U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 11:48 PM

7,652 posts, read 16,769,035 times

Advertisements

In most of Minnesota, we root for the Vikings.

In most of Wisconsin, they root for the packers.

None of the Dakotas, nor Nebraska, Wyoming, Montana, or Idaho have pro sports teams. What teams are most often supported in those regions, or in others with no pro sports?

I've heard a lot of the area is Denver team territory.

How about Hawaii?

Any input on this fascinating subject?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 12:00 AM

458 posts, read 2,665,587 times
This is pretty interesting. A lot of people in the Louisville area where I am from are fans of various teams in this region and I guess that is because there are quite a few teams within 100-300 miles from here. I know a lot of Cubs fans, Reds Fans, and St. Louis Cardinals fans. There are some Bengals fans and with the recent success of the Colts there seem to be a lot of bandwagoners. I don't remember too many people following the Colts until 01 or so when they first started getting good. I started following them in '98 when they first drafted Peyton Manning. He is my favorite QB and has been since he was at Tennessee. I don't consider myself a Colts fan though. As far as NBA goes, it's actually not all that big around here dispite being a good basketball area (more college basketball area I guess) but most people are either Pacers fans or just bandwagoners. There are a lot of bandwagoners around here too and I guess this is because there is no real hometown teams to like.

I personally don't have any real die-hard favorite teams or anything, but I am just a huge sports fan in general. I am starting to somewhat become a true fan of all of the Dallas teams as I am thinking about moving there.

People in Alabama, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina likely follow Atlanta teams or Florida teams. The Braves have a huge following in the south. As you said Montana, Idaho, Wyoming especially since Cheyenne is close, etc. are probably Denver fans. The Dakotas are probably Minnesota or Denver fans. The northeast is mostly Boston fans. NH, VT, ME, RI, etc. are mostly Boston fans. CT is probably mostly NY fans with the northern areas probably more Boston. Oklahoma is probably Dallas fans. Kansas and Nebraska is probably Kansas City fans. Iowa probably Chicago fans. New Mexico probably Phoenix fans. I don't have any personal experience with these places but I'm just guessing that these are the teams they would consider their "hometown" teams. It seems like a lot of young people these days are bandwagoners and like whatever team their favorite players are on rather than being a die hard of certain teams. I never really grew up a die-hard of any teams and have always as I said just been a big sports fan in general.

I don't like having to go 100 miles to Indianapolis or Cincinnati to see games and want to move somewhere that has teams in the city. At least we do have teams relatively close. It has to suck if you are a huge sports fan from Montana or something. No teams within probably almost 1000 miles. Ouch.

Pretty interesting to talk about.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:07 AM

6,862 posts, read 17,714,043 times
An interesting project has been done on this subject. CommonCensus Sports Map Project

I grew up in sportsless Virginia. Most people there were Washington DC-area fans. Washington Redskins and Baltimore Orioles were the big favorites when I was growing up, but it would be interesting to see now if the Washington Nationals are becoming more popular than the O's in VA.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:49 AM

28 posts, read 105,457 times
In Omaha most people root for the Kansas City Cheifs or Denver Broncos

Old 08-20-2007, 08:26 AM

20,005 posts, read 73,114,763 times
Up here were spoiled with pro sports of every kind. With 2 MLB teams in town you either follow the Cubs or the Sux, er, Sox. Youll also find a slew of Cards fans. Southern IL folks generally follow the Cards, but youll still see Cubs and Sox fans around.

Hockey is a mixture of Detroilet Dead Things (Red Wings) fans and Blackhawk fans. There are some Blues fans and Wild fans around, but theyre hardly seen. Most southern IL people are Blues fans.

Football? Almost strictly Bears. Theres a huge anti-Packers contigent present in most areas of No. IL. You will see lots of Pack fans too, but Bears fans are obviously alot more prevalent. Southern IL tends to follow the Rams, sadly.

Basketball belongs to the Bulls, I dont ever see people wearing any other teams around here. Im not sure who southern IL dwellers follow...

Old 08-20-2007, 08:36 AM

304 posts, read 1,355,405 times
For the NFL in Boise, a lot of people rooted for Denver, and there seemed to be quite a few transplanted Packers fans. I saw a handful of Seattle Seahawks fans. A lot of the guys I worked with had a soft spot in their hearts for the Steelers....they were usually in the age range that they would have been boys aged 6-11 when the Steelers were doing so well in the 70s.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:37 PM

3,198 posts, read 11,975,132 times
In New Mexico (namely Albuquerque), most fans are broken down this way:

NFL: #1 Dallas, #2 Denver

NBA: Popular are Sacramento (Maloofs have ABQ ties), Phoenix, and L.A.; Denver and Dallas probably in a second tier

MLB: Rockies and Diamondbacks are popular, as are the Cubs

Old 08-20-2007, 04:35 PM

673 posts, read 3,021,608 times
In Hampton Roads area of VA, there are alot of Pittsburgh and Dallas fans. Also, the Redskins seem to be the "home" team for the NFL. I personally am a Packers fan and have met several but they've all been transplants like me. This area has so much military that people come from all over the country and usually root for their home team.

As far as baseball and hockey, people usually root for Washington DC teams.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:33 PM

2,882 posts, read 6,522,475 times
In the Carolina's for football, we follow the Panthers for the most part. But with alot of transplants here there are plenty other teams being rooted for regularly. Baseball would be the Braves by far. Basketball-most people don't care that much.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:51 PM

3,742 posts, read 7,612,108 times
I think the Cardinals have a slew of fans from all the states bordering Missouri. (Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky)....the Braves I can state for certain are heavily favored throughout the South. I've found Braves fans in Virginia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia (duh), Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, and Louisiana. It puzzles me why Texas, Georgia and Florida are the only Southern states with baseball teams after all these years....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.