Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 12:46 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
They move here because of the climate and low costs. Also most New Yorkers are not that bad and most are easy going and friendly. A common misconception. Lastly you will find New Yorkers are just about everywhere, they are not limited to Florida retirees. If you want to point fingers at a place for rotten people that would be Jersey by a long shot.
This NYer nearly wound up in the Tampa area via marriage. Thank God I didn't. Not that Tampa is bad -- it's the guy who turned out to be an @ss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 01:33 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,118,057 times
NASA didnt loose any jobs. The space shuttle program ended. What were they going to do, keep an antique operational so people have jobs? Maybe, as the government still has a "war on drugs" that keeps 100's of thousands employed. When the electric refrigerator was invented lots of icemen lost their jobs too.

A lot of these people will wind up staying in the industry working for private companies that want to do what NASA has been doing for years and take it up a notch because they won't be limited by Federal funding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
NASA just lost 5,000 jobs. I know two Boeing contractors who relocated to the Seattle area about a year ago, that was the only way to maintain employment with Boeing.

Those job losses created a domino effect on the Space Coast in regards to real estate and other businesses.

FL is in big trouble and worse off than most states due to an economy based on tourism, construction, and retirees all of which have been hard hit.

You have people up north who can't sell their house or find out they can't retire when they planned on it.

The FL economy is not diverse enough, never has been, and is suffering more than other states because of it.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:52 PM

305 posts, read 610,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
NASA just lost 5,000 jobs. I know two Boeing contractors who relocated to the Seattle area about a year ago, that was the only way to maintain employment with Boeing.

Those job losses created a domino effect on the Space Coast in regards to real estate and other businesses.

FL is in big trouble and worse off than most states due to an economy based on tourism, construction, and retirees all of which have been hard hit.

You have people up north who can't sell their house or find out they can't retire when they planned on it.

The FL economy is not diverse enough, never has been, and is suffering more than other states because of it.
Man your really reaching. The defense industry and the space industry thrives in FL, because that's where military bases and NASA reside. As long as they're still there, it will always thrive. BTW, Boeing is Headquatered in Washington. Again, your comparing this against LI NY which has businesses running, not walking, to leave, while public employe unions have put a strangle hold on the tax payers. You can make more money in FL, you just have to know how to get it.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:18 PM

815 posts, read 1,856,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPhinfan13 View Post
Man your really reaching. The defense industry and the space industry thrives in FL, because that's where military bases and NASA reside. As long as they're still there, it will always thrive. BTW, Boeing is Headquatered in Washington. Again, your comparing this against LI NY which has businesses running, not walking, to leave, while public employe unions have put a strangle hold on the tax payers. You can make more money in FL, you just have to know how to get it.
Boeing is HQ in Chicago.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:19 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
To be with other New Yorkers...and then some of them move again, from Florida to North Carolina (half way back).

Old 10-22-2011, 02:42 AM

144 posts, read 270,502 times
The NY to FL connection has always been strong, especially in south FL.

Although Flagler County in northeast FL, the county (especially the city of Palm Coast) has tons of Ny'ers and other northeasterners.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:24 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,949,791 times
Well, for older people its that there is no state inheretence tax. Your relatives can leave you a stash and you don't pay state tax.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,262 times
Default no

New yorkers also move to Nova and Maryland.Those places have good economies and low cost of living too

Old 03-08-2012, 11:56 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by falfoljoils View Post
New yorkers also move to Nova and Maryland.Those places have good economies and low cost of living too
Maryland and Northern VA have low costs of living?

Old 08-18-2013, 07:42 PM

15 posts, read 61,632 times
I live in Florida and I'm still here after 16 years.. I see a lot of New Yorkers who are here in Orlando that moved from NYC and they always "I love NY" and would move back but some will say "I like it here in Florida because its not so bad and crowded! But what does New York have that Florida Doesn't have?? When I here people say I love NY, I'm like do u like the cold tempatures then? I don't understand that's why I want to visit NYC one day but I'm far from NY because I live in Orlando . I hate florida because its so HOT and HUMID! Ugh. I'm planning to move to Raleigh later because I would rather shiver than sweat and stink, I like 4 weather seasons.. snow and colored leaves Not here in Florida u don't see that (
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.