Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 08:58 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Charlotte. I think it will be interesting given the ever-sprawling nature of both Atlanta and Charlotte to see if a new continous string of low-to-medium-density development (similar to the BosWash Corridor) will form in this area. I wonder if I-85 will eventually resemble I-95 in terms of development. I'm thinking in perhaps 50 more years most developable land in and around the following cities will form a new metroplex:

Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, NC
Burlington, NC
Winston-Salem/Greensboro/High Point, NC
Lexington/Salisbury, NC
Kannapolis/Concord, NC
Charlotte, NC
Gastonia, NC
Greenville/Spartanburg, SC
Anderson, SC
Atlanta, GA

There is still much "unconquered territory" left, but Metro Atlanta is now sprawling northeastward all the way nearly to the Gainesville/Commerce/Athens region, leaving not much room between there and Anderson, SC. Charlotte continues to expand southwestward into SC, nearing Spartanburg. It will be interesting to see if these sprawl-loving cities will slow themselves down before this occurs.

I've only heard of half of those cities. It won't resemble BosWash any time soon. Boswash has about 40% of the US population if my memory serves me correctly not to mention has major economic societal and political power house cities. The cities in the south just don't have that. The only other megalopolis even close would be LA and other surrounding cities.

As for another Atlanta, it's doubtful. If there is it will be in the southwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 09:17 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,343,642 times
Santa Fe/Albuquerque. Santa Fe attracting the wealthier, more abstract, retired, and the singles. Albuquerque attracting families and blue collar jobs. Plenty of sunshine, mountains, forests snow in the desert, palm trees. Pretty much a quaint four seasons with just about a mixture of everything. Diversity and different culture and architecture as well. They better start expanding their hospital reach and university reach now. People don't want to be driving a long time to get to either. To get to a children's hospital here around the Tampa Bay area we had to drive all the way to friggin' St Petersburg the other day. In Dayton there is a big children's hospital nearby. Don't take it for granted if you have children.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:34 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,914,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
I've only heard of half of those cities. It won't resemble BosWash any time soon. Boswash has about 40% of the US population if my memory serves me correctly not to mention has major economic societal and political power house cities. The cities in the south just don't have that. The only other megalopolis even close would be LA and other surrounding cities.

As for another Atlanta, it's doubtful. If there is it will be in the southwest.

BosWash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia BosWash "only" has 16% of the population. I do agree with you, it will take a very long time to resemble it but if Northerners continue to flock to the South as well as immigrants....
The only thing is that Southern cities are more spread out and there's no conveniant coastline to follow for the cities to merge into.
Growth in the South is spread to too many cities for a replica of BosWash.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:56 AM

84 posts, read 428,411 times
What cities are attracting people right now because of available jobs, reasonable cost of living, room to grow, and a somewhat established cultural/social scene? You can rule out a lot of the East or West coasts because of high housing costs and limited expansion opportunities.

Maybe San Antonio or Austin TX. An outside chance that a medium-sized Great Lakes or rust belt city that's not tied to the auto industry could start generating a buzz - maybe Milwaukee, Madison, or Columbus.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:02 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
Santa Fe/Albuquerque. Santa Fe attracting the wealthier, more abstract, retired, and the singles. Albuquerque attracting families and blue collar jobs. Plenty of sunshine, mountains, forests snow in the desert, palm trees. Pretty much a quaint four seasons with just about a mixture of everything. Diversity and different culture and architecture as well. They better start expanding their hospital reach and university reach now. People don't want to be driving a long time to get to either. To get to a children's hospital here around the Tampa Bay area we had to drive all the way to friggin' St Petersburg the other day. In Dayton there is a big children's hospital nearby. Don't take it for granted if you have children.
No way Santa Fe and ABQ will ever be on ATLs level, especially Santa Fe. Sunshine, mountains, etc dont make a good city. ATL is eons more advanced than ABQ. And what makes the place perfect for you (ie the desert) is a downright turnoff to others, most would prefer to live somewhere green based on this country's demographics. Like PHX, Vegas, ABQ probably doesnt have the resources to sustain life there with a massive influx of drifters.

If I thought there was one city that could be the next ATL, it would be somewhere like San Jose, or Charlotte.

Last edited by Steve-o; 08-21-2007 at 12:13 PM..

Old 08-21-2007, 12:07 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,531 times
I think the next booming South place will be Austin,Texas.I mean its already booming,but I think it will eventually collide with San Antonios metro,or did that already happen?Anyways I don't think there will be a next Atlanta,just like I don't think there will be a next New York City,or Chicago,or Cleveland,or L.A.There all one of a kinds.Every city is unique in its own way.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:42 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,914 times
Atlanta is definitely a large small town. I interned in the city one summer, and my employer described it as "a large Macon [GA]." Atlanta has SO many obstacles to overcome if it wishes to become a major American city. If you look beyond the shiny glass office buildings, and attractive high-rise residential developments, you will see just how much of a small town Atlanta still is.

Anyway, to answer the question, Charlotte is definitely on track to become the next Atlanta. The city of Charlotte has more people than the city of Atlanta, but there are plans to construct numerous mid and high rise office and residential complexes. Charlotte's metropolitan area is growing quite rapidly as well. Hopefully, Charlotte will not repeat some of Atlanta's horrible mistakes, so it doesn't become a sprawling disaster too.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:54 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,343,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
And what makes the place perfect for you (ie the desert) is a downright turnoff to others, most would prefer to live somewhere green based on this country's demographics.
I'm one of those who prefer very green grass and trees with four seasons. I couldn't see myself living in a desert. It was just a guess. I could see it becoming one of the most unique cities in the world in time. Lots of older folks who don't like cold and don't want to manage a yard would move in.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:38 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
I'm one of those who prefer very green grass and trees with four seasons. I couldn't see myself living in a desert. It was just a guess. I could see it becoming one of the most unique cities in the world in time. Lots of older folks who don't like cold and don't want to manage a yard would move in.
Gotcha. I thought you were from ABQ, my bad. As for ABQ I dont think it will ever be on the level of ATL. It might get close to Phoenix perhaps, but thats probably unlikely. Sure its experiencing growth and all, but with the exception of a few states, most of the nation is experiencing growth in one way or another, so ABQ is not a particularly unique case. Places like PHX and Vegas are growing like weeds, but theyre not becoming world power players, especially Vegas.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:44 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,182 times
Wait...I still don't get what's so amazing about Atlanta!...But I guess if I had to compare a city to Atlanta...or pick a city that was going to be like Atlanta soon it would be Minneapolis. I still don't know if I get this question though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.