read 41,479,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
From reading these threads, I have to say Charlotte.
Key phrase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.