Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major U.S. city has the most racist population?
New York 14 7.78%
L.A. 19 10.56%
Chicago 60 33.33%
Houston 20 11.11%
Boston 46 25.56%
Miami 21 11.67%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 04:38 PM

53 posts, read 87,675 times

Advertisements

If you are looking for racism and segregation, look into the penitentiary system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 04:41 PM

811 posts, read 1,053,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
From my experience, a lot of segregation these days is by choice, and white people aren't the only ones to do it either. When I was in middle school, I noticed how all the black kids on my bus liked to sit in the back, and they chose the seats themselves. It was ironic, considering Rosa Parks fought so she didn't have to sit back there.
Good point

Old 08-03-2012, 04:43 PM

811 posts, read 1,053,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamaniak View Post
Yes of course there can be racism towards whites. There can be racism towards ANY group. BUT,IMHO (actually there quite a few facts in there also)the difference between Black on White racism, and to a certain extent other groups who are racist towards Whites is American history. Not trying to argue so let me explain. White people have been at the top of the food chain in this country almost from the start. Whites enforced Manifest Destiny,slavery,Jim Crow,etc. The so-called "Founding Fathers" and others of their time saw Whites as superior. Now of course not ALL of them some did believe the Native Americans,Blacks and others should be free to follow their own destiny but they still did not see them as equals. Long story short white men of that era never thought the world would change and it has. Bottom line is that yes even though this was hundreds of years ago they left this generation of white people holding the bag. Personally I don't think a huge majority of whites are racists. But you have to remember that the Civil Rights Movement wasn't that long ago (in terms of history 50 plus years may as well be YESTERDAY)so down here in VA you may have the black store owner who may see the same white Klansman who torched his store in 1960. Whites are a majority in government,the title holders if you will. So yes there is racism towards white but in reality it really can't harm whites the same way white on black racism has hurt blacks and others. And for the record let me put this out there:

1. I DO NOT condone racism of any type. It's against God's laws

2.I DO NOT think the "white man" is keeping me "down"

3.I DO NOT think Jesse and Al are some type of "leaders"

Take care...
Don't downplay racism against whites.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:15 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane1392832 View Post
If you are looking for racism and segregation, look into the penitentiary system.
Let's do that!

Old 08-05-2012, 10:58 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
The day I receive as much flack and Prejudice moans like that of the black Men/Women I will discount
the lengths of racism toward myself and family.

I have felt little racism but have seen racism to unbelieveable degrees toward the ethnic communities and members. Pull your cranium out of your rear.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:16 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,522 times
Boston has its share of openly racist people. For those who say the deep South is the most racist place...there are a lot of Northern cities where segregation, both racial and economic, is deeply embedded.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:23 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
I downplay it all the time.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:51 PM

690 posts, read 963,597 times
interesting that southern cities are not the most segregated ones

Old 06-07-2013, 05:57 PM

188 posts, read 376,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
interesting that southern cities are not the most segregated ones
For better or mostly for worse, the people in south got used to living among blacks over a long time and the cities were more mixed because they needed them early on for labor. However, northern cities got their black population during the "great migration" when there was a large influx all at once. They tended to settle together in what are today the de facto segregated black neighborhoods. There was massive white flight too because they were not used to living in close proximity to black people, unlike the southerners. I'm speaking in huge generalizations so don't get offended but that is basically what happened.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:59 PM

690 posts, read 963,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHamez View Post
For better or mostly for worse, the people in south got used to living among blacks over a long time and the cities were more mixed because they needed them early on for labor. However, northern cities got their black population during the "great migration" when there was a large influx all at once. They tended to settle together in what are today the de facto segregated black neighborhoods. There was massive white flight too because they were not used to living in close proximity to black people, unlike the southerners. I'm speaking in huge generalizations so don't get offended but that is basically what happened.
so does it mean southern cities are less racist today than northern cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.