Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 12:40 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tollfree View Post
It's basically O'hare now, the difference is only negligible, as they are both "international".
This *literally* makes no sense at all.

Last edited by Yac; 07-05-2018 at 05:43 AM..

Old 11-05-2011, 01:30 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
When has ANY of his posts made any sense?

Old 11-05-2011, 01:59 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
To address the bold in order:

I did the obligatory "Just Google it!!!!", and surprisingly enough, I didn't find a poll that would add statistical weight to my OBSERVATIONS AND OPINIONS on how people feel about the City of Indianapolis.

I know, it's a shocker. You would think that dozens of businesses, institutions, and universities would be falling all over each other trying to get the nation's pulse on the Circle City with scientific polls and surveys.

I think the problem with the internet is that people just read what is there. The internet would be a better place, I believe, if people COMPREHENDED what was written. This isn't against you personally, but people love to see what they want where they want it. My first assertation of who thinks what of the city of Indianapolis, after a second read, does make my stance definite, and not opinionated in nature. But then I quickly followed it up with:

"...I think that is a fair assessment of Indianapolis in the grand scheme of things. I don't have any empirical "data" for this, so take it as you want. But I'm certainly not trying to malign. Just trying to be honest..."

And then I close up with:

"...Those are my trying to be as objective as possible thoughts on a few things. In general, I don't think anyone thinks... Let me take that back.

No one but BroadRippleGuy has such an undying love for the city as to try and place it above where it belongs. Do many people want it to be better? Yes, I'm one of them..."

Then I delve into numbers to satisfy another poster who thought I was being more than heavy handed with my assessment of Indianapolis. I had a different view on what "some", "few", and "most" meant percentage wise. I decided to, once again, give my opinion on the matter with:

"I don't think we disagree. Let me attach some completely arbitrary and subjective percentages to what I posted earlier.

For the 6 million-ish residents of Indiana I would venture to guess that:

10% see Indy as excellent
30% see Indy as good
40% see Indy as average
20% see Indy as terrible

I do not think it is absurdly false to say that 80% of Indiana's citizens have an average to excellent perception of the city.

NOW FOR OUTSIDERS... that is the other 294,000,000 people in the United States, I would venture to guess that:

1% see Indy as an excellent fit for themselves
10% see Indy as a good " " "
40% see Indy as an average " " "
49% see Indy as a terrible " " "..."

I have added emphasis to my posts to point out the parts that make it known my posts were in no way factual. If someone is just reading posts then it could certainly seem like I was being disingenious with "disguising" opinion as fact.

But another read through, and an appreciation for words that were choosen carefully, not haphazardly, will indicate that I offered nothing more than a guess as to people's thoughts on Indianapolis.
Better.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:27 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Indianapolis is the most international city on earth, across the board.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Indianapolis is the most international city on earth, across the board.
Resorting to a straw man is a good sign that you've been defeated.

Last edited by Yac; 07-05-2018 at 05:43 AM..

Old 11-05-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Resorting to a straw man is a good sign that you've been defeated.
I was just kidding about it being the most international place on earth - although some seem to think it's in this Alpha World Class City Tier. Anyways, here is another good example of how Narnian it is.

//www.city-data.com/forum/india...lis-dying.html

In the "major" cities these Occupy movements are simply annoying. My friend in NYC said he specifically avoids them on his way to work, all they do is yell, chant, and act ridiculous. Yet, Indianapolis wants it, simply because it's still going strong in the "major" cities. They are worried if their movement loses steam, they won't be as major.

Narnian.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I was just kidding about it being the most international place on earth - although some seem to think it's in this Alpha World Class City Tier. Anyways, here is another good example of how Narnian it is.

//www.city-data.com/forum/india...lis-dying.html

In the "major" cities these Occupy movements are simply annoying. My friend in NYC said he specifically avoids them on his way to work, all they do is yell, chant, and act ridiculous. Yet, Indianapolis wants it, simply because it's still going strong in the "major" cities. They are worried if their movement loses steam, they won't be as major.

Narnian.
You are a world class idiot.

Last edited by Yac; 07-05-2018 at 05:42 AM..

Old 11-05-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
You are a world class idiot.
Getting frivolous now, expected from a world-class Narnian.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:09 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,812,226 times
Quote:
It claims to be International; therefore it is. Anyone can declare anything international if they'd like. Does that mean it's perceived as "international", probably not. I don't think some of the posters get that. After all, they are Narnian.
The word "international" in relationship to an airport has a very cut and dried technical meaning. Such an airport is an official port of entry with a customs station that can process goods and people entering the US from abroad. In less busy ports of entry the customs office is only staffed when necessary. There is nothing aspirational about the term, if you are an officially designated port of entry you are an international airport.

Last edited by Yac; 07-05-2018 at 05:40 AM..

Old 11-06-2011, 01:52 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Perhaps Memphis, Tennessee

narnia.org

Note: Actually they do have like a gigantic pyramid I think, and Graceland, so that's some fanciful type stuff. The mods must like this topic or deem it harmless I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.