Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 12:37 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,272 times

Advertisements

I can deal with the heat and humidity much more easily than the cold. 100 degrees and 60% humidity really don't bother me much honestly, just have to stay hydrated.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:59 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Thank you. I always wonder why people tend to make northern winters out to be so much worse than southern summers. If someone is happy and settled in Chicago, why in the world would they want to move just because of a few months of bad weather? Ditto someone in Texas who has endured this summer's drought. Aren't we tougher than this? Chicago is a city with a lot to offer, why would someone be put off by some snow and cold temperatures? I haven't seen any threads about people wanting to leave Dallas because of the heat. Just sayin'...
Well it's not necessarily equal evils. You can still do many more things outdoors in the summer and you don't have to shovel or scrape heat, your car doesn't slide around on the roads and cause accidents. You don't have to wear layers upon layers of clothes to feel somewhat comfortable. People dont get seaonal affective disorder in the Texas summers. Plus in the summer when the sun goes down the temps tend to cool off some. In the winter up north its freezing during the day and even colder at night.

The pleasant weather months in the summer up north are not different than the pleasant weather months in the South, the months in the South are just not the summer months. A few months of hot/sunny weather is fine with me in return for more pleasurable year round temps.

I guess I'm just not much of a cold weather person. We get a week or so of cold weather in Dallas each winter, so we do still get a taste of winters wrath, but thats about as much I can take of it.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:16 PM

914 posts, read 2,104,042 times
it's not cold or brutal unless the highs are -40 and lows are -60, like what they get in Siberia. Bring on the cold weather. I love it

Old 10-09-2011, 02:26 PM

14,680 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Quote:
Good point.

As a native Ohioan who has lived in Michigan (happily) for the past 14 years, I can think of several things that I actually appreciate about our cold, snowy winters.

--a break from yardwork and other outdoor, summertime chores

--a break from bugs

--a break from heat and humidity. We get some wiltingly hot and miserable days here in Michigan every summer, just enough to let me know that I would never survive in Florida year round.

--there is nothing quite like sitting in a cozy house with a cup of coffee and looking out at a beautiful snowfall and having nowhere to go

--snow days for the kids

--getting to wear pretty winter sweaters and coats and bundle up in fuzzy robes and pajamas

--seeing the snow glisten and sparkle on one of those blindingly sunny January days

I guess cold winters are like anything else in life--you can see it with a glass half full attitude or a glass half empty attitude.
I think a big issue is that many of us do have somewhere to go, such as working in a field where we can't take even a day off let alone a week.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:33 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,773 times
Quote:
Thank you. I always wonder why people tend to make northern winters out to be so much worse than southern summers.
oh, please. you people are crazy if you think that southern summers are more unbearable than northern winters. if nothern winters are so great, then why are you all huddled inside the whole season? why is it that people are out and about in the south in july and august while in january and february up north, hardly anybody is out?

Old 10-09-2011, 03:04 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,773 times
Quote:
Good point.

As a native Ohioan who has lived in Michigan (happily) for the past 14 years, I can think of several things that I actually appreciate about our cold, snowy winters.

--a break from yardwork and other outdoor, summertime chores
how about shoveling? snowblowing? how about the complete mess your yard becomes? how about all of the crap on your car?

Quote:
--a break from bugs
you must be a woman. i work outside. i'm a construction worker. i can deal with it just fine.

Quote:
--a break from heat and humidity. We get some wiltingly hot and miserable days here in Michigan every summer, just enough to let me know that I would never survive in Florida year round.
people are outside way more on hot days than cold days. but you'll still say cold weather is more bearable?

Quote:
--there is nothing quite like sitting in a cozy house with a cup of coffee and looking out at a beautiful snowfall and having nowhere to go
you wouldn't be saying that when you're sitting in traffic for 3 hours and having to work outside for a living. you must be a woman. it's only cozy" to a woman who can sit inside the whole time. you have no yard work in winter (so your husband must be doing it all), so of course it's cozy to you. how about for me when it took 7 HOURS to drive 12 miles for 4 inches of snow on january 26th (same storm as the 3rd video down)?

but it's nice that you find it "cozy."

Quote:
--snow days for the kids
i'll admit those kicked !%&.

Quote:
--getting to wear pretty winter sweaters and coats and bundle up in fuzzy robes and pajamas
lol

Quote:
--seeing the snow glisten and sparkle on one of those blindingly sunny January days
those are uv rays bouncing right back up in your eyes. i'm real protective of my eyes. i have an eye doctor in the family so i've heard stories.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:57 PM

275 posts, read 836,396 times
having moved to houston from chicago several years ago, i will take a chicago winter (even a "bad one") over a regular houston summer. it's really just a personal preference. some ppl like the feeling of the heater being on rather than the a/c. as far as all this talk about shoveling, it doesn't snow everyday!! it's more like several times a winter. it's not often enough to cause one's plans to change that much on a day to day basis. if u're at work and it starts snowing, by the time u're ready to go home, the streets are cleared or are at least not that bad. cities that experience snow are pretty good about dealing with it (the plows, the salt, etc) and the drivers know how to manage as well (even if that means just staying in after work once a month). maybe about once per winter i would experience a very significant delay (double the time) in my usual commute. i can understand why a construction worker would hate a place that is cold, but a majority of ppl do not work outdoors. i think people in houston are more anti-outdoors than in chicago. chicagoans have great summers and can still carry on in the winter. doing outdoorsy stuff in 50 degree weather isn't unheard of. kids play outside at recess in school even in the winter. in houston, try to suggest walking somewhere (even nearby), and you might get "you don't walk here, it's houston!".

Old 10-09-2011, 07:14 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,520,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
oh, please. you people are crazy if you think that southern summers are more unbearable than northern winters. if nothern winters are so great, then why are you all huddled inside the whole season? why is it that people are out and about in the south in july and august while in january and february up north, hardly anybody is out?
really? huddled inside? i have friends in pittsburgh that look forward to winter every single year because they ski 3-4 times a week. outside for hours. on the other hand, i know people in florida who don't leave their house in summer unless its to buy food. go figure.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:32 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
Not true, as life still goes on during the winter. It's not like people just hibernate and stay inside. There's something called preparedness in terms of dealing with the snow. So, places that are used to it deal with it in a timely manner.

There is a give and take in terms of weather. I knew it was serious when there were 100 degree temps in SC and during my Basic Training, the Army made us roll up our pant legs and take our BDU tops off. Many a canteen was emptied out due to thirst during that time.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:09 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
You have the media to thank for that. In every one of their lists of "most miserable cities", they include harsh winters as making a city miserable. They always list the really hot cities in the summers as the most enjoyable. It's really quite absurd as a lot of people in the cold cities happen to enjoy the cold and snow and many people in the deep south aren't exactly happy with the extreme heat day after day in the summer. I don't see how winter weather automatically makes a city "miserable", but people are easily influenced by what they read and watch within media.
You got this right gobucks. I see the media hype hot weather locations all the time and downgrade areas that have a real winter. I myself prefer the cold, even extreme below zero cold to heat and humidity. The key is definitely being prepared. Weather is one of the reasons I've moved to North Dakota from Chicago. How's that for a move!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.