Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2010, 10:12 PM

871 posts, read 2,247,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Unless they're Native American and can speak a Native American language they shouldn’t be marking their ethnicity “American” I don’t care how many generations they live here that don’t mean they speak Cherokee or etc.
you act as if the cherokee sprouted up out of the ground in what is now the US.

when it comes to race, yes, they should mark white (european descent).

but when it comes to ethnicity, they are ethnically american
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 11:08 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
you act as if the cherokee sprouted up out of the ground in what is now the US.

when it comes to race, yes, they should mark white (european descent).

but when it comes to ethnicity, they are ethnically american
No I act like the Cherokees and etc are native to this land, how is someone going to claim an ethnicity over someone else ethnicity. All they know is western culture, they don't even know about Native American culture most don't even care about Native American culture. There Nationality is American there ethnicity is not.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
No I act like the Cherokees and etc are native to this land, how is someone going to claim an ethnicity over someone else ethnicity. All they know is western culture, they don't even know about Native American culture most don't even care about Native American culture. There Nationality is American there ethnicity is not.
native to this land? in what sense? in the sense that they migrated here first, but they did not sprout up out of the ground.

but you really dont seem to get it. first off, "american" is not a native american word. "american" culture is the culture that originated in the 13 colonies.

im starting to doubt if you even know what ethnicity is

you refuse to acknowledge that america has developed its own culture and ethnic groups. why this is i do not know

Old 04-17-2010, 02:25 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
native to this land? in what sense? in the sense that they migrated here first, but they did not sprout up out of the ground.

but you really dont seem to get it. first off, "american" is not a native american word. "american" culture is the culture that originated in the 13 colonies.

im starting to doubt if you even know what ethnicity is

you refuse to acknowledge that america has developed its own culture and ethnic groups. why this is i do not know
In a, they migrated here first and have been here thousands of years, indigenous people sense.

Dosen't matter the culture on the colonies aren't indigenous, Colonialist call this land America if someone was to call their ethnicity "American" they should reflect the native culture of this land. The problem is the tendency to ignore, lower the native culture, while extending there own culture, and bringing the focus back to them. Case in point right now

Yes I know what ethnicity means I said American is there nationality not there ethnicity.

I acknowledge that America developed its own culture before the colonialist came who reflected western culture in which generations later now reflecting them and their own inner cultural diversity of western culture.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
In a, they migrated here first and have been here thousands of years, indigenous people sense.

Dosen't matter the culture on the colonies aren't indigenous, Colonialist call this land America if someone was to call their ethnicity "American" they should reflect the native culture of this land. The problem is the tendency to ignore, lower the native culture, while extending there own culture, and bringing the focus back to them. Case in point right now
why? first off, maerican culture is influenced by native culture. where do you think corn and tobacco harvesting come from? its also influenced by african culture.

Quote:
Yes I know what ethnicity means I said American is there nationality not there ethnicity.

I acknowledge that America developed its own culture before the colonialist came who reflected western culture in which generations later now reflecting them and their own inner cultural diversity of western culture.
you just conflicted yourself. you say you acknowledge that these americans have developed their own culture, yet you refuse to acknowledge them as an ethnicity. sounds like you have a bias.

you main agrument here is that native american culture is not acknowledged well enough. but thats a separate issue. all we're talking about here is this specific ethnic group.

white southerners are an ethnic group part of the larger ethnic group "american". perhaps "white american", or "white southerner" would be more accurate.

is your issue with the fact that they call their ethnicity on the census "american", or the fact that they are an ethnic group at all?

Old 04-17-2010, 07:15 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
There is "American" in the nationality sense, as in that is where a person is a citizen of. Nationality has nothing to do with race, ancestry, or ethnicity.

I think there should be "American" in the ethnic sense as well, and I'd even go as far to say that we should abandon previous ethnic/ancestral markers such as "German", "Italian", "Irish", et al, if one is a native-born American and has no linguistic or strong cultural ties to another country.

For example, I'm an American of German descent (among others), but I have no ties to German culture....at all. So, I'd find it silly to mark German as my ancestry.

If we must classify, can't we just classify native-born Americans by race and/or language, and leave the "German" column for people actually from Germany?

Old 04-17-2010, 09:37 AM

14,481 posts, read 11,278,588 times
I think that it is part redneck culture that makes them declare American as their ancestry. These census questions are specifically asking what their descendency is, not what nationality they are. I don't see why these people cannot show some courtesy and give a straight answer. I am multiple generation American as well but if someone asked what my ancestry was I would probably say Irish because I believe it to be my slightly dominant one.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:41 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
I put American in addition to White... because yeah we may all have different ancestries, different cultural backgrounds, different religious beliefs... but in the end we're in this together and we shouldn't divide ourselves.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I think that it is part redneck culture that makes them declare American as their ancestry. These census questions are specifically asking what their descendency is, not what nationality they are. I don't see why these people cannot show some courtesy and give a straight answer. I am multiple generation American as well but if someone asked what my ancestry was I would probably say Irish because I believe it to be my slightly dominant one.
no, its asking for their ethnicity

and save that "redneck" bs

Old 04-17-2010, 11:28 AM

14,481 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
no, its asking for their ethnicity

and save that "redneck" bs
You need to look at the link again Jimmy. It says ancestry!

And I meant redneck as more of an attitude than a description of who they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.