Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:06 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times

Advertisements

Well I would
1) Invest in Gasoilne
2) sit back and watch the money roll in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 06:08 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,994 times
One would have to factor in the rising cost of all energy, plus food to obtain an accurate picture of what life will look like in a year from now (August 2023).

According to predictions, we’re conservatively looking at a doubling of the general cost of living over the next twelve months, beginning in mid September, and in 2024 we will see most commodities (food, in particular) priced out of the reach of most people. Got preps?

Blessings!

Old 08-03-2022, 10:37 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I don't buy a lot of actual gasoline, so not a lot of change there, but the price of everything would double or triple, on top of the 30% that groceries have already gone up. The utilities for my house are already up over 20% and if that doubled or tripled, it would hurt.

I get the impression that the current administration is trying their best to get gas prices up over $10 and to remove sources of electricity without replacing them first, so if they get their way, it is going to get ugly.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:44 AM

8,863 posts, read 6,865,667 times
The cost of most things would go up but not massively. Gas prices (or diesel etc.) are a significant but not overwhelming component of most products or services.

Personally...transit agencies would have a hurdle and I'd pay a bit more for groceries. The price shock would probably make stock prices go down, so that would be an issue. Inner-city property values near jobs could grow.

Old 08-03-2022, 11:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
It wouldn't affect us at all as far as our own gas buying. I am only commuting to work 2 days a week now, but in a year I'll be retired, so any driving will be recreational, shopping, medical and with three vehicles, the two of us can go a long time between fill-ups. My wife is already retired but her commute was only a few blocks, anyway. What would affect us, along with everyone else, is the cost of everything that's delivered by truck, such as groceries, clothing, appliances, etc. We would probably not fly anywhere for vacations, because the jet fuel would be more than double, so air fares would go way up.

Old 08-03-2022, 01:53 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,421,828 times
States sitting on a lot of solar or hydroelectric power would be sitting pretty. In Seattle we actually have decent solar production in the summers and our electricity is 90%+ hydroelectric. Our winters are also mild which is easy on the batteries. So electric cars make a lot of sense. With our mild winters, electric heat pumps also make more sense than gas furnaces.

Long distance travel including air travel will tank hard.

Old 08-03-2022, 02:45 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
States sitting on a lot of solar or hydroelectric power would be sitting pretty. In Seattle we actually have decent solar production in the summers and our electricity is 90%+ hydroelectric. Our winters are also mild which is easy on the batteries. So electric cars make a lot of sense. With our mild winters, electric heat pumps also make more sense than gas furnaces.

Two points to consider:

1. There are multiple reasons why the grid will fail shortly, and one of them is the increasing likelihood of a strong EMP event. It won’t matter whether it comes from an air burst weapon, or a strong CME from the sun, everything electronic in our homes (and cars etc) will be rendered useless, unless, of course, they are protected by a faraday cage.

2. Seattle is on the ‘top five’ list of targets that enemies of the U.S. plan to strike, which will affect everyone within a 100-mile radius of Bangor (a major military base near Seattle). This will cripple the grid irreparably for decades, and if any other targets are hit, we’ll lose the N. American grid completely, and we won’t be able to reconstruct it for multiple decades, if at all.

In a ‘grid down’ scenario, fewer than one person in ten will survive for longer than six months. The majority will either starve or freeze to death, and those who rely on medication(s) to live won’t last long. Those who are hospitalized or who require treatment of any kind (surgery, dialyses, chemotherapy, etc) will die off quickly, and without the mercy of pain medication. Without antibiotics even a paper cut would be potentially lethal, not to mention all other infections that we currently treat with antibiotics without a second thought.

For a comprehensive view of what life without the grid would be like, I highly recommend the novel ‘One Second After’ by William R. Forstchen. If you live in Canada, or anywhere else with brutal winters, you won’t survive the first one without a large wood stove and the tools to harvest wood.

Blessings!

Last edited by Mahrie; 08-03-2022 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: Mistake.

Old 08-03-2022, 11:06 PM

39 posts, read 24,664 times
I rent a car whenever I need to travel long distances as it is, which isn't very often. I have most of the essentials I need within a half mile radius of my Jersey City condo. Jersey also has a pretty extensive public transit system, so I'm always just a a quick light right away from the Hoboken terminal which can take me to vast areas of the state, let alone NYC or Philly. I guess the reasons we pay so much in taxes here would start to make more sense after while, assuming $10/gal gas is a long term reality. (knowing much of the rest of the country would be forced to sell their homes and move closer to their jobs)

Old 08-04-2022, 08:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:

I have to disagree on this one. I had a business for 16 years in Bellevue, at a total of 3 different locations, all with heat pumps. Every winter, when it got below 20F I would have to use a space heater to keep from freezing to death when the heat pumps iced up and stopped working.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:05 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
our electricity is 90%+ hydroelectric.........

Depending upon the source, Washington State gets 3/4 or 2/3 of its electricity from hydro power, not 90+%, and there is a strong Greenie movement to remove dams, so there goes your hydro power if they get their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.