Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better set of cities?
I-5 cities (Seattle, Portland, SFC/Oakland, LA, SD 70 27.67%
I-95 cities (Boston, NYC, Philly, Bmore, DC, Miami) 183 72.33%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2019, 10:44 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMale29 View Post
Absolutely. Also name me one city like Stockton, CA on the east coast.

FYI, I am PakiStani Muslim American and Stockton is known as Little Pakistan of the West Coast. So again, name me a city like Stockton back east.

The West Coast is Superior.

Miami has the largest Cuban population, name me a city like Miami on the West Coast?

Cities being superior have nothing to do with their ethnic make up
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 11:00 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
This is a no-brainer. There is just so much more variety, culturally, between Miami and Boston, than there is between San Diego and Seattle.

People say all the time how much Seattle reminds them of San Francisco. I find Washington state to be very similar to California, just gloomier and cooler.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:49 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Definitely not 100 times bigger.

Even though it doesn't hit as many major cities, I think US-101 is the best highway to get the full splendor of the West Coast.
...As US 1 is the best highway to experience the full splendor of the East Coast (Ft. Kent, ME to Key West, FL). And it goes right thru the heart of the major cities, too!

Old 07-23-2019, 10:42 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
I-5 is a much simpler drive outside of the major cities. I-95 is congested seemingly almost everywhere. But yes, I-95 serves more major cities. So if we define this based on cities, I-95 wins. Duh, the east coast is more populated than the west coast along this route. If we define this based on easy transport, I-5 wins. For scenery, I-5 by a mile or miles...

Old 07-24-2019, 09:20 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I-5 is a much simpler drive outside of the major cities. I-95 is congested seemingly almost everywhere. But yes, I-95 serves more major cities. So if we define this based on cities, I-95 wins. Duh, the east coast is more populated than the west coast along this route. If we define this based on easy transport, I-5 wins. For scenery, I-5 by a mile or miles...
Agreed on both counts.

It's funny though because I think the best scenery on 5 beats anything that 95 has to offer by a country mile. But I would say that the worst of I-5 is worse than anything on 95. I-5 is still easily the most scenic overall. It's an easy drive too. As someone who has regularly used I-95 between Boston and Washington, there are very few interstates that are more frustarting to drive.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:02 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
I-5 does have one stretch that is absolutely a yawn. Just north of the Grapevine all the way up to Stockton.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:12 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I-5 does have one stretch that is absolutely a yawn. Just north of the Grapevine all the way up to Stockton.
That is the ugliest stretch of roadway in the nation. It's open brown fields and dry, barren hillsides.

Most of the Central Valley cities (Fresno, Bakersfield, Modesto, etc...) are all on the 99 freeway so the 5 is just nothing. You do get radio stations from those cities, but see nothing. The 5 is mostly big trucks and impatient Bay Area/LA commuters.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:25 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
95 for cities, 5 for scenery (at least from SD up to OC).

Old 08-20-2019, 05:26 PM

260 posts, read 323,849 times
You could not pay me to live off the I-95 corridor (within' a 20-mile radius from the Interstate), anywhere between DC and Boston. And this South Florida hustle and bustle is growing long in the tooth for me.

Virginia and The Carolinas are nice to visit and I could definitely see myself residing there. Maine is a great state through and through. Ranks among the lowest violent-crime rates in the country. Lots of nature. Great quality of life. Much cheaper than NJ or CT, so there's more bang for your buck. Note that north and east of Bangor, and up until' the border with New Brunswick, the Interstate 95 corridor is desolate as hell--at least when compared to the Boston-DC corridor.

I WOULD hand the medal over to Interstate 5, if only for the Pacific Northwest, but I have never been there so I have no frame of reference.

Actually, the Interstate 25 corridor is where it's at for me. All killer, no filler, everywhere between New Mexico and Montana (those states I HAVE been to).

Old 08-20-2019, 08:14 PM

330 posts, read 293,449 times
Have been on both I5 and I95 many times. Of course I95, this is a no brainer question.

NYC alone is greater than everything combined on the I5

Needless to say I95 has DC, Philly, Boston, Baltimore

I would even go ahead and argue that I95 has way better scenery as well. Lakes, rivers, forests, as well as so many small cute towns in NJ, PA, MA

On the other hand, the drive from LA to NorCal through I5 is boring as hell even though it is the fastest route, would much rather prefer the longer PCH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.