Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:11 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,822,034 times

Advertisements

I think I'm German, Irish/Scottish, Native American, maybe English.

So I guess I'm American, because other than that I'm just Caucasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 06:40 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,307 times
I put American too.

My grandparents are from Italy. I'm not. It just seems unrealistic to try and claim to be somehow European when I'm not. My distant relatives were; I have no connection to Europe.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:57 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,758,537 times
^ Than there would be no point of the survey than! because almost everyone would just put American and the point of the survey is to find out where in different parts of the countries where the people's ancestrys are, not to say where you are originally from

Old 01-18-2008, 08:41 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,497 times
Every time I ask someone who is white...what country of ancestry do they come from... I get 'well.... I'm German... and Irish...and French...and Czech...and Italian...and just a tiny bit Spanish...with some Cherokee... and a little Swedish...with just a tiny bit of British'.... They're so mixed up they can't check any one particular box... LOL, just what I think...
I'm mixed... I mean... REAL mixed, but if you were to put it simply... I am Asian (more specifically Chinese) and Hispanic (mexican)...
but if you want to break it all down:
1/16th Indonesian...possibly Filipino, but my grandma said she thinks her father was indonesian
15/16 Chinese
1/8 Spaniard
1/8 Native American from Mexico (what? I'm not sure...maybe Tarahumara... I truly don't know)
>1/4 mexican
unknown percentage of French...
and uh.. I think I have some black in me cause I have sickle cell trait... heh... so I guess I would check the box that says 'Chinese' LOL... then again... most Mexicans are a mix of Native American and Europeans...

Last edited by CMDallas; 01-18-2008 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: Calculating my percentages of my ancestry

Old 01-18-2008, 08:48 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,822,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
^ Than there would be no point of the survey than! because almost everyone would just put American and the point of the survey is to find out where in different parts of the countries where the people's ancestrys are, not to say where you are originally from
Then I'd have to check Irish (or Scottish, not sure which), German, Native American, and maybe English.

I understand you're point, but it's hard when I don't really know what I am other than white.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:01 PM

369 posts, read 1,638,669 times
Though I don't put "American" I do fit in to choice #1, i.e. none of my ancestors came here recently enough to go through Ellis Island. I'd have to say French, but I do have a number of English ancestors.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:04 AM

382 posts, read 1,068,762 times
Default I'm a "Real, Live, DEEEP Southerner.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I'd be interested to know, especially if real, live Southerners here have anything to say.
Well, being from the deep south (Mississippi), here is my answer to my heritage.

Mom - English descent; American for many, many, many generations

Dad - Irish/Scot/Cherokee; American for many, many, many generations
(My granddad was Irish/Scot, My grandmother was 3/4 Cherokee)

As with most citizens of the USA, we all are a smorgasbord of original nationalities so the correct answer, IMHO, would be American first, then the most predominant factor next, such as African-American, White, Hispanic, Native American, etc., unless, of course, you are referring to a recent, within a generation or two, immigrant.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:02 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,863,933 times
I never understood how people don't know where there ancestors come from. How does this happen. Wouldn't each generation pass this information on? How does it get lost?

Old 01-19-2008, 01:06 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
re: origin: 1492 is america? how far back does it have to go?

Old 01-19-2008, 01:09 PM

875 posts, read 1,092,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Image:Census-2000-Data-Top-US-Ancestries-by-County.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That excellent map shows that most white Southerners, unlike other Americans, chose "American" as their ancestry when they filled out the 2000 census. Obviously, they were from somewhere else: I'm guessing Scotland is one of the most common countries of origin for those with roots in the South. Did they choose American because...

1) Their family has been here so long...

2) It's more patriotic

or

3) Some other reason?

I'd be interested to know, especially if real, live Southerners here have anything to say.
Probably number 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.