Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major U.S. city has the most racist population?
New York 14 7.78%
L.A. 19 10.56%
Chicago 60 33.33%
Houston 20 11.11%
Boston 46 25.56%
Miami 21 11.67%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 04:49 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Chicago, New York, Milwaukee and Detroit are the most segregated areas in the country. Chicago is pretty bad when it comes to racism. The others probably aren't too great either. In fact, this whole country is very racist. It is what it is.
Agree. It's funny how places like Seattle, San Francisco Minneapolis, Portland, and other "progressive" cities are commended for their race relations but the truth is none of these places have alot of minorities anyway (exception: San Francisco).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 06:19 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Agree. It's funny how places like Seattle, San Francisco Minneapolis, Portland, and other "progressive" cities are commended for their race relations but the truth is none of these places have alot of minorities anyway (exception: San Francisco).
Even though I was born out in the midwest, I've never really frequented the cities you mentioned to really get a personal taste of any of them.
However, you are pretty much right about the west coast thinking of itself as full of diversity and free of discrimination.
One example would be LA and how it seems that blacks, whites and Hispanics tend to live in different parts of town.
Most are cool with "crossing over" and intermingling for the most part, but then you get those few that fear "the other end of town".

Of all the things that bother and get me down in this world, I wander anywhere I please.
If someones going to jump or take a bottle to my head, that's life.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:33 PM

27,562 posts, read 28,659,961 times
So, anyone want to explain why Chicago is getting so many more votes than the other cities? What's so different in Chicago?

Old 10-10-2011, 06:57 PM

35 posts, read 85,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, anyone want to explain why Chicago is getting so many more votes than the other cities? What's so different in Chicago?
Chicago is the most segregated major city in America. Google the Chicago Tribune article on this...there is a disgusting level of ignorance that rears its head in Chicago, as with many cities, and its damn near celebrated by too many locals and seemingly many sports fans of Chicago. The "diversity" is better than it use to be, but Chicago is still living in the 50s in many clannish neighborhood s due to its tainted history and culture being inherited by newer generations. Several books on the subject too.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:14 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Welcome back yet again Dementor. What is this, 60, 70 times at least?

Old 10-10-2011, 07:33 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,811,724 times
The most racist people I know are my relatives in Chicago, that is why I voted for it. The southern part of my family seems much more comfortable being around people of other races.

Unlike the south, cities like Chicago and Detroit were never forced to face their issues.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:54 PM

604 posts, read 1,521,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Actually the areas outside of Seattle have plenty of minorities, just not many African Americans.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:09 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,759 times
Chicago's particular brand of racism is interesting in the respect, it's almost entirely geared towards blacks.

It seems like an integrated city for all other minorities, except blacks. Take Woodfield Mall for example in Schaumburg, has shoppers from all over the Chicagoland area, but you will rarely see many blacks there.

You'll see lots of every race, except black. I'm only using that as example, but it seems to be true across the board, unless you are in a black neighborhood.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Chicago's particular brand of racism is interesting in the respect, it's almost entirely geared towards blacks.

It seems like an integrated city for all other minorities, except blacks. Take Woodfield Mall for example in Schaumburg, has shoppers from all over the Chicagoland area, but you will rarely see many blacks there.

You'll see lots of every race, except black. I'm only using that as example, but it seems to be true across the board, unless you are in a black neighborhood.
I'll be honest, I dont agree with alot of your posts and I find them annoying, but I gotta agree with this 100%. There are a few exceptions to the rule though. When people say Chicago is the most segregated city they ussually mean blacks vs. Everyone else.

As far as Woodfeild Mall is concerned that just reflects the deographics of the area. Thw NW side/NW burbs are mostly White, Asian, and Latino. Very few blacks.

Edit:With all that said, This doesn't mean every single white person in Chicago is a racist.

mas23

Last edited by mas23; 10-10-2011 at 10:20 PM..

Old 10-10-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Even though I was born out in the midwest, I've never really frequented the cities you mentioned to really get a personal taste of any of them.
However, you are pretty much right about the west coast thinking of itself as full of diversity and free of discrimination.
One example would be LA and how it seems that blacks, whites and Hispanics tend to live in different parts of town.
Most are cool with "crossing over" and intermingling for the most part, but then you get those few that fear "the other end of town".

Of all the things that bother and get me down in this world, I wander anywhere I please.
If someones going to jump or take a bottle to my head, that's life.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.