Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2011, 09:07 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
but they're liberal, LOL
Hey Bossman, the entire premise of this "Narnian" theory - is what smaller cities and some bigger cities want to prove (always in traditionally boring regions like the south/midwest). Their boosters literally invent, exaggerate, or intentionally skew data all day long, and get in serious arguments when another Narnian city claims to have even slightly more of the following:

gay population
gays in local politics
diversified food scene
foot "traffic"
density
high-rise units with "foot traffic" between them
light rail
liberal voting

San Francisco has all of those by default, therefore cannot be truly "Narnian" because it doesn't have to exaggerate anything to prove that. The more you examine this "Narnian" theory, you'll discover it's completely, across-the-board, spot-on accurate.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:28 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,919 times
You find it's dumb.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:57 PM

21 posts, read 35,602 times
Decided to come back to this thread, and damn, it grew 10 pages.

Yes, some cities do overblow certain aspects of their culture. But man, Ronnie, you are a real, insecure, scumbag. If this is how you handle debates on online discussion boards, I'm interested in how your day-to-day, interpersonal relationships are. You keep repeating the same points over and over; again, why are you so insecure?

Like a poster above said, it is all the "little people" that make your cities great. I don't like the South, but I'm not gonna tear apart their lifelong traditions and city loyalties for some convoluted reason.

On a side note; I don't think real city dwellers lay in bed at night worrying about **** like this. They're not irritated by the idea of other cities existing alongside theirs, and that's what differentiates you from them, Ronnie.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:39 PM

lol, the "reputation" comments keep coming in.

The last person even said "best city data thread ever!!! Cant stop laughing at the MAD Narnians!"

It has nothing to do with personal insecurity, or personal anything to begin with. I posted this in the past on other forums, some Narnians got very upset, of course, in true Narnian fashion - it's my fault. I even referred to this as "The Narnian Flip", when you point out how Narnian someone is, they get so mad and try turning it entirely on you because of their inability to rationalize being Narnian. There's never been a more exact word (in this usage) to describe how they are.

It's very elementary to take that route. It's also expected, this whole Narnian premise brings out feelings in Narnians that they typically don't know how to deal with at first. Basically, just pouting is the best the can do. After all, they can't deny how Narnian they are, but they hate the label, so it's all Ronnie's fault, lol.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:34 AM

815 posts, read 1,858,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I am a little surprised this thread has went on so long as it's just based on one guys term, a term that's not used anywhere else except for things he started.

I go on Wikipedia some. I could make up a term for cities, it would get deleted but still, and then come here to discuss what cities are it. In fact I considered doing a thread on "Tolkien cities" or as I'm more a science-fiction person maybe "Arrakean cities" or "Trantorian cities."
I also considered that

Old 10-27-2011, 11:53 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
I will admit, this thread left me scratching my head until I saw the Omaha stuff. Good gravy, that is some good stuff. I remember a couple of years ago the Omaha posters were going nuts on this forum. Someone would post a thread saying they were thinking of moving to New York City or the west coast and the first response virtually every time was "Well, have you thought about Omaha?" This was accompanied by a list or reasons someone should consider moving to Omaha over New York City. This included everything from the new Qwest Center to the fact that Omaha had a nice zoo. It was crazy.

I get it now.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:42 AM

Narnian cities would be a lot more normal if they weren't so Narnian. It just creates a really odd vibe in those places. You'll end up having to feign Narnian yourself if you live in one (or remain silent when the local Narnians start revving up), especially if you work at a large, community-minded corporation. There will be no way around it then. If you ask the wrong Narnian, "do people really think this is NYC or LA", and if they know you don't see it how they do - they will instantly get mad.

Another thing, you never see the Narnian effect with well-known college towns, at least nearly to the same extent. They don't need to prove liberalism, which is probably at least half the battle with Narnian cities.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:55 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,999 times
by far san francisco. that population of elitist knuckleheads is by far worse than anything encountered in new york city. it's a neat city but it's nowhere near as powerful and important as san franciscans like to think it is therefore the snobbery should be a fraction of what it actually is, especially in comparison to what i've experienced in nyc.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:57 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tollfree View Post
Narnian cities would be a lot more normal if they weren't so Narnian. It just creates a really odd vibe in those places. You'll end up having to feign Narnian yourself if you live in one (or remain silent when the local Narnians start revving up), especially if you work at a large, community-minded corporation. There will be no way around it then. If you ask the wrong Narnian, "do people really think this is NYC or LA", and if they know you don't see it how they do - they will instantly get mad.

Another thing, you never see the Narnian effect with well-known college towns, at least nearly to the same extent. They don't need to prove liberalism, which is probably at least half the battle with Narnian cities.
i don't know why you keep trying to bring up "proving liberalism" in every post. really, the only city that seems to care that much about PROVING how liberal they are is san francisco.

Last edited by Yac; 07-05-2018 at 05:39 AM..

Old 10-28-2011, 06:08 PM

They don't need to prove they are liberal, everyone knows it. The Narnian cities want to be perceived a way they truly are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.