Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

LA lifestyle: focus on consumerism, options for entertainment, environmental consultant, diversity

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 10:28 AM

24 posts, read 159,490 times

Advertisements

I have grown increasingly tired of the LA lifestyle. The strong focus on consumerism is insane here and so difficult to escape. I long for a simpler lifestyle where I can bring up my kids with a sense of community. I do love having so many options for entertainment, but hate having to work so much and not having time to enjoy these things. Where can we go that is family oriented and not so materialistic? We need a place where we can both find good jobs. I'm a nurse and hubby works as an environmental consultant. I know I won't have a problem finding a job, but it is a different situation with husband. Also, a place with cultural diversity, or at least acceptance, is necessary since we are both hispanic. We grew up here and are now citizens of this country. Both of our families immigrated here legally hoping to give their families a better life.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 11:27 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
I would suggest Chicago. I assume you do like Los Angeles for its cultural and entertainment amnenities, Chicago will offer you as much of that as you will find outside of the Northast and Calif., Large hispanic communities, great neighborhoods in both City and suburb. I can't tell you much in the way of your husband's job. Hope you find what you are looking for, Good Luck.
--Minnehahapolitan

Old 08-20-2007, 09:38 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
Chicago and NYC sound great for you.

NYC has a large Hispanic population, but unlike Los Angeles, African Americans are the majority of the two. NYC is the most culturally diverse city in the US, world-class food of all kinds, world-class shopping, world-class dining, world-class entertainment, world-class sports teams, history, architecture, liveliness, character, a sense of community, walkable, syscrapers, etc.

Same goes for Chi.

Albuqurque and Santa Fe, from what I've heard, is a great place, also.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:24 AM

832 posts, read 3,853,682 times
Houston is a great option. Hispanic is the largest % of the population (38% Hispanic) Booming economy, and the largest medical complex in the world.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:25 AM

832 posts, read 3,853,682 times
Houston also has very low cost housing, and overall cost of living, tons of public festivals all year, and world class art and entertainment.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:14 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Please move to Montana and bring all your family's recipes with you ! We want more Hispanic/ Mexican restaurants here. We need you !

Old 08-20-2007, 01:21 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,593 times
Ohio Valley is accepting people with common sense, inventors, graduates, family oriented people, people who prefer simpler lifestyles, innovators, Mexicans, other minorities and people who dream for a better way. The door has always been open and the lights have always been left on. Nothing has changed since Ohio has been Ohio in that regard. However do not, I repeat, do not inflate our economy, do not run off locals with your wealth, and do not take advantage of others. Try be to be honest with yourself and encourage right from wrong and self responsibility. Not carefree heathenism. Not materialism. And do not pander to race or sexes. Ohioans do not care for unnatural growth, or social politics, or other revolving door issues. Also please do not pollute our state anymore than it is. Lots of Ohio is already sloppy, but we want to change that without going over board and and creating stumbling blocks. Also do not look down on poor people or be mean to people less fortunate than you. And do not boss Ohioans around and drop your sarcasm if you're a sarcastic person.

In Ohio its ok to frown a lot. We aren't all smiles, but many will beat a smile and go out of their way to make you comfortable and show you their gratitude. It isn't healthy to smile all of the time, especially considering the state of things around you. Culture is ok, but its not that big a deal to Ohioans. We're more about the advancement of mathematics, science, industry, foods, medical care, plants, animals and things like that. Leave the social baggage at the door. Dare to dream, and don't let your will be broken by others.

Ohioans want nothing more than to be energy independent, self sufficient with water, food sources, and energy. Invent revolutionary housing that anyone can buy or build without paying their life way for something so critical yet trivial at the same time. Why you ask? Well to Ohioans if you can solve this problem you can truely and genuinely benefit minorities and every else along with poor regions, states and nations. Instead of telling them what they want to hear, you give them the luxury of making their own way and being independent. You give them a better quality of life, which is more than words will ever do. Forget the pandering. We also don't all group up in one place together. We like to spread out.

My goal and dream in life is to invent a way to build housing that everyone can readily afford and pay off within a couple years at most. That is also self sustainable, off the grid, and completely independent. A home that sustains itself, doesn't require dependency on other businesses or corporate interests, and that functions in a cycle to take care of its owner and itself.

I do not appreciate people that stand in the way of that dream. I do not appreciate people telling me condo's are the answer or this and that. I don't appreciate trendy people or people who need label everything. I don't appreciate people that always cater to societal ladders and niches. I don't appreciate people who look at things through such tunnel vision. I don't appreciate people who encroach on Ohioans dreams with any agenda. I don't appreciate anyone who feels the need to attack any Ohio public institutions or schools because they have faith in something more.

Last edited by the_pines; 08-20-2007 at 02:25 PM..

Old 08-20-2007, 01:52 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,593 times
If you have issues with your own race or things like that, then toughen up. Don't come knocking on Ohio's door unless there is a real problem. Otherwise, we don't care or want to hear it. We don't care what country you're from, or what ethnicity you're. In Ohio, you're from Earth. You're a human, not a certain race. Don't try to dumb it down and bring Ohioans down and crush their will. Ohioans are very ware of Ohio's history and want to preserve that past and build on it. So do not jeopardize its local culture and history. It stays Ohio, no matter where you're from. Want different restaurants or architecture? Sure. We love that stuff as much as anyone. We want to look at nice scenery and stuff too. Want to experience different cultures and things? Go somewhere else. We haven't time to play strut your stuff down the center stage. We don't play games with people that are consumed with the here and now, and every image. Lastly, do not bring false idols, statues of Jesus, Mary, or any other figures in to Ohio. We don't want those idolater's, or want to take part in their plagues. Faith in Jesus and the bible is very good in Ohio, making images of him or other things is not very good in Ohio. Not even pictures, or little ornaments and such. They're graven idol images. It doesn't matter if its your traditional where you're from, Ohio breaks molds and wishes for truth above mans simple reasonings. Mythological gods are unacceptable as well. Don't be erecting statues all over either. Our schools stay based on fundamentals and essentials, any other form of information is propaganda and not acceptable. And do not bring more shame to Ohioans by mixing politics with faith in support of wars or other agenda's.

Thank you, that will be all.

Last edited by the_pines; 08-20-2007 at 02:26 PM..

Old 08-20-2007, 02:02 PM

699 posts, read 2,236,737 times
Since the OP is looking for a place that has a simpler life, with less focus on consumerism, I think the large metropolitan areas are out of the question. With the added dimension of the OP looking for at least cultural acceptance with a decent hispanic population, the most likely areas that probably be best would be in the Sun-belt away from the large cities but reachable for a night out. Places like some areas in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:38 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shecali View Post
I have grown increasingly tired of the LA lifestyle. The strong focus on consumerism is insane here and so difficult to escape. I long for a simpler lifestyle where I can bring up my kids with a sense of community. I do love having so many options for entertainment, but hate having to work so much and not having time to enjoy these things. Where can we go that is family oriented and not so materialistic? We need a place where we can both find good jobs. I'm a nurse and hubby works as an environmental consultant. I know I won't have a problem finding a job, but it is a different situation with husband. Also, a place with cultural diversity, or at least acceptance, is necessary since we are both hispanic. We grew up here and are now citizens of this country. Both of our families immigrated here legally hoping to give their families a better life.

Any suggestions?

Well, if I understand correct your main concerns are "lower cost of living, spending more time w/family, sense of community and good employment prospects?" To be honest, I used to live in LA and I LOVE the city for a number of reasons. To anyone who hasn't lived there it's very different from visiting. LA like any city has its share of problems but it's also very rich in culture, entertainment, good/affordable schools, job opportunities, beaches and of course weather. The issue is NOT cost of living but moreso "real-estate" which is OUTRAGEOUS. Everything else in CA is fine. Traffic and pollution are a problem but given the population size it's to be expected.

I would suggest three cities based on yoour description: Chicago, Austin TX, Houston TX. The weather in TX is VERY HOT/Humid but the cost of living is among the lowest in the nation. Houston and Austin have VERY STRONG economies and are known to be liberal. Austin is completely a liberal city and extremely beautiful. The people/locals have been known to be very friendly despite the horrid politics that blemish Texas. You will need a car as public transportation is poor. Houston is more of a city than Austin, it's world class and very diverse.

Chicago- An excellent city all around. Nov-March snow/cold but really no big deal if you dress properly. VERY STRONG latino presence. Median living costs, meaning cheaper than CA but more expensive than the South. Excellent public transportation, dining, ent, variety. It's everything that LA offers except cheaper and slightly smaller scale.

Seriously, I wouldn't look past these cities. If you're serious about moving where people are friendly, good job prospects, culture and variety you're home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.